When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

All these polls that don’t tell you have many people participated/ broken down into demographics etc are pretty useless. A ‘newstatesman survey’ is not a valid way to gauge the public opinion - especially as this is affecting every single person in the country in some way or other. 

22 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

The people who deny the holocaust or believe in daft Jewish conspiracy theories or Bill Gates trying to take over the world wouldn't openly ask for evidence outside their various social media echo-chambers.  If they did, they'd be deluged with it.  If you want to deluge me with evidence - I'm waiting.

As for the EHRC.  That's exactly what I'm talking about: I've read the articles and discussions, but I've not actually seen a shred of evidence.  I still haven't despite you guys having had 3 pages to come up with some.  It's not that difficult - just go and do some Googling and come back with something that isn't hearsay etc.  I've already tried.

For anyone wondering where I'm coming from on this issue: I'm opposed to the aggressive right-wing politics of the zealot settler movement and the brutal war-crimes committed by the IDF.  I want the left wing to be able to shout loudly about these things, the same as we shout about the disgusting behaviour of the Saudi state, without being accused of antisemitism.  The fact that these things are now being equated with antisemitism (and the fact that Corbyn folded over this issue rather than taking a lead on it while he was leader) means the far-right have scored a total victory over the left without a fight.

You guys don’t know when to shut up do you? Disgusting. 

• Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I've not actually seen a shred of evidence. 

Myself and others have posted to areas where you can find literal quotes of Labour MPs/ former MPs getting into trouble for saying anti-semetic things. What more are you looking for here? Do you want me to post actual quotes in this thread? Not exactly sure what your issue is, you seem to just be being obtuse for the sake of it. 

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I work at the uni so you hear things etc....this won't be a quick 'there's the vaccine and the world goes back to normal' situation I'm afraid. :(

Yeah. I think the concern is the moment people hear the words ‘vaccine approval’ they’ll think it’s all over - add that to the anti-vaxxers...

25 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

The people who deny the holocaust or believe in daft Jewish conspiracy theories or Bill Gates trying to take over the world wouldn't openly ask for evidence outside their various social media echo-chambers.  If they did, they'd be deluged with it.  If you want to deluge me with evidence - I'm waiting.

As for the EHRC.  That's exactly what I'm talking about: I've read the articles and discussions, but I've not actually seen a shred of evidence.  I still haven't despite you guys having had 3 pages to come up with some.  It's not that difficult - just go and do some Googling and come back with something that isn't hearsay etc.  I've already tried.

For anyone wondering where I'm coming from on this issue: I'm opposed to the aggressive right-wing politics of the zealot settler movement and the brutal war-crimes committed by the IDF.  I want the left wing to be able to shout loudly about these things, the same as we shout about the disgusting behaviour of the Saudi state, without being accused of antisemitism.  The fact that these things are now being equated with antisemitism (and the fact that Corbyn folded over this issue rather than taking a lead on it while he was leader) means the far-right have scored a total victory over the left without a fight.

Can you find a single example where an official complaint has been lodged with the Labour Party about antisemitism where all that has happened is criticism of Israel?

This is part of the problem. Why does the response to antisemitism have to include this caveat that your still allowed to have a go at Israel. Of course you can but constantly linking the 2 issues is antisemitic. Condemn antisemitism one day and condemn the heinous actions of Israel the next but don't always feel the need to tie the two together.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Bristol going into tier 2 or higher ... same Swindon and bath and n e Somerset too within next few days ... bbc points west lunchtime news 

Those who are currently in one of these tiers I have a question:

My wife and I use both sets of our parents for childcare during the week.

Is this allowed in tiers 2 & 3? 

6 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Or will the r rate shoot back up when the south catches up with the north

I think this will be the case. The south is slowly rising in cases which will then spur on the next phase of COVID cases. I would think we’ll see the rise in cases slow slightly but still continue to increase. As seen through the continued rising cases. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Those who are currently in one of these tiers I have a question:

My wife and I use both sets of our parents for childcare during the week.

