When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 hours ago, tigger123 said:

Do you think we should be concerned that not enough people will voluntarily take the vaccine? Reading comments on articles and on Twitter, the majority opinion seems to be 'I wouldn't take the vaccine given it hasn't been tested nearly enough'.

If that happens they'll just make it mandatory for getting on a plane and people will start complying. They'd rather not take it, I can understand that, but the minute it stands between them and a holiday most will fold. 

4 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I wasn’t even meaning him specifically. He has a kid so it’s very different. But if you look on reddit there’s a lot of lone weirdos that absolutely love lockdown. 

Loads of us have indoor hobbies. We've just done more of those this year and less of the other stuff. Lockdown has been sort of enjoyable as it's been different, it's actually given more time to focus on some of those hobbies, and do bigger projects than we normally would because there's no competition from other things, and no social pressure to go out. It's obviously not how we would normally choose to live, but we make the best of it, and enjoy the benefits of it rather than just complaining.

There's more to life than staying inside painting or playing an instrument but there's more to life than going to the pub and gigs too.

Looking like Oxford/AZ might just beat Pfizer/BioNTech to it after all. Adrian Hill (Oxford Prof in charge of trials) has now said the unblinding of Phase III data is imminent.

Internal NHS emails have told staff to prepare for a full vaccination programme from early December onwards - starting with key workers and at-risk, then rolled out to the rest of us in Qs 1+2 next year.

9 minutes ago, Mellotr0n said:

Looking like Oxford/AZ might just beat Pfizer/BioNTech to it after all. Adrian Hill (Oxford Prof in charge of trials) has now said the unblinding of Phase III data is imminent.

Internal NHS emails have told staff to prepare for a full vaccination programme from early December onwards - starting with key workers and at-risk, then rolled out to the rest of us in Qs 1+2 next year.

Where have you seen this ? Wasn’t it just the vulnerable and health workers getting it though ? 

On the subject of Christmas. 

I love Christmas as much as the next, but the government messaging should be just to prepare for a smaller more intimate christmas. 

People from support bubbles should be allow regardless, but if deaths are up to 500 - 1000 a day by then, we should not be encouraging people to mix for christmas. 

Like people have mentioned, it's not just one day for most people. It's multiple events, seeing different relatives over the course of a few weeks. People travel from other places in the country to see each other, including UNI students that will be in virus hotspots. It is going to be a nightmare. 

I also hate how we are considering having a "day off" from a pandemic to let christmas happen normally, but yet there's millions and millions of people in this country who don't celebrate christmas, who have and will have to deal with their occasions cancelled, eid, hannukah etc. Or like people have pointed out, to some people other events are more important than christmas, so they wouldn't choose it as the magical day where we pretend the virus isn't real. 

In short I get that seeing family is important, especially for older relatives, but we should at least keep it to a minimum and people can through huge family parties when the pandemic is less prevalent. 

Even if we were june/july levels of low transmission it would be maybe be okay to talk about a christmas day off. I don't get it most of the country (england at least) aren't even dealing with harsh restrictions right now. People are still getting to go to the pub, eat out, see friends, even in the strictest areas you can see friends outside. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

If that happens they'll just make it mandatory for getting on a plane and people will start complying. They'd rather not take it, I can understand that, but the minute it stands between them and a holiday most will fold.

They wont because the vaccine won't have a 100% efficiency and also a vaccine doesn't stop you carrying, or passing on, a virus. We're more likely to see some sort of testing either pre-flight or on arrival, through most of next year.

32 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Loads of us have indoor hobbies. We've just done more of those this year and less of the other stuff. Lockdown has been sort of enjoyable as it's been different, it's actually given more time to focus on some of those hobbies, and do bigger projects than we normally would because there's no competition from other things, and no social pressure to go out. It's obviously not how we would normally choose to live, but we make the best of it, and enjoy the benefits of it rather than just complaining.

There's more to life than staying inside painting or playing an instrument but there's more to life than going to the pub and gigs too.

But hasn’t it been said that the young probably won’t ever be vaccinated? Can’t see how making it a requirement for plane travel would work if they’re not giving it to every person in the country. 

1 minute ago, tigger123 said:

But hasn’t it been said that the young probably won’t ever be vaccinated? Can’t see how making it a requirement for plane travel would work if they’re not giving it to every person in the country. 

They probably eventually let you get people have it. Or drop it as a requirement for travel

21 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Like people have mentioned, it's not just one day for most people. It's multiple events, seeing different relatives over the course of a few weeks. People travel from other places in the country to see each other, including UNI students that will be in virus hotspots. It is going to be a nightmare. 

That's why letting people have the day, while keeping travelling over the week to a minimum, might actually be seen as a compromise and then people will follow the rules. If there's no compromise people will just ignore it all and it'll be even worse.

19 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

They wont because the vaccine won't have a 100% efficiency and also a vaccine doesn't stop you carrying, or passing on, a virus. We're more likely to see some sort of testing either pre-flight or on arrival, through most of next year.

