When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wtf is a “semblance” of normality? 

Thats in the amerrican sense.

The medical people want social distancing and masks to continue after a vaccine is found to work and distributed. I'm convinced their isn't the political will for that 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Thats in the amerrican sense.

The medical people want social distancing and masks to continue after a vaccine is found to work and distributed. I'm convinced their isn't the political will for that 

“Social distancing and masks” isn’t a homogeneous concept. I don’t like masks, but I’d be happy to wear them for longer (or even permanently) if it meant the hideousness of social distancing can be confined to the bin where it belongs. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

@Toilet Duck - does the flu jab prevent someone from spreading the flu on? I never normally bother getting it, but for this year if it may prevent me spreading flu on to some poor sod who’d have flu and covid at the same time then I’d happily get it 

Partly, but not completely. However, if more people get it, it benefits everyone. I get it every year for the exactly this reason. 

14 hours ago, Matt42 said:

This sort of stuff is just fuelling the fire of anti-lockdown support. No one supports this. Does anyone actually agree with this?

Yes. To get the mindset right you have to approach it from the idea that this is a “full” lockdown. Therefore we shouldn’t be leaving our homes other than for outdoor exercise. So in circumstances like that, you ideally close everything. The problem is there are a few things like food that people need, and we don’t have the infrastructure to deliver to everyone. So you admit that you need to let food shops open. But you then do everything you can to make them as safe as possible - that includes one way systems and distancing and masks, but also includes minimising the time people spend in them. Hence why you also close non-food areas.

If we had a competent government they’d invest resources in scaling up home delivery and food parcels for anyone that wanted them so you could actually shut supermarkets too.

14 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

But these things are also sold online. Is it right to put a delivery worker at risk to specifically deliver your book/whatever rather than you buy it at the same time as your food shopping. 

Distancing in Amazon warehouses seems better than in most supermarkets from what I’ve seen and heard.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Distancing in Amazon warehouses seems better than in most supermarkets from what I’ve seen and heard.

Have there not been something like 20,000 cases in Amazon warehouses? Don’t think I’ve come across numbers like that in supermarkets. Amazon have done pretty well in this crisis, not entirely convinced they have treated their staff too well during it though! 

11 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Frustration is rising as clampdowns spread across UK: are we in grip of Covid fatigue?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/25/frustration-is-rising-as-clampdowns-spread-across-uk-are-we-in-grip-of-covid-fatigue

Belgium becoming one of the few places to have had a bad first wave and a bad second wave, although that could be us too at this rate 

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yes. To get the mindset right you have to approach it from the idea that this is a “full” lockdown. Therefore we shouldn’t be leaving our homes other than for outdoor exercise. So in circumstances like that, you ideally close everything. The problem is there are a few things like food that people need, and we don’t have the infrastructure to deliver to everyone. So you admit that you need to let food shops open. But you then do everything you can to make them as safe as possible - that includes one way systems and distancing and masks, but also includes minimising the time people spend in them. Hence why you also close non-food areas.

If we had a competent government they’d invest resources in scaling up home delivery and food parcels for anyone that wanted them so you could actually shut supermarkets too.

is there a single place in the world that did this? I’m sure not even Wuhan had a lockdown as strict as that 

28 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Nope. Amazon have covered up multiple outbreaks 

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

We can have a tier 10 but if schools stay open that R rate won't be coming down to where they want it, and we all seem to agree closing them is not an option, so we are very limited in what we can do to stop the virus spreading.

Without stricter enforcement...

Edited by efcfanwirral