When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Other than Sheffield not many students in the rest of South Yorkshire, that was in decline too. 

Perhaps it reached its natural peak or maybe just the fact that cases were sky rocketing and what was happening over the hills changed people's behaviour. 

I think it's just about when I would have expected in Manchester though.

14 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Not sure, but Liverpool has been in decline for a while. Maybe the virus has reached saturation in university age?

that's my take, and that looks to be what's happening in Bristol too.

Unfortunately in Bristol it's spread out to the general population from the students so the rate is still growing but it appears to be slowing down.

Rates in Liverpool are falling but the small increase in the older age groups hits far worse than the original massive increase in the younger ages.

The main hospital is at breaking point and with the increase in the wrong demographic things look bleak.

17 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Rates in Liverpool are falling but the small increase in the older age groups hits far worse than the original massive increase in the younger ages.

The main hospital is at breaking point and with the increase in the wrong demographic things look bleak.

Bleak indeed. My dad's side of the family is up there. He is 67 and has COPD, luckily he has shielded since March but has unfortunately lost 6 friends to Covid in the last 4-5 weeks.

8 minutes ago, Ducky89 said:

Bleak indeed. My dad's side of the family is up there. He is 67 and has COPD, luckily he has shielded since March but has unfortunately lost 6 friends to Covid in the last 4-5 weeks.

That's horrible mate, I'm really sorry to hear that.

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

This lockdown will definitely end on the 2nd depending on if we get the R down. 

Nicely cleared up there Bojo. 

Remember at the beginning when the R was the most important factor, then when it started to go back to go back up we were told it wasn't? Now it is again. 

I actually agree with Johnson this time - there isn't a lot that can be said now, we just need to see what happens in the next few weeks and just get on with it, see what happens in Liverpool etc

Personally I think they've made a mistake in picking Liverpool as I don't think compliance will be high at all, but I guess they want somewhere they don't care about to have an artificially HUGE infection rate in case it fails so I can see why they've done it. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Starmer's argument doesn't make sense, if a 4 week lockdown ends with cases still rising, then lockdowns clearly don't work and so there would be no point in continuing. a few weeks ago he thought a 2 week lockdown would be effective so why wouldn't a 4 week lockdown reduce cases?

56 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Shielding reintroduced @crazyfool1

Clinically extremely vulnerable* advised to stay home at all times apart from outdoor exercise and medical appointments.

* - I assume this means the VERY vulnerable (e.g. people on chemo/immunosuppressants) and not everyone over 70 or with any medical condition. 

That’s great news ... sadly not me (yet ) if you know someone that fits in that category ... don’t forget to give them a quick call to keep their spirits raised ... hopefully just the 4 weeks should be more manageable mental health wise ... thanks for the tag :) 

13 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Starmer's argument doesn't make sense, if a 4 week lockdown ends with cases still rising, then lockdowns clearly don't work and so there would be no point in continuing. a few weeks ago he thought a 2 week lockdown would be effective so why wouldn't a 4 week lockdown reduce cases?

Lockdowns also slow the rate of increase - it's not all about reversing it in a short period. They're also meant to give time to institute further measures such as T&T, something these donkeys are miserably failing at.

If the rate can be slowed or reversed that is essential to give ICUs and ICU staff the breathing space they need to cope.

It's not the simplistic argument you make.

37 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Remember at the beginning when the R was the most important factor, then when it started to go back to go back up we were told it wasn't? Now it is again. 

To be fair, I remember being told it was less important when it went down. Or rather when cases were low.

Edited by stuartbert two hats