Is this allowed in tiers 2 & 3? 

Very vague rules as it just says childcare is ‘permitted’, so you’ll be fine I should think. I mean, if you need to continue to use both sets for work reasons etc - they there is little anybody can do to tell you otherwise I guess. 

Edited by st dan

23 hours ago, priest17 said:

Now who knows what they do. Keir'll settle the ship but a lot of people are taking it as a fuck you. I don't have the answer's this is just a bit of a rant. We're gonna have the tories forever. Really can't help but think that if that brexit vote had gone the other way (it didn't I've moved on and all that) it would have been one less battle for labour and that could have helped them, I really try not to waste too much thought on that though.

Had the Brexit vote not happened I think Corbyn could have won. People were crying out for a chance to give the finger to traditional politicians. Many would have jumped on voting for a Corbyn government to do that. Instead they got it out their system by voting for Brexit. 

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Had the Brexit vote not happened I think Corbyn could have won. People were crying out for a chance to give the finger to traditional politicians. Many would have jumped on voting for a Corbyn government to do that. Instead they got it out their system by voting for Brexit. 

The Brexit vote wouldn’t have happened if Corbyn had actually got off the fence and decided to go either one way or the other. He wanted Brexit to happen and then try to rebuild the country from the ashes left by the Tories.

He could have performed his role as the leader of the opposition and actually opposed Camerons EU referendum. He didn’t though. 

Corbyn’s lack of action around the time of the EU Referendum is a substantial contribution to why Brexit is such a mess. 

Some positive news in that it looks like Northern Ireland have got over the hump and infection rates are starting to come down.  Here's hoping that that is a pattern that is repeated in the more densely populated parts of the UK over the coming days and weeks.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think a significant part of the Brexit ref result was exactly that - people giving the finger to Cameron/Osborne and traditional politics and using it as a protest vote against Tory austerity, not actually expecting in reality that they would end up swinging the result in a close run race. All the polls at the time expected a fairly comfortable remain win. Bit of an 'oh shit'; moment for many people when that result happened.

Corbyn was somewhat irrelevant anyway, given that he was in effect a leaver, and had to be muzzled by the party and adopt a fudged compromise opaque position so as not to deter any floaters.

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Some positive news in that it looks like Northern Ireland have got over the hump and infection rates are starting to come down.  Here's hoping that that is a pattern that is repeated in the more densely populated parts of the UK over the coming days and weeks.

We thinking that circuit breakers work then? 

I consider myself to be a hard left Labour supporter who voted Corbyn for leader twice. I voted Starmer earlier this year, purely because I thought he had most chance of winning an election.

Does he share all my core values? No, but do I want us to be in opposition for the rest of my life? Definitely not. Sometimes you have to compromise. If the last election taught us anything, it's that this country won't vote for a hard left government.

If it's a choice between a softer left Labour government or endless years of Tory bastards, I know which side I'm on.

FWIW, I don't believe Corbyn is an anti-semite, but I don't believe he did enough to wipe it out of the party.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Barney McGrew said:

I'm not particularly political so I'll offer my opinion as such... One thing I think a lot of people may have have felt (like me, and no I didn't vote Tory) was that JC was not a Prime Minister, Head of Geography or something like that maybe but PM, no.

If Corbyn had a shred of decency he’d resign as an MP, call a by-election and go live his retirement out in a warm country somewhere with his wife. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I work at the uni so you hear things etc....this won't be a quick 'there's the vaccine and the world goes back to normal' situation I'm afraid. :(

no but it is a visible sign that things will slowly get better .... and hopefully that is the way it should be sold , a slow easing of things is better than no easing of things , or what we have had this summer and now easing and then uncertainty ... I like to know where I am 

8 minutes ago, Barney McGrew said:

I'm not particularly political so I'll offer my opinion as such... One thing I think a lot of people may have have felt (like me, and no I didn't vote Tory) was that JC was not a Prime Minister, Head of Geography or something like that maybe but PM, no.

Boris is much more statesman like! 

Jeez it's depressing.