When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

This is absolutely woeful. Fucking hell this is exactly what the daily mail have been searching for innit.

I’ve been through six pandemics? Right, do we have a vampire on our hands?

These would be the first people bullying nurses the second they go into hospital. 

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Here we fucking go!!!!!!

049C7278-6D20-4588-A5D2-0C9AE00761EC.png

"Weeks" sounds soon, but there are only 8 weeks left until Christmas. Sounds very much in line with what we've been hearing on roll out starting late this year.

I suppose this is how you find out something that's so highly anticipated - you never get the one sudden piece of news that it's happening, but lots and lots of rumours until the official announcement when it comes is no surprise. A bit like the specs of a hotly anticipated smartphone.

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

"Weeks" sounds soon, but there are only 8 weeks left until Christmas. Sounds very much in line with what we've been hearing on roll out starting late this year.

I suppose this is how you find out something that's so highly anticipated - you never get the one sudden piece of news that it's happening, but lots and lots of rumours until the official announcement when it comes is no surprise. A bit like the specs of a hotly anticipated smartphone.

Or indeed the Glastonbury headliners if you read efests forums as much as we do...

I won't believe anything that's published in The Mail, the Tory propaganda wing. 'Weeks' could be anything, it's quite the Trumpian thing to say. Lets just err on the side of caution especially given the source, before we go sharing every good news article from the Daily Mail 😂

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I won't believe anything that's published in The Mail, the Tory propaganda wing. 'Weeks' could be anything, it's quite the Trumpian thing to say. Lets just err on the side of caution especially given the source, before we go sharing every good news article from the Daily Mail 😂

The article says "before Christmas", which lines up nicely with what we've heard elsewhere...but yeah, it's not a trusted source.

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The article says "before Christmas", which lines up nicely with what we've heard elsewhere...but yeah, it's not a trusted source.

They won’t be rolling out a mass vaccination programme before Christmas, they can barely test and trace 100k people a week. Sure they might be able to get some vaccine out to staff but this is the same government we criticise every day for being useless, front page of the Mail won’t change that. What is said on that front page would be ambitious even for a vaguely competent administration.

Edited by Ozanne

The Mrs is on the Oxford trial, and while we have no idea if she's had the actual vaccine or is in the control group, we have a sense that a) she's had the vaccine, and b) it works. 

This is mainly because she is a geriatrician on a ward (south yorks) where everyone is either Covid positive or their weekly test justt isn't back yet, the infection control is pretty whack due to the hospital being old and utterly unsuited for a pandemic, and docs and nurses (who aren't on the trial) are dropping like flies. Yet, she's completely fine. So, I'm hopeful, if they can ramp this thing up to scale...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

They won’t be rolling out a mass vaccination programme before Christmas, they can barely test and trace 100k people a week. Sure they might be able to get some vaccine out to staff but this is the same government we criticise every day for being useless, front page of the Mail won’t change that What is said on that front page would be ambitious even for a vaguely competent administration.

No they won't. They'll start a limited roll out, beginning with the front line health workers. That's all The Mail is saying and it's consistent with other sources.

But to be fair, deployment of a vaccine is well within the capabilities of this country, they've been trial running it with the flu shots. It's not like test and trace where something new and complex needs to be built. It's probably going to be quicker than you think once it gets going next year, but also probably slower than I'm hoping!

6 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Just FYI NHS staff are already being vaccinated. They're part of the phase 3 trial here, presumably this is a wider roll out.

I'd never considered this angle - do you mean that NHS staff are disproportionately represented in the phase 3 trials? I suppose it makes sense, because their increased exposure to the virus means protection of the vaccine will be easier to pick up statistically speaking.

2 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'd never considered this angle - do you mean that NHS staff are disproportionately represented in the phase 3 trials? I suppose it makes sense, because their increased exposure to the virus means protection of the vaccine will be easier to pick up statistically speaking.

As I understand it one of the phase 3 trials IS NHS staff. Like you say back in early summer they were one of the few areas with enough infection circulating to be able to provide significant enough results.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

No they won't. They'll start a limited roll out, beginning with the front line health workers. That's all The Mail is saying and it's consistent with other sources.

But to be fair, deployment of a vaccine is well within the capabilities of this country, they've been trial running it with the flu shots. It's not like test and trace where something new and complex needs to be built. It's probably going to be quicker than you think once it gets going next year, but also probably slower than I'm hoping!

I’m sure it will be quick once it gets going but to claim as that front page says that they are ‘preparing for a national vaccination programme before Christmas’, is sensationalist Daily Mail reporting. It’ll just build peoples expectations that things will get back to normal before Christmas. 

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

Remember the Tories will want all the heat taken off this children's school meal story, so they'll be placing as many positive puff pieces like this (from what I can see) vaccine non-story through their media partners like the Mail over the coming week/s.

Exactly. The DM is a propaganda rag for the Tories, this story is conveniently timed to take attention away from their negative press.

I never thought I’d see the day on here someone shares a Mail front page and people accept it 😂 . As I said never trust the Daily Mail.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

As I understand it one of the phase 3 trials IS NHS staff. Like you say back in early summer they were one of the few areas with enough infection circulating to be able to provide significant enough results.

I remember at the time that was one of the reasons they started trials in the Americas.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’m sure it will be quick once it gets going but to claim as that front page says that they are ‘preparing for a national vaccination programme before Christmas’, is sensationalist Daily Mail reporting. It’ll just build peoples expectations that things will get back to normal before Christmas. 

Exactly. The DM is a propaganda rag for the Tories, this story is conveniently timed to take attention away from their negative press.

I never thought I’d see the day on here someone shares a Mail front page and people accept it 😂 . As I said never trust the Daily Mail.

I guess I'm just reading it in the context of what I already know. Of course their spin is OTT, it's the worst newspaper in the world, but... It doesn't appear to be inaccurate if taken with appropriate salt. The health worker vaccinations will be the beginning of the national roll out and is likely to start before Christmas and that is "within weeks" i.e. just under two months, so not "within months".

Of course, you have to squint a bit and tune out the hyperbole, but I'm going to take this article as another drip corroborating the idea that a limited roll out to health workers will begin (probably mid) December. And that this will be the beginning of the real thing where a phased deployment of the vaccine is rolled out to the most at risk categories.

They don't say anyone else will get it this year to be fair to them.