When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 hour ago, Toilet Duck said:

At the moment no unfortunately. The hope is that they fall into this category though. The viral loads in the upper respiratory tract of animals in the pre-clinical studies for the Oxford vaccine were still pretty high, but reduced in the lungs, so the initial suggestion was that it might not have the desired effect on transmissibility. That seems to have tempered somewhat as the phase 1/2 trial went on and the noises coming out from the various vaccine groups are that they are expecting a good neutralising antibody response giving good protection against disease (for how long we don't know yet), but also reducing transmission a bit (while not being entirely sterilising...though hard data on this isn't really there yet). This is pretty much where the flu vaccine sits, though again, suggestions from the different vaccine groups are that they are seeing 70-90% efficacy rates (datasets are still small though, there's time for this to drop), rather than the 30-50% we get with the flu vaccine, meaning that the vulnerable population decreases a good bit with reasonable uptake of the vaccines (if the 75% or so of vulnerable individuals that normally take the flu vaccine is bettered, along with a 50% uptake in low risk populations, then even though the CFR of COVID is higher than most flus, we should be able to get it down to a point where they are comparable...the balance really is between better efficacy and uptake versus a higher mortality rate...somebody smarter than me will work out the exact maths on that, but being optimistic, a 90% efficacy rate would drop the risk of dying from about 20% in an over 80s male with underlying conditions, back down to 2%...that's the extreme example both in in terms of optimistic efficacy and pessimistic mortality rates..add in better therapeutics to improve outcomes and I think that's something we can live with, albeit still a strain on our healthcare systems...the minimum efficacy rate required to get approval for a vaccine would still halve the fatality rates, so again, coupled with therapeutics that have now been shown to improve outcomes significantly, we'd be close to managing things...of course, the caveat here being what the efficacy rate is like in older, high risk populations). 

Thanks! Informative as always! 

5 hours ago, Homer said:

Refusing to feed children because someone called you scum isn't exactly the best way they can refute the origianl allegation.

Rashford continues to impress as a human being. Regardless of your team colours, I hope everyone will vote for him as Sports personality of the year when it comes to the public vote.

12 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Hold it, Wales banning supermarkets from selling certain goods seems... ridicuolous. 

It is absurd. The intention to protect small businesses is good, but in reality they’ve just shovelled a wad of cash to Amazon who won’t pay any fucking tax anyway. 

Edited by zero000

10 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Yes all renewable energy sources will have huge teething problems from transitioning from the oil industry. Obviously the easier cheaper, more profitable option is oil. There is already infrastructure for oil and a huge industry around it, Which is why Trump defends it beyond all reason.

But that's not the point, no one is trying to make the argument that we should invest in renewable energy for immediate profit, that's just not realistic. Yes wind turbines will cost billions to make and install and same for installing the solar pannelling in buildings across America. But that's not the point, the point is the oil industry is unstainable and destroying our environment, It will only cause great hardships to the world and American people for it to continue. - Yes these oil tycoons and industries will stay rich until the planet dies.

The point about birds dying for me was ridiculous not because I don't believe building a turbine will have no effect on the environment at all, (that's just not realistic) But the actual goal of renewable energy is a far longer game than the effect of it being built. - When renewable energy is an industry, they will find ways to make turbines last longer than 20 years (Going off your facts, I haven't looked into that) - But the laughable bit about the bird is comparing a few birds harmed in turbine building, to the millions of birds, fish and wildlife, harmed by just the BP oil spill alone. And that's before you even factor in the amount of wildlife being displaced or destroyed due to global warming and then the end of all wildlife if we destroy this planet by mining all it's resources. 

This is the quote from Trump on windmills Biden was referring to: "If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations your house just went down 75% in value. And they say the noise causes cancer, you tell me that one, okay?" - source: https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-claims-wind-turbine-noise-causes-cancer-11683102

Overall I don't understand your point, If we are being realistic we have to face the fact that continuing with an oil industry and not looking for alternative renewable energy will be the undoing of the human race according to most, if not all,  credible scientists. Trump and the republican party just don't care about the effect of the industry because they'll be dead when it matters

You suggested any criticism of windpower was conspiracy theory, I was just trying to make the point that there are valid criticisms to be made, and in fairness to Trump he did praise solar so he's not totally anti green energy. Totally agree with you on the transition to greener energy, I would prefer more investment in hydro/wave energy, as that would be more reliable (in a generating sense - pretty constant regular cycles) a lot of the comments on that video were pro-nuclear but I can't see how anyone can consider that environmentally good when you consider the disastrous record nuclear has (3 mile island , Chernobyl, Fukushima).

