When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

54 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Thanks! I think I'll probably be okay. Hope so as am signing up to do it semi regularly for this study...

It's not that terrible when you self administer as you have control.  I've done 5 ONS tests now (and one NHS test I never got a result from, still grumbling about that) and I have a really bad gag reflex so the throat part is the worst bit.  The NHS video on how to self administer is worth watching as it goes into more detail than the ONS instructions.  First appointment takes a while as there are more questions to answer, now they just ask if there are any changes in my circumstances to report (contact with others) and it's over and done with in 5-10 minutes each week.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

R 1.3 suggests infections doubling every 14 days if my numbers are correct 

and we should get a slowing down with the new areas under restrictions .... although we won't in the areas that arent .... these will just grow but maybe not some of the large numbers as some of the more densely populated areas .... but any slowing is obviously good .... 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

R 1.3 suggests infections doubling every 14 days if my numbers are correct 

have to see what difference the areas going into Tier2 and Tier3 makes.

I think probably all the messaging may be getting across and people are being more careful too.

Trouble is, it is still going up, and people who die of it in the next 4 weeks have already got it now, so going to be unpleasant news for a while yet...

4 minutes ago, Spindles said:

It's not that terrible when you self administer as you have control.  I've done 5 ONS tests now (and one NHS test I never got a result from, still grumbling about that) and I have a really bad gag reflex so the throat part is the worst bit.  The NHS video on how to self administer is worth watching as it goes into more detail than the ONS instructions.  First appointment takes a while as there are more questions to answer, now they just ask if there are any changes in my circumstances to report (contact with others) and it's over and done with in 5-10 minutes each week.

CE19E91C-1582-4DD7-9344-9E9F6E1A1B2B.jpeg

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

and we should get a slowing down with the new areas under restrictions .... although we won't in the areas that arent .... these will just grow but maybe not some of the large numbers as some of the more densely populated areas .... but any slowing is obviously good .... 

It's Friday.

Let's have some positivity to end the week!

4 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

no thats fair :) .... I tried to be as positive there whilst being realistic .... :) 

Thats all you can be. Whilst the R has dropped slightly it still shows the rate of infection is rising and now moving into older categories of people too. So yeah it’s slightly good news but as we are seeing in case numbers it’s still rising. 

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

I watched the whole debate. 

I have to say it was actually an exciting debate in my opinion. Both candidates did a hell of lot better than last time.

Biden actually laid out a plan last night. A plan that made me have some hope for America. He talks about Bidencare and the transition to sustainable energy. He talks about accountability and how he would straight away tackle covid when he got into power. He talked about the fact that Trump has constantly spoke about plans and new healthcare but never actually released any information. I think anyone with half a brain cell could see Trump is lying about anything he says is coming "very soon" including his tax returns, healthcare and a vaccine. I think if none of those come before Election Day, a lot of people may not be inspired to vote Trump.

Trump tried to sow doubt in Biden, with the hunter emails and Biden's past crime bill hurting Black Americans. But Biden called his crime bill a mistake and said he'd had been fixing it. Trump keep asking Biden, why he couldn't get anything passed in the 8 years under Obama and Biden FINALLY said it was because a republican senate was blocking him. Trump also said some crazy insane things about wind-power. That it kills birds and causes cancer. Which is conspiratory and will play to his q-anon base. But I suspect that base won't be enough to help him win. 

I think if politics hadn't been warped over the years you could say Biden easily won that debate. Becauase so many of trumps statements were baseless and easily disproven. But whether that matters to a lot of Americans is to be seen. If you say Trump won that debate, then all Biden could do to win over voters would be to spew conspiracies and hate speech. But yes I understand the pessimist who grow in everyone in 2016, doesn't want to get their hopes up for Biden. When Trump could still take it. 

Trump actually knew how to Debate and campaign last time. This time he has become desperate and sweaty. 

It was Biden that claimed Trump believed the windmills caused cancer, he may have said something to that effect in the past but he was probably talking about the pollution generated while manufacturing the windmills. To be honest his comments on wind were pretty accurate, even if you discount the fact that some birds are killed by them there is good reason to doubt their value, if you have time watch this video,

The amount of material used to produce this one turbine is incredible, there is a cost both financial and ecological in producing so much steel and concrete, the turbines have an expected life of 20 years will they produce enough energy in that time to justify all this effort? Because this is green technology it is subsidised if they had to be installed and operated on a purely commercial basis they wouldn't be viable. If after 20 years they have to be dismantled that is another cost to consider, hopefully they can be upgraded with more efficient technology by then. I'm not knocking green energy, far from it, it would be great if these turbines gave us unlimited green free energy, but we have to look at these things realistically.

9 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It’s unfortunate that we don’t really have any solid data on case numbers from the spring time because we weren’t mass testing or really doing any monitoring of community prevalence. That makes it really hard to know what the impacts of the first 2 weeks of the previous lockdown were. But I’m going to try to do that anyway.

Let’s assume a one month lag between infections and deaths, and an IFR rate of 0.5%. For example, on the 17th March 2020, the day after population wide social distancing measures were announced, 50 people died with covid-19 in England. I’m going to therefore assume that 10,000 people caught the virus in England on 17th February (pretty scary given that community transmission was believed to be minimal if existent at all on that date).

The peak deaths of 975 in England occurred on 8th April. This suggests that either my one month lag is too long, or more likely that cases had already started to fall before the full lockdown was announced, presumably due to hand washing advice and voluntary social distancing measures that were in place such as working from home and avoiding hospitality venues.

