When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’ll be a slog, but if we know the vaccine has been approved then we are safe in the knowledge that it’s the last winter of this shit 💪🏻

Yeah, hopefully....but the other major worry as this virus continues it's thing is the damage to the economy and what that will mean for people's lives over the next few years.

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah, hopefully....but the other major worry as this virus continues it's thing is the damage to the economy and what that will mean for people's lives over the next few years.

Don’t forget the dumpster fire that is Brexit.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Don’t forget the dumpster fire that is Brexit.

yeah...and that. If get a deal then probably will mean a bit less chaotic in January as I'm sure they will have an implementation period to smooth over any disruption, but will maybe hurt the economy longer term (or maybe it will be great as some seem to think). If no deal then who knows....

What’s the definition for Testing capacity in the UK statistics?

It’s great if it is actually improving but it’s only of limited use if it only relates to the swab and not the actual disclosure of results and the ability to quickly isolate positive cases and track and test their contacts. 

The other thing for me is what I think @FestivalJamiemay have been aiming at. Capacity is one thing, but it’s not as necessarily as important as actual tests done and the positivity rate. If you have lower tests carried out with a high positivity rate then you probably aren’t catching enough of all the positive cases in the community, which is super important due to the ability to spread asymptomatically. It also means you also can’t be certain that cases are genuinely plateauing at 22k and that any restrictions are working. (especially if deaths keep going up). If you have genuine testing capacity, then it needs to be used for proactive testing of at risk cohorts like non clinical (assuming they already are) essential workers or people moving between communities.

To try and jump on the positivity bandwagon though, it’s at least a good step, and capacity to test is important. It’s all the following steps that need to keep improving as well so hopefully it’s not being done for  press release like the 200k target.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

Hopefully this is just a scare tactic to try to get more people to follow the guidelines so we don’t have to have these measures in place which would be awful. 

They just said in the news report on the radio that the leaders of the devolved nations have written to Spaffer to ask for a consistent approach over the festive season.

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

They just said in the news report on the radio that the leaders of the devolved nations have written to Spaffer to ask for a consistent approach over the festive season.

Which means we’ll get the complete opposite 😂
Jokes aside a consistent message is definitely needed. I have a feeling Johnson will just tell the devolved nations what to do with no effort to work together. 

Is anyone surprised about this though? I feel like the Christmas situation is inevitable. Things aren’t going to be any different in eight weeks time. 

The problem will be that there is likely to be very little COVID compliance - I can see a lot of people saying sod the rules.

Yesterday it was all sunshine and rainbows with vaccine related news, today it's doom and gloom.

Fair to say we're somewhere in the middle of the two and let's not forget the media will do all they can to get clicks or sell papers so best to take everything with a pinch of salt...

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Is anyone surprised about this though? I feel like the Christmas situation is inevitable. Things aren’t going to be any different in eight weeks time. 

The problem will be that there is likely to be very little COVID compliance - I can see a lot of people saying sod the rules.

Me too sadly. We need strong leadership now from Johnson but given it’s Johnson we just won’t get that. 

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

Domestic tourism being banned is interesting. I often find it weird that you can have an area in tier 2 but people from that area can travel to holiday in a tier 1 area, I’m sure there’s a decent reason but it seems a bit counter productive.