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As much as the rest of the video was creepy - it looked like he was tucking his shirt in to me.

Got to agree. Seems like a mistake to focus on that when he can just say he was tucking his shirt in, but then the rest of his weirdness and creepiness gets glossed over

1 minute ago, Punksnotdead said:

Rashford continues to impress as a human being. Regardless of your team colours, I hope everyone will vote for him as Sports personality of the year when it comes to the public vote.

For sure. This isn’t about football teams, he’s done incredible work for society and I hope the pressure he puts on leads to change.

18 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Important to note that this was originally a UKGOV petition but it was taken down after 5 signatures

Hmmmm.....I wonder why 🤔

2 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Is there a vote for personality of the year ... taking out the sport bit ? He’d be very high up :) 

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Saw them last December, they were a far tighter live band than I was expecting, you'll have a great time when it does eventually happen. Also had a few beers with them in the pub after and they were all really sound lads.

Ah that's nice to hear! I'll look forward to doing so in a year and a half's time...

So I've just had my ONS test taken and now I'm confused. I thought it was going to be the throat and nose thing, but it wasn't - it was just a swab that you wipe around the inside of each nostril for 20 seconds. Is that a different type of test then? I did query it and the guy said it was front of nose, not back of nose. Needless to say it was a piece of piss on that basis, but not what I was expecting. Also had blood taken for antibody test, which I would be very curious to know about given my partner had symptoms in late Feb/March. Do doubt we've had it, though.

13 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Is there a vote for personality of the year ... taking out the sport bit ? He’d be very high up :) 

Given that the only competition for SPOTY appears to be tax dodger Lewis Hamilton, homophobe Tyson Fury & professional whinger Ronnie O'Sullivan, Rashford has to be a shoo-in doesn't he?

3 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The hero we need 

It's easy for her to say that now after they've both already recovered from COVID-19. So basically she's a hero for wanting to put others at risk so she can crack on with doing what she likes?

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Is captain Tom good at football then ... ? I’m not so sure on the captain Tom thing looking back ... although I did donate at the time .... 

I have a pretty controversial view on the captain Tom thing myself. I think what he did is great by the way, the guy is a hero and should be celebrated. I also think that it’s dangerous to start viewing the NHS as a charitable organisation and we shouldn’t be raising money for it. I donated a tenner in his honour to a Scottish charity that looks after single parent families. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I have a pretty controversial view on the captain Tom thing myself. I think what he did is great by the way, the guy is a hero and should be celebrated. I also think that it’s dangerous to start viewing the NHS as a charitable organisation and we shouldn’t be raising money for it. I donated a tenner in his honour to a Scottish charity that looks after single parent families. 

I’m not sure how much was actually driven by captain Tom and how much by his daughter searching for limelight whilst having a silver spoon in her mouth  ... the overall amount that was raised was massive and amazing for the cause but I do wonder how much of it was to play into the we are in it together narrative ... right that’s my conspiracy for the year ... back onto real life :) 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m not sure how much was actually driven by captain Tom and how much by his daughter searching for limelight whilst having a silver spoon in her mouth  ... the overall amount that was raised was massive and amazing for the cause but I do wonder how much of it was to play into the we are in it together narrative ... right that’s my conspiracy for the year ... back onto real life :) 

I thought this at the time. I think she worked the name of her company into the first interview she did, which I found quite off putting.

I did still chuck a tenner in in the early stages - clearly too much of a sucker :)

I'm not going to guess the number of cases today because I think that's past it's sell-by date but I'll say that we had 15,650 last Friday and we really want to start seeing some flat lines in the 7 day rolling average so hopefully it's not much higher than last week's figure. I'm not confident though.

Scotland has 5 Tiers (or levels).

• Level zero - eight people from three households can meet indoors. Most businesses would be open. Ms Sturgeon said this is the "closest to normality we can safely get to without more effective treatments or a vaccine"
  • Level one - six people from two households can meet indoors. This level would offer a "reasonable degree of normality"
  • Level two - limitations on hospitality and no gatherings inside people's homes. This will be broadly similar to current restrictions outside Scotland' central belt
  • Level three - much of hospitality closed completely, although restaurants may be able to open. Similar to current central belt restrictions
  • Level four - Closer to full lockdown, but six people from two households would still be able to meet outdoors. This would not be used "unless absolutely necessary"