Two weeks after this date, on 22nd April, there were 642 deaths in England, implying that the first two weeks measures probably cut the prevalence by around 1/3. The following week they’d fallen to 493 (just over half of the peak) and another week later they’d fallen to 392 (just over 40% of the peak)

That to me implies that two weeks of tough measures can cut case numbers by a third, and three weeks of tough measures can halve them. I favour the latter option because I think halving them would be needed for T&T to stand a chance of not being overwhelmed like it has been now. A third week would also buy extra time to actually sort out the T&T system. 

A four or even six week long circuit breaker would drive infections even lower (40% and 24% of current levels), but I don’t think a circuit breaker of this length would be appropriate given that you’d need a full shutdown including schools and non-essential retail. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s unfortunate that we don’t really have any solid data on case numbers from the spring time because we weren’t mass testing or really doing any monitoring of community prevalence. That makes it really hard to know what the impacts of the first 2 weeks of the previous lockdown were. But I’m going to try to do that anyway.

Let’s assume a one month lag between infections and deaths, and an IFR rate of 0.5%. For example, on the 17th March 2020, the day after population wide social distancing measures were announced, 50 people died with covid-19 in England. I’m going to therefore assume that 10,000 people caught the virus in England on 17th February (pretty scary given that community transmission was believed to be minimal if existent at all on that date).

The peak deaths of 975 in England occurred on 8th April. This suggests that either my one month lag is too long, or more likely that cases had already started to fall before the full lockdown was announced, presumably due to hand washing advice and voluntary social distancing measures that were in place such as working from home and avoiding hospitality venues.

Two weeks after this date, on 22nd April, there were 642 deaths in England, implying that the first two weeks measures probably cut the prevalence by around 1/3. The following week they’d fallen to 493 (just over half of the peak) and another week later they’d fallen to 392 (just over 40% of the peak)

That to me implies that two weeks of tough measures can cut case numbers by a third, and three weeks of tough measures can halve them. I favour the latter option because I think halving them would be needed for T&T to stand a chance of not being overwhelmed like it has been now. A third week would also buy extra time to actually sort out the T&T system. 

A four or even six week long circuit breaker would drive infections even lower (40% and 24% of current levels), but I don’t think a circuit breaker of this length would be appropriate given that you’d need a full shutdown including schools and non-essential retail. 

Well, not happening here, not yet anyway. They missed this half term which would have been a good opportunity. Maybe they could do circuit break over next school break in christmas hols, I'm sure that will go down well.

13 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

It was Biden that claimed Trump believed the windmills caused cancer, he may have said something to that effect in the past but he was probably talking about the pollution generated while manufacturing the windmills. To be honest his comments on wind were pretty accurate, even if you discount the fact that some birds are killed by them there is good reason to doubt their value, if you have time watch this video,

The amount of material used to produce this one turbine is incredible, there is a cost both financial and ecological in producing so much steel and concrete, the turbines have an expected life of 20 years will they produce enough energy in that time to justify all this effort? Because this is green technology it is subsidised if they had to be installed and operated on a purely commercial basis they wouldn't be viable. If after 20 years they have to be dismantled that is another cost to consider, hopefully they can be upgraded with more efficient technology by then. I'm not knocking green energy, far from it, it would be great if these turbines gave us unlimited green free energy, but we have to look at these things realistically.

Yes all renewable energy sources will have huge teething problems from transitioning from the oil industry. Obviously the easier cheaper, more profitable option is oil. There is already infrastructure for oil and a huge industry around it, Which is why Trump defends it beyond all reason.

But that's not the point, no one is trying to make the argument that we should invest in renewable energy for immediate profit, that's just not realistic. Yes wind turbines will cost billions to make and install and same for installing the solar pannelling in buildings across America. But that's not the point, the point is the oil industry is unstainable and destroying our environment, It will only cause great hardships to the world and American people for it to continue. - Yes these oil tycoons and industries will stay rich until the planet dies.

The point about birds dying for me was ridiculous not because I don't believe building a turbine will have no effect on the environment at all, (that's just not realistic) But the actual goal of renewable energy is a far longer game than the effect of it being built. - When renewable energy is an industry, they will find ways to make turbines last longer than 20 years (Going off your facts, I haven't looked into that) - But the laughable bit about the bird is comparing a few birds harmed in turbine building, to the millions of birds, fish and wildlife, harmed by just the BP oil spill alone. And that's before you even factor in the amount of wildlife being displaced or destroyed due to global warming and then the end of all wildlife if we destroy this planet by mining all it's resources. 

This is the quote from Trump on windmills Biden was referring to: "If you have a windmill anywhere near your house, congratulations your house just went down 75% in value. And they say the noise causes cancer, you tell me that one, okay?" - source: https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-claims-wind-turbine-noise-causes-cancer-11683102

Overall I don't understand your point, If we are being realistic we have to face the fact that continuing with an oil industry and not looking for alternative renewable energy will be the undoing of the human race according to most, if not all,  credible scientists. Trump and the republican party just don't care about the effect of the industry because they'll be dead when it matters

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Important to note that this was originally a UKGOV petition but it was taken down after 5 signatures

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

"I here to defend America's Mayor, Rudolph Giuliani. What was an
innocent sexy-time encounter between a consenting man and my 15-year-old
daughter has been turned into something disgusting by fake news media."

-- Borat

As much as the rest of the video was creepy - it looked like he was tucking his shirt in to me.