When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Think of it like this. Different animals serve humans in different ways.

The role of a dog or a cat is to provide companionship and to look cute.

The role of a cow is to give us milk and to taste nice. 

The role of a bat is to spread viruses to us, and hence we’d be better off without them. 

The bat is just being a bat and does not anticipate a human making a bat burger you absolute 🔔🔚

4 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Watching Match of the Day and these football fixtures (or any sport or event!) really do need fans back in the grounds...

When do we think that will happen - even at a limited capacity? I’d hope for spring (early April?) but not sure if that’s too optimistic.

I’d agree it will likely be March maybe some limited numbers in some of the bigger stadiums slightly before ... and maybe testing will be such that this can work  in some of the moonshot areas before even that ... 

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Watching Match of the Day and these football fixtures (or any sport or event!) really do need fans back in the grounds...

When do we think that will happen - even at a limited capacity? I’d hope for spring (early April?) but not sure if that’s too optimistic.

Interesting that Ross County had 300 socially distanced fans at their Scottish premiership game on Friday and NI allowing 1000 for their Euro 2021 playoff 

29 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting that Ross County had 300 socially distanced fans at their Scottish premiership game on Friday and NI allowing 1000 for their Euro 2021 playoff 

It'll come sooner then we think. 

Hoping this month is allowing them to get on with proper planning for a passed return of society with checkpoints for certain activities and much much more testing.

9 hours ago, mattiloy said:

actually they have. they've been selectively bred to be docile, domesticated and physically larger, yielding more meat. they have been evolved to be eaten by us.

you could also argue that on a species level, the best thing an animal can do is to be useful to humans. chickens are, from an evolutionary perspective, probably the most successful bird on earth.

of course, thats to say nothing on the morality of it.

Woah. Sounds almost sociopathic put like that. I am saying the exact same thing chickens are bred to be meat. Forced evolution. Like breeding a dog to have a small pug nose to be cute and getting life long breathing problems from birth. Fucking disgusting what humans have done to animals. Great Simon Amstell comedy about this subject called "carnage" 

11 hours ago, mattiloy said:

you could also argue that on a species level, the best thing an animal can do is to be useful to humans. chickens are, from an evolutionary perspective, probably the most successful bird on earth.

I don't know about that, domestication certainly allows for a temporary explosion in population but at the expense of genetic diversity so evolutionary chickens look like something of a dead end. Chickens wouldn't survive the end of human society or even the veganisation of human society. I suspect in 100,000 years time there will be no direct descendants of the modern chicken.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

I don't know about that, domestication certainly allows for a temporary explosion in population but at the expense of genetic diversity so evolutionary chickens look like something of a dead end. Chickens wouldn't survive the end of human society or even the veganisation of human society. I suspect in 100,000 years time there will be no direct descendants of the modern chicken.

You think humans won’t survive another 100,000 years? (Or we’ll have stopped eating meat?)

9 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Record attendence for Ross County then  🙂 😁

11 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I’m not too fussed about fans tbh. Yeah it will improve the atmosphere, but the games have largely been awesome so far regardless. Really entertaining stuff. It’s going to be a life saver (bit ott but you get my point) over Christmas if we’re still locked down.

What they do need, desperately, is a five sub rule to come in.

edit: I must say, obviously, the game needs fans back ASAP (as long as it’s safe) to help the clubs financially. I was just talking about from an entertainment perspective. 

Edited by jparx

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

I’m not too fussed about fans tbh. Yeah it will improve the atmosphere, but the games have largely been awesome so far regardless. Really entertaining stuff. It’s going to be a life saver (bit ott but you get my point) over Christmas if we’re still locked down.

edit: I must say, obviously, the game needs fans back ASAP (as long as it’s safe) to help the clubs financially. I was just talking about from an entertainment perspective. 

The premier league doesn’t need fans, but the lower leagues desperately do. 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The premier league doesn’t need fans, but the lower leagues desperately do. 

Yeah I know, but the initial discussion was started because of someone watching MOTD.

I don’t see why they couldn’t start getting fans back for lower league games now (or after lockdown) on a trial period. I get the argument with PL clubs as it puts pressure on public transport. 50 fans turning up a Mansfield game wouldn’t really be too bad and it could be controlled. Feels like the government has just admitted defeat on it without any effort.

34 minutes ago, jparx said:

Who do you support?

Government Minister George Eustice told BBC Breakfast: "A test is only as good as the speed with which you can turn a result around.

No George, a test is only as good as its ability to give a meaningful correct result.

Edited by Lycra

2 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Government Minister George Eustice told BBC Breakfast: "A test is only as good as the speed with which you can turn a result around.

No George, a test is only as good as its ability to give a meaningful correct result.

Isn’t Chris Whitty arguing that quick turnaround is more important than capacity? I mean, feel free to disagree with him. But there’s definitely backing in the medical community for what Eustice said