When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Most of the accomodation is run by private providers, not universities themselves. 

The MPs probably have shares in the private providers.

It tends to be your Russel group universities that run it themselves, they're only about 10% of the sector though.

I think the decision was to help students' education and help the economy around Unis...and it was probably a hope for the best thing that ended up being a mistake.

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

I think the decision was to help students' education and help the economy around Unis...and it was probably a hope for the best thing that ended up being a mistake.

One positive is that every university now has their own test and trace system that's better than the governments.

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Do we think there might be some kind of situation after the initial rollout where you can pay to get the vaccine if not in a priority group? Is that how the flu vaccine works?

I'd be happy to pay quite a bit for it, just as I have in the past with various travel vaccines. Rabies costs an arm and a leg for example.

Maybe they'll offer it free if you sign up for a Smart Meter?

58 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

There's been no data on testing since 22nd. 

France style 50k increase incoming?

Not altogether sure if this is the reason but I'm supposed to be starting some sort of Covid 19 testing research job to keep me busy. Rang up a week ago to see what was happening as my other jobs had all been cancelled due to foreign travel bans. The answer I got was that there was a delay, as the 100 testers already on the road were twiddling their thumbs as they had run out of test kits.

There are supposed to be about 100  mobile testers in my region alone carrying out a decent number of tests per day. Say 10-15 per day. That's 1250+ tests per day not being carried out, just for my region. This number is supposed to be about 200 mobile testers when at full strength  but we have simply been told to wait until sufficient tests kits become available before we start getting activated. This apparently some kind of research project where people have volunteered to be tested at regular intervals.

Could explain any shortfalls as if you add them all up, that's a lot of testing not happening nationally.

Edited by Copperface

35 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I am hoping we have some evidence of daily hospitalisations starting to level off. The other two indicators of “patients in hospital” and “patients on ventilators” are lagging indicators, but hospitalisations should be pretty up to date. Fingers crossed that it’s not white noise.

Sadly it doesn't look like it.  Hospital numbers have increased fourfold this month from just under 2000 a month ago to over 9000 today.  Seeing as cases are still rising we can expect these numbers to continue to climb for some weeks.

en2Mahj.jpg

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Sadly it doesn't look like it.  Hospital numbers have increased fourfold this month from just under 2000 a month ago to over 9000 today.  Seeing as cases are still rising we can expect these numbers to continue to climb for some weeks.

en2Mahj.jpg

Hospital admissions are also a couple of weeks behind cases so that large rise in cases we saw a few weeks back this is sadly the next stage. The north regions are close to their peak levels from the first wave of not at it already in some areas.

Yeah, the figures shown cover the period from when numbers started shooting up, so this is the natural growth that already existed in the lower numbers, we haven't seen a similar spike at the 2-3 week point we passed a week ago, so it seems logical to assume that a similar rate of growth would be likely next month, or somewhere in the region of 30-50k hospital cases.  A month ago I was expressing concern at seeing numbers in hospital go from the mid 300s to a couple of thousand in a month.  It is hard to understand why action hasn't been taken, the basic maths of this suggest that the health service is going to be overrun by xmas.