Depends on the vaccine, but I'm not saying there will be any good science behind it. Just that if they can't get enough people to voluntarily take it the government will start locking nice things behind it to encourage them to.

30 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

On the subject of Christmas. 

I love Christmas as much as the next, but the government messaging should be just to prepare for a smaller more intimate christmas. 

People from support bubbles should be allow regardless, but if deaths are up to 500 - 1000 a day by then, we should not be encouraging people to mix for christmas. 

I also hate how we are considering having a "day off" from a pandemic to let christmas happen normally, but yet there's millions and millions of people in this country who don't celebrate christmas, who have and will have to deal with their occasions cancelled, eid, hannukah etc. Or like people have pointed out, to some people other events are more important than christmas, so they wouldn't choose it as the magical day where we pretend the virus isn't real. 

In short I get that seeing family is important, especially for older relatives, but we should at least keep it to a minimum and people can through huge family parties when the pandemic is less prevalent. 

Even if we were june/july levels of low transmission it would be maybe be okay to talk about a christmas day off. I don't get it most of the country (england at least) aren't even dealing with harsh restrictions right now. People are still getting to go to the pub, eat out, see friends, even in the strictest areas you can see friends outside. 

all those grandparents getting coronavirus for christmas off their grandkids.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I have to say im feeling a lot more positive the last couple of days , around the virus and Glastonbury too .... we have some tough weeks ahead but there is reason to be hopeful .... 

The 100% club has been open since the start of this, become one of us. 

• Upvote 1

cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 16 Oct-22 Oct. "The average area in England had 135."

A lot of my local areas around me, Cambridge Peterborough are now above the 100 per 100,000 cases threshold for Tier 1. In fact the average place in the UK is now in Tier 2 Level.

Yet I've heard nothing about any of my areas going into Tier 2 restrictions. - I thought the whole point of Tiers was so that there was a defined point at which restrictions are needed, yet the goalposts keep moving as the case go up nationwide.

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

cases per 100,000 people in the latest week 16 Oct-22 Oct. "The average area in England had 135."

A lot of my local areas around me, Cambridge Peterborough are now above the 100 per 100,000 cases threshold for Tier 1. In fact the average place in the UK is now in Tier 2 Level.

Yet I've heard nothing about any of my areas going into Tier 2 restrictions. - I thought the whole point of Tiers was so that there was a defined point at which restrictions are needed, yet the goalposts keep moving as the case go up nationwide.

It’s not just tied entirely to case numbers. Factors like hospitalisation and case numbers in higher age groups are taken into account. Just enjoy being tier 1 while you can and understand that they’ll put you in tier 2 when they feel it’s necessary. Coventry, S.O.T and Slough were unceremoniously dumped into tier 2 last week so the government is certainly monitoring things. 

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

I think  there a few other things that feed into it like hospital capacity ..... but it does feel like the goalposts move so they can avoid a nationwide firebreak.... because they have said they dont want that ...

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think  there a few other things that feed into it like hospital capacity ..... but it does feel like the goalposts move so they can avoid a nationwide firebreak.... because they have said they dont want that ...

Yeah I understand there are other factors in play here. But it just seems like places are in denial at the moment. - Our cases are going up week to week, so doing nothing is not gonna stop it.

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Vaccine approval is just weeks away, keep the faith 💪🏻💪🏻

Time to drag out the resale spreadsheet again ..... that might be the next mission .... although id be so happy on everyone else's behalf that a festival might take place ... me being there might be the cherry on the top of the 3 tiered cake 

32 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I have to say im feeling a lot more positive the last couple of days , around the virus and Glastonbury too .... we have some tough weeks ahead but there is reason to be hopeful .... 

28 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

The 100% club has been open since the start of this, become one of us. 

With or without a ticket!!! June or September! It is going to happen!! 
100% hope shines brightest in the dark!! 

Edited by funkychick2007
Date mistake

Good to see some positivity coming through on this thread today not just from me ..... like I said lets hope the vaccine makes some kind of difference very soon and we limit the damage of this virus to life  , livelihoods and mental health above everything else .... Might be time for another  poll once the vaccine arrives and we start to learn how effective it might be and more definite timescales for rollout .... Gigs around march time I think will happen with testing and followed by festivals in June when we are near the point of vaccination rollout completion ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 13

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Good to see some positivity coming through on this thread today not just from me ..... like I said lets hope the vaccine makes some kind of difference very soon and we limit the damage of this virus to life  , livelihoods and mental health above everything else .... Might be time for another  poll once the vaccine arrives and we start to learn how effective it might be and more definite timescales for rollout .... Gigs around march time I think will happen with testing and followed by festivals in June when we are near the point of vaccination rollout completion ...

Out of upvotes but you'd be getting one if I wasn't :)

I hope although there are some differing / conflicting views on the covid situation that we can all share a beer / cider together come June 2021 or whenever the next festival may be.