When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

it's not just the middle east...it's the whole capitalism jewish banker thing too, with a bit of holocaust denial thrown in for fun.

I know steviewevie will side-step the following question with a pithy one-liner, so anyone else feel free to jump in as it's a genuine question:

What actual examples of antisemitism amongst labour activists is this story based on?  The reason I ask is that every time I've read an article about this, there's pages and pages of discussion but never any actual examples.  What have these people actually been saying which is antisemitic?

1 minute ago, mattiloy said:

This is from the week before in case you didn’t realise. Will be interesting to see the immediate changes. But more damaging will be the withdrawal of manpower and membership fees in the longer run

I do realise, I said so in the post above yours. A few of the hard left leaving Labour and voting Greens or whatever doesn't seem a big deal to me. 

Thos numbers also look even better cause 5% greens will never happen IMO and at least half of that will go to Labour in the end.

3 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

That is the most substantial Labour lead I have seen for ages.

Obviously I'm assuming this was done post- free school meals and pre-corbyn suspension

Sorry I didn’t see this post. The public seem to support the suspension of Corbyn, so it might not have much of a negative impact?

1 minute ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

I know steviewevie will side-step the following question with a pithy one-liner, so anyone else feel free to jump in as it's a genuine question:

What actual examples of antisemitism amongst labour activists is this story based on?  The reason I ask is that every time I've read an article about this, there's pages and pages of discussion but never any actual examples.  What have these people actually been saying which is antisemitic?

I guess you could read the report.

1 minute ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

Have a look at Ken Livingston's suspension for an example

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry I didn’t see this post. The public seem to support the suspension of Corbyn, so it might not have much of a negative impact?

I think a few people will shift to Greens (only place I could see them going) but overall I've no idea how it'll play really. I think the vast majority of the public don't care about Corbyn any more and just want to move on from that era.

4 minutes ago, Mark E. Spliff said:

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess you could read the report.

pithy enough for you?

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

One thing that pisses me off about the left is the weird idea that the average voter is really, really concerned about the situation in Israel/'Jewishness' in general. This whole row took place while Brexit was being fought over FFS.

I feel the same.  I have friends who are extremely passionate about the Palestinian situation and I have in the past cringed at some of their output because really it DOES play into the hands of those who seek to criticise activists on the left of anti-Semitism, not because that is their actual view, but because the general tone is so heavily biased against the Israeli state as to make their statements seem like caricatures, exaggeration and hyperbole.  In any debate you lose the argument once you stop being realistic in the statements which you use to back up your views. 

Israel has much to offer the world, producing some great minds in science, industry and computing, agile businesses capable of contributing to making great progress but also has an image problem that comes from the deeply conservative element of their society and governments.  I think that people need to be more dispassionate and start looking at Israel as being just another nation, not some exception to either be vilified or defended with no middle ground between.

Edited by Spindles
grammar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

It's perfectly possible for the public to support the suspension of Corbyn and still be turned off from Labour by the whole affair.

6 minutes ago, mcshed said:

It's perfectly possible for the public to support the suspension of Corbyn and still be turned off from Labour by the whole affair.

Good point. I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks, I don’t think it’ll have as much impact as some might think but that’s just my view.

I have a feeling in a few days this won’t be headline news as the virus takes over again. 

12 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

That's not an example - it's another article, albeit on Wikipedia.  As I said, I've read lots of articles but I have yet to see any examples of antisemitic statements by Labour activists.  All I'm asking is for someone to provide me with some.

The ratio of outrage to evidence isn't looking good here.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Good point. I guess we’ll see in the coming weeks, I don’t think it’ll have as much impact as some might think but that’s just my view.

Looks like most of the left wing MPs are keeping quiet about this for now, after all labour are doing ok in the polls, and maybe this report does draw a line under all this.......but further down the line I'm sure these divisions will show themselve again.