When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

- Work from home if you can

- If you cannot work from home, you SHOULD go to work unless your workplace is forced to close

- All hospitality, leisure and gyms closed. Overnight stays banned.

- Non-essential retail can stay open but all retail must return to 2m social distancing with one way systems and queueing systems. These have been dropped in favour of masks but I personally would prefer it if these measures were used as well as masks.

- Public transport only to be used if absolutely necessary

- No mixing of households indoors (apart from childcare or support bubbles)

- Households can mix in outdoor public places in groups of no more than 6.

- People can take unlimited amounts of outdoor exercise and can drive to anywhere in England to do so.

what's difference between that and March lockdown (I can't remember)?

5 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Trying to bring a little positivity here - that is dated w/e 24th October and Tier 3 was only in force from the 23rd October - I think with the lag from incubation/positive test results it’s about 2 weeks before results will show?

You're right. I should have made it clearer that I didn't expect them to have made an impact yet.  I think in Bolton, it was more like three weeks before the pub closure started to kick in (then they reopened them!)

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

This is where I get so confused, there are hundred of reports telling us cases are rising e.g. today's 100,000 infections report, but then you get reports like this saying cases are falling. Add to this last weeks report of the R rate falling and now today they say it could be double. It just doesn't make sense and makes me feel rather disillusioned about the situation 

I’m feeling the same and adding to the ‘mix’ there have been conflicting reports in the last week about the longevity of antibodies

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Interesting.  UK lockdown was more stringent than other countries

This raises some interesting questions about the levels of compliance and enforcement. Measures won't work if people don't follow them.

As bad as the government have been the public have their part to play in this as well. 

10 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You're right. I should have made it clearer that I didn't expect them to have made an impact yet.  I think in Bolton, it was more like three weeks before the pub closure started to kick in (then they reopened them!)

But goes to show tier 2 is this half way house that doesn’t do much at all?

2 minutes ago, Chef said:

This raises some interesting questions about the levels of compliance and enforcement. Measures won't work if people don't follow them.

As bad as the government have been the public have their part to play in this as well

This is clearly true, but is not the full story. The government are obviously trying to shift the blame onto the public as much as possible. In the first March lockdown compliance level was very high, this was destroyed by the Dom Cummings fiasco which changed all the rules. The public no longer trust the government with their clear "them and us" attitude.

1 hour ago, Lycra said:

That's the great hope of all governments. History shows however mass vaccination programmes take time to roll out, miss people and do not provide immunity for all recipients. Thus the number of new covid infections may not decline as quickly as many hope.

Exactly - this is why there needs to be a proper government ‘grown up’ explanation of this prior to the vaccination process

Oh wait ....

5 minutes ago, onthebeach said:

Exactly - this is why there needs to be a proper government ‘grown up’ explanation of this prior to the vaccination process

Oh wait ....

I don’t trust the government not to make a total c**t of the vaccine rollout (No doubt Dido Harding and/or serco will get a juicy contract). I’ll be paying for a private jab as soon as I can. 

14 minutes ago, alanr said:

This is clearly true, but is not the full story. The government are obviously trying to shift the blame onto the public as much as possible. In the first March lockdown compliance level was very high, this was destroyed by the Dom Cummings fiasco which changed all the rules. The public no longer trust the government with their clear "them and us" attitude.

I continue to maintain that this is stupid, short sighted and perhaps even working the other way round in deflecting those traits back at the government

People aren't doing the government a favour here by stopping the virus spreading- its them who won't get treated for survivable illnesses. But the problem is it probably isn't- it'll more likely be the people who have followed the rules and used their own logic around transmission (not just doing stuff because they're "allowed", taking air transmission seriously etc).

I'd honestly prefer people just admit they dont care (as many dont) or admit they dont think is real or overblown (many think this especially in the north). 

This Cummings argument shouldn't matter - people who take it seriously should take it seriously REGARDLESS of what the government does.

(Not having a go at you specifically here - just have strong opinions on the Cummings situation) 

Edited by efcfanwirral

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I don’t trust the government not to make a total c**t of the vaccine rollout (No doubt Dido Harding and/or serco will get a juicy contract). I’ll be paying for a private jab as soon as I can. 

Judging by the past few months, I’d agree with you but wasn’t someone on here saying a mass rollout is something they could be competent at as we do it already with the flu jab etc?

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Something we definitely agree on.  It's not going to be the most exciting Christmas present, but it's what my parents are bloody getting :lol:

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Judging by the past few months, I’d agree with you but wasn’t someone on here saying a mass rollout is something they could be competent at as we do it already with the flu jab etc?

"Could" is the key word.

Just now, Ryan1984 said:

Yeah Saturday evening I think it was.

2 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I continue to maintain that this is stupid, short sighted and perhaps even working the other way round in deflecting those traits back at the government

People aren't doing the government a favour here by stopping the virus spreading- its them who won't get treated for survivable illnesses. But the problem is it probably isn't- it'll more likely be the people who have followed the rules and used their own logic around transmission (not just doing stuff because they're "allowed", taking air transmission seriously etc).

I'd honestly prefer people just admit they dont care (as many dont) or admit they dont think is real or overblown (many think this especially in the north). 

This Cummings argument shouldn't matter - people who take it seriously should take it seriously REGARDLESS of what the government does.

(Not having a go at you specifically here - just have strong opinions on the Cummings situation) 

I kind of agree, whilst I understand the DC saga playing a part people still have a duty to play their part too. 

16 minutes ago, Chef said:

Some interesting analysis on the React study. Might be some things in there @Toilet Duck is better placed to comment on. 

This is why we shouldn't get all excited about projections and models... they usually make too many assumptions. We then get sensational headlines and everyone goes nuts.

I heard another statistician said that if they applied the same effort to other endemic diseases they would get similar startling results.

I'd prefer to wait for the real figures.

25 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

But goes to show tier 2 is this half way house that doesn’t do much at all?

Dunno, the NW has been in tier 2 for so long, I'm not sure there's many conclusions to draw from our data, since the general prevalence of the virus is so much higher now than when we went in, plus the schools are open now.  

You'll want to look at the London data in a couple of weeks to see if tier 2 does anything.  I agree, it's pretty clear tier 2 isn't enough - but that's not the same as saying it doesn't do anything. 

Got a feeling this awful weather/shorter days is really going to wear me (and a lot of others) down in the coming weeks/months. WFH and barely leaving the house will take its toll. 
Unfortunately I think the worst of the mental health aspect of all of this is just about to start bubbling.  

Edited by st dan