When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If we can’t be “trusted” then maybe it’s something that we as a society don’t want? Idk, I feel a lot of people will say they want a lockdown on an opinion poll but then still break it to visit loved ones. 

But that's where the role of government comes in, or should.  As much as there seems to be trend of thinking that we elect politicians to do exactly what we want them to do, what we actually do is elect them on a trust that they'll do what's best for us.  At times their role is as much parents to toddlers as it is elected politicians.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

But that's where the role of government comes in, or should.  As much as there seems to be trend of thinking that we elect politicians to do exactly what we want them to do, what we actually do is elect them on a trust that they'll do what's best for us.  At times their role is as much parents to toddlers as it is elected politicians.

They're constantly focus grouping everything. Must remain popular.

25 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

People can - and are - travelling from Tier 3 for domestic tourism.  In smaller numbers than they were, perhaps, but it's still going on.  There's nothing stopping them beyond some unenforceable guidelines suggesting they shouldn't.

It goes against just about everything I feel is right to ask for stronger regulations, but when we rely on Great British Common Sense (TM) the Freedom Loving Brits will act as they wish.

Sorry, I didn’t mean that people shouldn’t be travelling but are. I meant it’s interesting that Germans are doing, as it does seem if an area is showing higher infections then you wouldn’t want them travelling to other parts of the country. Maybe those type of restrictions would come with a tier 4?

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

This was forgotten with Brexit. 

23 minutes ago, the_arsonist said:

Just had a look at that BBC map that shows infections by area. How are so many Southern places avoiding Tier 2? Loads of areas are well over 100 cases per 100k, I thought that was the threshold for restrictions?

They take into account other things...like whether have a tory MP or tory council....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Nah, they've given up trying to be popular. Majority means they don't need to worry about that for a while now. It's about keeping the donors and big backers happy at the moment.

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

This week's gone well.  That Cummings, eh?  He knows what the people want.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean that people shouldn’t be travelling but are. I meant it’s interesting that Germans are doing, as it does seem if an area is showing higher infections then you wouldn’t want them travelling to other parts of the country. Maybe those type of restrictions would come with a tier 4?

Oh I agree, yeah.  This halfway house we're all in at the moment is serving nobody.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

as long as gets R below 1, then yes...I guess so.

Needs to be 70% effective to get R below 1. We are hearing positive whispers from @Toilet Duck that it could be that effective. However even if it’s slightly short of this, you’d hope we’d get close enough to 1 that T&T and some minor restrictions would be all that’s needed rather than draconian lockdowns. 

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

as long as gets R below 1, then yes...I guess so.

It's not just about the R value, the number infected has to be considered too. For example, if 100,000 infected & R=0.9 in week 1, then (assuming a 2 week recovery period) by week 3 the number of infections = 90,000. Still a large number.

3 minutes ago, Lycra said:

It's not just about the R value, the number infected has to be considered too. For example, if 100,000 infected & R=0.9 in week 1, then (assuming a 2 week recovery period) by week 3 the number of infections = 90,000. Still a large number.

yeah...true....so I guess would need to have R below 1 for a period of time so numbers infected were below some threshold before lifting any restrictions. Could take a while....

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yeah...true....so I guess would need to have R below 1 for a period of time so numbers infected were below some threshold before lifting any restrictions. Could take a while....

Nah, itd be a case where if the vulnerable and NHS are vaccinated, the R rate isnt as important

Do you know the R rate of winter flu?

Must admit listening to news reports today I felt a bit deflated, a lockdown is possible before Xmas. Sadly the police up here have broken up over 3000 large house gatherings since the end of August. That might explain the rise in cases in areas such as Glasgow and Lanarkshire. Also Reports of attacks on police. I only hope that behind the scenes the vaccine development is nearing completion.  

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Must admit listening to news reports today I felt a bit deflated, a lockdown is possible before Xmas. Sadly the police up here have broken up over 3000 large house gatherings since the end of August. That might explain the rise in cases in areas such as Glasgow and Lanarkshire. Also Reports of attacks on police. I only hope that behind the scenes the vaccine development is nearing completion.  

Attacks on the police is so sad, they are just doing their jobs as best they can. Some people can be so out of order.

In good news mate vaccine news is sounding promising. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yes correct. R needs to be significantly below 1 for quick progress on new infection numbers is made.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Attacks on the police is so sad, they are just doing their jobs as best they can. Some people can be so out of order.

Let’s hope the vaccines are on course, 99%  of the time I’m an optimistic, glass half full type of person , enjoying and celebrating life but for some reason this morning I wasn’t so good ,  back to normal now, about to pick up a one and a half  year old grandson , fun afternoon ahead! 👍😁

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Let’s hope the vaccines are on course, 99%  of the time I’m an optimistic, glass half full type of person , enjoying and celebrating life but for some reason this morning I wasn’t so good ,  back to normal now, about to pick up a one and a half  year old grandson , fun afternoon ahead! 👍😁

It happens to everyone mate, enjoy your afternoon your Grandson!

2 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Yesterday it was all sunshine and rainbows with vaccine related news, today it's doom and gloom.

Fair to say we're somewhere in the middle of the two and let's not forget the media will do all they can to get clicks or sell papers so best to take everything with a pinch of salt...

I’m very wary of almost anything on the Mainstream news. Throughout this whole Pandemic their coverage has been hysterical. Constantly frothing over bad news and ignoring anything good. Unfortunately the news sources I usually lean towards-Sky and the Guardian-have been the worst.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I'm not justifying it in any way, but there are loads of examples of the police acting badly and disproportionately during this crisis so it's not really a surprise that people are reacting like this.