When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m going to go to bed early and set an alarm for something like 3am then camp on the sofa to watch it all unfold. You should do it that and we can watch at the same time!

I would but I don't think I could manage to get to bed that early... Will see how I go. I've tried to keep the day after as free as possible to give myself a bit of leeway! 

58 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm planning to stay up as long as I can but doubt very much I will make the whole night! 

I’m on a Night Shift so will be up from 3 until 8 anyway.

Not sure we’ll get a result though.

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

For saying that a vaccine might not be available this year?

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

of course, but they won't be going to jail.

More for the actions in March at the start. They were very clearly advising a herd immunity strategy and we didn’t pivot to population-wide social distancing until 16th March, significantly after most European countries. It will be very easy for Johnson and Cummings to pin the blame on the advisers and walk off scot free. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

More for the actions in March at the start. They were very clearly advising a herd immunity strategy and we didn’t pivot to population-wide social distancing until 16th March, significantly after most European countries. It will be very easy for Johnson and Cummings to pin the blame on the advisers and walk off scot free. 

I don't doubt that Johnson will pin the blame on Handcock & co.

But you said they'd go to jail. Which is fruitcake land.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

We didn't pivot until that evil Neil Fergusson told us too.

Anyway, they are advisers...they don't make the final decisions. I'm sure there will plenty of blame being thrown around...I mean you could chuck some at Johnson for not bothering to go to cobra meetings or boasting about shaking hands with everyone at a hospital or that's we'd soon send the virus packing in 12 weeks or whatever it was or for not sacking Cummings for breaking govt guidelines and undermining public trust from then on etc,.

@Toilet Duck Sorry for what might be a stupid question... But it just occurred to me this morning and I don't know anyone else that would even begin to be able to give any sort of informed answer.

If viral load is important in determining severity and I have Covid and I'm wearing a mask am I not increasing my viral load by constantly breathing it back in? 

Granted if your positive and you know that you shouldn't be going anywhere where you need to wear a mask. 

Just a random thought I had while having a stroll before work. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We didn't pivot until that evil Neil Fergusson told us too.

Anyway, they are advisers...they don't make the final decisions. I'm sure there will plenty of blame being thrown around...I mean you could chuck some at Johnson for not bothering to go to cobra meetings or boasting about shaking hands with everyone at a hospital or that's we'd soon send the virus packing in 12 weeks or whatever it was or for not sacking Cummings for breaking govt guidelines and undermining public trust from then on etc,.

Which brings up an interesting point. Ferguson’s model advised suppression through the means of “social distancing of the entire population”, which was implemented on the 16th of March. Hospitality and school closures came later that week, but the full lockdown wasn’t until the 23rd. The full lockdown was basically implemented because the Mother’s Day weekend proved that we as a population could not be trusted to perform social distancing voluntarily. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Which brings up an interesting point. Ferguson’s model advised suppression through the means of “social distancing of the entire population”, which was implemented on the 16th of March. Hospitality and school closures came later that week, but the full lockdown wasn’t until the 23rd. The full lockdown was basically implemented because the Mother’s Day weekend proved that we as a population could not be trusted to perform social distancing voluntarily. 

the full lockdown was inevitable as soon as hospitalisations started to skyrocket. 

And it would have happened sooner, but Spaffer and Carrie had an important social event on the 21st March. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the full lockdown was inevitable as soon as hospitalisations started to skyrocket. 

And it would have happened sooner, but Spaffer and Carrie had an important social event on the 21st March. 

Wasn’t Spaffer playing with a Russian violinist by that point anyway? 

Just now, zahidf said:

Main problems with Xmas

IMO, students should go home at Christmas and not return in January. The second half of the academic year should be moved entirely online except for medicine/vetinary/dentistry etc which are both essential for our future pipeline of healthcare workers and require a practical element.

To facilitate this, we should mass test students before they go home. Ideally the testing should be done around 8th December to allow a quarantine period for those who test positive and then still return before Christmas. Those who test negative can go home straight away.

If we can’t muster the testing capacity to do this exercise then maybe all students should isolate for two weeks and then go home. There should be no migration back to campus in January though.