When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Copperface said:

The exemption to breach gathering numbers etc (which was always there) has been removed so such gatherings will be prohibited depending on the prevailing Tier or lockdown regs in force at the time in whichever area. Up till now demonstrations could take place as long as organisers presented a covid secure plan. Often, when those plans were breached, then the demonstration was declared unlawful under the regs.

So basically, they haven't banned them, they have just removed the exemption clauses. Semantics maybe, but important.

Yeah, they weren't allowed then they were and now they're not. Basically same as in March

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

True, but there's a bunch of other things that are pretty much eradicated. If anti-vaxxers hadn't gotten in the way, measles would be under control (and it mostly still is), polio is all but gone (though it still pops up in places), and a bunch of bacterial ones have been wiped out in most developed places (tetanus, diphtheria etc). I don't think this CoV though is gonna be one of them. Too many places for it to hide if we even managed to vaccinate the entire human population of the world, so you're right, my guess is it will circulate with the other ones and be a perennial problem (with a vaccine), but closer to what we have to deal with annually in terms of managing flu (which is still a big problem and causes significant morbidity and mortality). 

The vast majority of these "anti-vaxxers" actually wanted the vaccine, they just didn't want the MMR triple jab. The single vaccine was withdrawn leaving them the choice between MMR or nothing, patients should have a right to choose their preferred treatment, this was taken away from them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/measles-jab-withdrawn-due-to-high-demand-1195247.html

11 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

The vast majority of these "anti-vaxxers" actually wanted the vaccine, they just didn't want the MMR triple jab. The single vaccine was withdrawn leaving them the choice between MMR or nothing, patients should have a right to choose their preferred treatment, this was taken away from them.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/measles-jab-withdrawn-due-to-high-demand-1195247.html

I am stunned that you are defending anti-vaxxers. It's so out of character.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I am stunned that you are defending anti-vaxxers. It's so out of character.

I'm not defending anyone, I'm pointing  out that the decrease in vaccinations due to the fear of MMR could have been avoided by the medical industry continuing to provide the existing single jabs as an alternative, this would have meant no decrease in protection and also provided a control group re: autism which would have proved there was no difference in autism levels.

17 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

That's a pro Corbyn piece. It's criticising Starmer.

He doesn't actually read them.  I felt his wrath last time I asked him to summarise what point was being made by the thing he'd linked to - he called me a twat.  Which is undoubtedly true, but I thought the defensiveness was a little telling...

16 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

I'm not defending anyone, I'm pointing  out that the decrease in vaccinations due to the fear of MMR could have been avoided by the medical industry continuing to provide the existing single jabs as an alternative, this would have meant no decrease in protection and also provided a control group re: autism which would have proved there was no difference in autism levels.

Cool.

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Mumps and rubella are hardly a walk in the park. We’d end up with loads of deaf kids if we ignored it (amongst other things...only in the last few years has the prevalence of some of the long term effects of these diseases been discovered...as it happens because incidence rose due to drops in vaccination rates). There’s no scientific reason to not get the MMR instead of a measles only one (they’re both just as safe as each other). 

28 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

There is a control group though...kids that didn’t get the vaccine. And surprise surprise, rates of autism are no different in kids that didn’t get vaccinated compared to those that did. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It would have saved more lives if Andrew Wakefield was drowned at birth. That c**t fabricated the evidence that caused all the fear.

41 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Perosnally I'm not 100% about having a vaccine that's come around so quick, not because I don't think it's safe for use now - more about what if there are some hidden long term issues associated with it. 

Flu vaccine is new every year. They just replace a bit of the known safe vaccine with what they think will protect against this year's strains. 

That's essentially what the Oxford vaccine does, takes a known safe vaccine and replaces it with a bit that targets covid.

17 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Mumps and rubella are hardly a walk in the park. We’d end up with loads of deaf kids if we ignored it (amongst other things...only in the last few years has the prevalence of some of the long term effects of these diseases been discovered...as it happens because incidence rose due to drops in vaccination rates). There’s no scientific reason to not get the MMR instead of a measles only one (they’re both just as safe as each other). 

My point was that the decline in vaccination rates was exacerbated by the withdrawal of the single jabs, the info on MMR may have been wrong but parents weren't willing to take the risk, they weren't hardcore anti-vaxxers, they were just frightened. The paper linked by Danmarks actually analyses this whole affair from a PR point of view, it's pretty interesting.

http://scholar.google.co.uk/scholar_url?url=https://psandman.com/articles/BurgessLeask.pdf&hl=en&sa=X&ei=dJ6hX9ONNoy0ygSOh6DoDA&scisig=AAGBfm0VYkhuZahcy5VhxCPxAILwKKE_Mg&nossl=1&oi=scholarr