When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

51 minutes ago, zahidf said:

See once you agree to lockdown, they will insist on keeping it in place, whilst a killer virus is ravaging through the population killing hundreds every day and growing out of control.

Yeah, fascist bastards.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
Edit wasn't showing

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, fascist bastards.

Whitty and Valence in a grinch costume snatching presents from kids.

Stasi grabbing nan and putting her in a van if she tries to visit her newly born grandkids.

Brave freedom fighters muzzled with fascist cloth

They shot themselves in the foot a bit (again!) by putting and end date on it. I know they did it to make people feel better about the whole thing, but seems a bit reckless when it was always a possibility it would be extended. Surely people are just going to be more pissed off when 2nd December rolls around and we are still in lockdown?

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They shot themselves in the foot a bit (again!) by putting and end date on it. I know they did it to make people feel better about the whole thing, but seems a bit reckless when it was always a possibility it would be extended. Surely people are just going to be more pissed off when 2nd December rolls around and we are still in lockdown?

The thought that I could be more pissed off than I currently am worries me!

32 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

If gove is saying the restrictions might last longer ... they will last longer .... I think 2 weeks longer ... that is what one of the scientists on the bbc was saying last night the would need ... that will tie in with people and offices finishing for xmas or close ... the shops will be bedlam for a week ... I’m getting all my xmas presents ordered online today ... when people might recieve them is a different matter though 

It all depends if they choose to follow the science & this time the evidence. No doubt Ian Duncan Smith et al will be pushing for reopening asap but they tried reopening and now we're back to square one. Only difference is education & manufacturing continues. If nothing gives modelling forecasts we're in for a very long winter stretching well into spring.

Regarding Xmas, this has been largely cancelled in the Lycra extended family. No presents help keep people safe. Mrs L will probably be working Xmas Day so makes it easy. Its not much of a day when you have to get up at 5:30am, be on duty from 7am until at least 7:30pm, getting home knackered at wine o'clock. Also resigned not to be seeing family for many months. Saying that, I've only seen my parents twice since it all began:  my sister & her husband not all.

Edited by Lycra

17 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Starmer is doing very well on Marr this morning. Competent and clear. Best performance I’ve seen by him for a while. 

Yeah I think he smashed it. Completely held his own with a very clear message. He is looking very electable!

20 minutes ago, Lycra said:

It all depends if they choose to follow the science & this time the evidence. No doubt Ian Duncan Smith et al will be pushing for reopening asap but they tried reopening and now we're back to square one. Only difference is education & manufacturing continues. If nothing gives modelling forecasts we're in for a very long winter stretching well into spring.

Regarding Xmas, this has been largely cancelled in the Lycra extended family. No presents help keep people safe. Mrs L will probably be working Xmas Day so makes it easy. Its not much of a day when you have to get up at 5:30am, be on duty from 7am until at least 7:30pm, getting home knackered at wine o'clock. Also resigned not to be seeing family for many months. Saying that, I've only seen my parents twice since it all began:  my sister & her husband not all.

I know it's corny, but your wife is a hero.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

It still makes no sense to have this lockdown without closing schools. They're a breeding ground for covid, what measures are in place to stop teachers getting ill? Without that it seems pointless.

And that’s why it should have happened over half term .... unis now need to be from home as a minimum ... get them tested and send them home 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe unpopular on here but I think it's right to keep schools open. Already too much damage to so many kid's education this year.

I seem to remember Whitty suggesting restaraunts and pubs might need to close again to allow schools to reopen, perhaps they're trying to balance out the books for it? 

I do also support the schools staying open, however I think Unis do need to consider more online learning 

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Consider this an anecdote rather than a recommendation, but my kid would be fine if school shut again for another month. I'm sure plenty wouldn't be though.

some would be fine, and some wouldn't...those some that wouldn't would be more than likely already disadvantaged.

They need to keep Schools open for many good reasons. I don’t understand why Unis aren’t Remote Learning but Schools are rightly a priority.

I wonder if they’d consider a Partial relaxation on December 2. They don’t want everyone going on big Christmas Nights out, fair enough. But Retail is going to be absolutely devastated if it has to shut for December as well especially with control over numbers etc. And Retail is not regarded as a big source of spread from what I’ve read. 

Just now, Chapple12345 said:

I seem to remember Whitty suggesting restaraunts and pubs might need to close again to allow schools to reopen, perhaps they're trying to balance out the books for it? 

I do also support the schools staying open, however I think Unis do need to consider more online learning 

Yeah, I think the Uni decision is stupid..they already doing a lot of lectures online...but then I guess if you close them what do students do, go back to their parents? They really messed up the Uni thing.

1 minute ago, MEGABOWL said:

They need to keep Schools open for many good reasons. I don’t understand why Unis aren’t Remote Learning but Schools are rightly a priority.

I wonder if they’d consider a Partial relaxation on December 2. They don’t want everyone going on big Christmas Nights out, fair enough. But Retail is going to be absolutely devastated if it has to shut for December as well especially with control over numbers etc. And Retail is not regarded as a big source of spread from what I’ve read. 

maybe we'll all go back to Tier3 type restrictions...or something like that.

12 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Maybe unpopular on here but I think it's right to keep schools open. Already too much damage to so many kid's education this year.

I agree with you. I think unis could probably do a lot more remote stuff (aren't some already?), but I do think schools are important. Hopefully it won't come to having to shut them. Someone on BBC News while I was waiting for the briefing (teachers' union bod maybe?) was suggesting maybe a rota of one week in, one week out with those at home watching along virtually. I guess that could work if they really can't be kept open, but I'd still say they should be open if they can. Such a missed opportunity to not use the half term at all, even for just one week of the lockdown.