When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

It certainly feels a bit Orwellian to me.

It’s a great example of bringing up a measure which probably has 0 public support and isn’t based in any science. It’s an attempt to be seen to be doing something.

Just now, steviewevie said:

It's part of the closing non essential shops thing for a few weeks.

Yeah but wtf is a non essential item. If it’s in a shop like Tesco then it’s an essential item.

Ok maybe going to top shop isn’t essential shopping - but I don’t like this terminology or phrasing at all.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Yeah but wtf is a non essential item. If it’s in a shop like Tesco then it’s an essential item.

But Tesco sells almost everything. It's not fair to close high street and independent  shops whist letting supermarkets sell the exact same things.

3 minutes ago, Chawk said:

But Tesco sells almost everything. It's not fair to close high street and independent  shops whist letting supermarkets sell the exact same things.

Explain that to the oldies who don’t use the internet or have an Amazon account!

9 minutes ago, Chawk said:

But these things are also sold online. Is it right to put a delivery worker at risk to specifically deliver your book/whatever rather than you buy it at the same time as your food shopping. 

I know there's a line but it's re5nt hard to justify when you start roping off specific shelves in a store.  

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

But these things are also sold online.

online is an open market place though, no online shops are being told to close so it's fair competition. 

11 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Speaking from a personal point of view I find it really bizarre people can be comfortable with this sort of thing.

I'm not really arguing on whether any shops should be closed or not, or what's an essential item or isn't.

But I think that if the government forces an independent book or clothes shop to close, then it's unfair to let a supermarket down the road carry on selling those items. Bear in mind that many supermarkets may have a larger floor space for clothes than the high street shops that have told to close. It's not really Orwellian for the rules to be consistent between large and small retailers.

Edited by Chawk

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Sounds like rubbish to me.

If Biden wins, he might put a stop to a uk/us trade deal that undermines the northern Ireland agreement, which would screw no deal as an option (not that a deal with the US would be even remotely enough by itself), so I do think the election result will have an important impact. 

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Speaking from a personal point of view I find it really bizarre people can be comfortable with this sort of thing.

Would you be comfortable with M&S Food Hall being open whilst the rest of the shop is closed?

Are you comfortable with any shop being deemed non-essential?

As I've said in the past when defending this I actually think it probably goes too far but I do understand it. Ideally the solution would be more support for the retailers forced to close rather than the admittedly farcical scenes we have seen but ultimately if shoe shops have to close then the bit of a supermarket that is essentially a shoe shop might have to close.