When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

35 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This vaccine really is a an amazing achievement when you think how long usually takes.

Yep, makes you wonder what else we could achieve if we had similar resolve with other issues, like climate change

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I doubt it. They very much wants things back to normal asap

They definitely don't. Anything with the word 'lockdown' or 'vaccine' in gets an extreme amount of engagement compared to any other content they push out, so they'll be finding new angles and scare stories about this for months to come.

59 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

The mask wearing in the east thing is interesting - Japan has a great healthcare system with very little spend, mostly (IMHO) because of their generally healthier lifestyle. With mask wearing I think a lot of it is because they're a collectivist society, more focus on the general good rather than the good of the individual.

Must say, the fabric masks keep my face nice and warm on a cold day- don't even have to put on a hat! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jannybruck said:

They definitely don't. Anything with the word 'lockdown' or 'vaccine' in gets an extreme amount of engagement compared to any other content they push out, so they'll be finding new angles and scare stories about this for months to come.

It was the same with Brexit too. 

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This cold storage required for the vaccine will make it hard to roll out to some parts of the world with poor infrastructure etc.

There's an ebola vaccine with similar cold storage requirements and they've managed to get several hundred thousand doses out to the democratic Republic of the congo.

Obstacles maybe not as insurmountable as people think.

30 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And if I have a serious respiratory disease, I won't go out.

If you have a minor respiratory disease? I mean I don't think offices will want people with colds coming into the office anymore so may be a moot point for some of us, but I think the guy sniffling away on the train is going to be less socially acceptable in the future too.

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

We are at risk of categorizing "the media" as one thing here when there are two distinct groups. Physical newspaper and magazine sales have absolutely tanked over lockdown. Those who still have a physical presence will want things back to normal as soon as possible. Those that down will benefit from people staying in more and not buying those physical papers. Two huge groups, both with vested interests.

I assume all those in favour of mask wearing on public transport once the vaccination is in play will be easy to spot at the festival when it next happens because when they are in the JP tent for instance they will be wearing a mask?

Same thing no?

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So.... If the vulnerable and helath workers are all vaccinated by end of Feb say

Would you say its worth maintaining social distancing for the remote risk of Long Covid?

I think there may still be concerns around NHS capacity if we let it rip in the rest of us - obviously the older ones are at risk of bad outcomes but we have ten thousand in hospital now and that will be a bigger spread of ages. and we're currently attempting to stop it. So I think social distancing will stay at the very least until a significant amount of that list of eligible people are vaccinated

I've always guessed May for any kind of significant improvement in lifestyle and that hasn't changed

Edited by efcfanwirral

13 minutes ago, topmarksbri said:

So if you had a cold/were sick you wouldn't wear a mask? Do you not think that would be a considerate thing to do?

That’s a bit of a twist on people’s words. I for one would happily wear a mask when sick but have no intention of doing so all the time (post pandemic)

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

So.... If the vulnerable and helath workers are all vaccinated by end of Feb say

Would you say its worth maintaining social distancing for the remote risk of Long Covid?

No. Long covid is horrible and we need to be doing more research into treatments for it, but it’s not something to be mothballing society over imo 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

That’s a bit of a twist on people’s words. I for one would happily wear a mask when sick but have no intention of doing so all the time (post pandemic)

Yeah I think that's completely fair enough! 

8 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I assume all those in favour of mask wearing on public transport once the vaccination is in play will be easy to spot at the festival when it next happens because when they are in the JP tent for instance they will be wearing a mask?

Same thing no?

I think there's a difference between people saying we should wear them all the time and wear them when we're sick - if I was sick I probably wouldn't be in the JP (tbh never in JP anyway but w/e). As I mentioned earlier in the thread, if we can keep general infection down across the population for any disease I think that's a good thing?