When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I see what you mean but I think a big part of Trumps victory in 2016 was that a total outsider came into the Republican primaries and decimated all of them. All of these career politicians getting murdered by new blood.

To Republican supporters that can’t be undone with one election.

They got murdered by Trump though,  there were was way too big a field so it was hard for anyone to get any coverage except the orange one,  he was also very capable at taking out whichever one of the army of anonymous suits was currently in second. 

If the GOP get hammered today, they will be wary of a repeat and so expect a clear establishment candidate to come out to fight the Trumpist candidate. Who is still more likely to be Mike Pence or Ivanka than Tucker Carlson.

Last year people kept telling me that the Labour party would just elect Corbyn's chosen successor, I said this was wrong. Losing changes the dynamic and you mostly get replaced after you lose.

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

They got murdered by Trump though,  there were was way too big a field so it was hard for anyone to get any coverage except the orange one,  he was also very capable at taking out whichever one of the army of anonymous suits was currently in second. 

If the GOP get hammered today, they will be wary of a repeat and so expect a clear establishment candidate to come out to fight the Trumpist candidate. Who is still more likely to be Mike Pence or Ivanka than Tucker Carlson.

Last year people kept telling me that the Labour party would just elect Corbyn's chosen successor, I said this was wrong. Losing changes the dynamic and you mostly get replaced after you lose.

Plus RLBs campaign was a shambles. For a start she went on holiday when her opponent Keir was already getting out there and laying the groundwork. It wasn’t helped than Ian Lavery also kept saying he was going to run as well. 

Edited by Ozanne

If Trump loses badly then I imagine republican party would rather a more moderate, normal candidate for next time.

The other question is the democrat party. They have a lot of supporters who are more to the left and more progressive than Biden....he somehow has to keep all sides of the party united...same really as labour here.

8 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Plus RLBs campaign was a shambles. For a start she went on holiday when her opponent Keir was already getting out there and laying the groundwork. It wasn’t helped than Ian Lavery also kept saying he was going to run as well. 

Even if it had been a more polished Pidcock campaign that was supposed to be the plan, Corbyn was never going to be replaced by a Corbynite unless he was PM.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

If Trump loses badly then I imagine republican party would rather a more moderate, normal candidate for next time.

The other question is the democrat party. They have a lot of supporters who are more to the left and more progressive than Biden....he somehow has to keep all sides of the party united...same really as labour here.

Is the definition of left over there reducing the cost of hospital stays from a million dollars to half a million...

I'm sure if he messes with healthcare enough americans will protest to make sure they don't get such fairness forced on them

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Even if it had been a more polished Pidcock campaign that was supposed to be the plan, Corbyn was never going to be replaced by a Corbynite unless he was PM.

I thought they great master plan was labour loses as polls suggested, and then Pidcock or Laura-Bailey took over....but they lost worse than expected and that basically killed all their plans.

8 minutes ago, mcshed said:

You are right there. Pidcock losing her seat really messed up a lot of plans! It’s a shame too as she seems like a genuinely nice person that wants good. 

https://www.dw.com/en/belgiums-covid-19-health-care-collapse-it-will-happen-in-10-days/a-55451750

Belgian health system 10 days away from collapse. They’re already having to use covid-positive (but asymptomatic) healthcare workers on the covid wards, since they feel healthy enough to work, and are working with people who already have covid so there’s no risk of spreading it to them. 

Was on a zoom event call with the chief exec of UKHospitality this morning and she was confident that events will be back by 'late spring'. She said there has been work going into this and was very specific about 'late spring' (she didn't just parrot out a standard response).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Homer said:

Was on a zoom event call with the chief exec of UKHospitality this morning and she was confident that events will be back by 'late spring'. She said there has been work going into this and was very specific about 'late spring' (she didn't just parrot out a standard response).

What scale events does this organisation run?

25 minutes ago, Homer said:

I know a few people working at some of the big gig and exhibition venues across London and the last I heard they were working towards early April as a tentative start date. Would require testing and showing a negative test to enter but there’s definitely some glimmer of light 

7 minutes ago, mike46 said:

I know a few people working at some of the big gig and exhibition venues across London and the last I heard they were working towards early April as a tentative start date. Would require testing and showing a negative test to enter but there’s definitely some glimmer of light 

That’s encouraging. Cost will be a key factor. I don’t think many would mind paying an extra £10-£15 for a test to get into a gig, but if it’s the £120 that Boots are charging then it would be prohibitive. You’ll also get a certain brigade yelling about the chances of false negatives, but the idea is to reduce the levels of risk right down to an acceptable level, not to eliminate it altogether. 

A few Gtr Manc tory MPs voting against lockdown, the feckin morons. So, what do we do when hospitals fill up as projected, leave people to rot on the streets? No one likes lockdowns, they are a disaster, but we have ran out of options. As WHO says, lockdowns are a last resort, a blunt instrument, when everything else has failed. We are having a lockdown because of a failure of government policy, simple as that.

• Upvote 1