When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

12 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Having done two self-swab tests myself in the last week (under supervision) I can confirm they're not as bad as my expectations built it up to be. I think it would be more uncomfortable to have someone else do it to you though, I guess just not having the control over the thing you're sticking into the back of your throat. 

I had to stop and spit a couple of times while doing the throat part of the test. Wouldn’t be pleasant having someone else doing it for you. 

5 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

2000 Trees and ArcTanGent festivals did not receive any money from the government’s cultural recovery fund. They should be fine thanks to the generosity of their punters but it must be so disheartening to read the words you’re deemed ‘culturally insignificant’ on top of the bad news you haven’t been chosen. Where’s the tact?

Not sure what the criteria is but these are two festivals who seem from the outside to be doing everything the right way and for the right reasons.Crazy.

Edited by rivalschools.price

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

No, I don't want anyone to catch it at all. I'm not a monster. Ish.

My point, albeit probably badly made as this pisses me off so much, is that people can be very vocal about "I've had my life" and "I'll take the risk" and "if I catch it, so be it". But because this is a situation that is affecting EVERYONE, it's an incredibly selfish take. And if they were presented with those conditions of their bravura "I'll take my chances" approach, I would wager my house that most of them would pipe down pretty damn sharpish.

Yep, thought that was clear in your previous post. If the decision of people who opted for 'we just have to live with it' only impacted themselves, then fair enough, but it doesn't because they will spread virus, increasing the pressure on the nhs, leading to cancelled cancer treatment and other operations (and possibly overloading it to the extent that people can't get treatment for anything). 

14 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You really do not have a clue Matt. Might be one of the dumbest things I've read on here.

Doesn't Biden have something like a 30 point lead in California? A couple of the house races are neck and neck, but there's no way on earth Trump wins California! 

43 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

Having done two self-swab tests myself in the last week (under supervision) I can confirm they're not as bad as my expectations built it up to be. I think it would be more uncomfortable to have someone else do it to you though, I guess just not having the control over the thing you're sticking into the back of your throat. 

Cheers! Yeah I see some people saying it's not that bad and some saying it's horrendous. I guess we'll see. I think I might be doing it myself under supervision but not sure.

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Doesn't Biden have something like a 30 point lead in California? A couple of the house races are neck and neck, but there's no way on earth Trump wins California! 

Yes but Matt made it pretty clear: he's had a funny feeling about it. So there you go.

I watched the whole debate. 

I have to say it was actually an exciting debate in my opinion. Both candidates did a hell of lot better than last time.

Biden actually laid out a plan last night. A plan that made me have some hope for America. He talks about Bidencare and the transition to sustainable energy. He talks about accountability and how he would straight away tackle covid when he got into power. He talked about the fact that Trump has constantly spoke about plans and new healthcare but never actually released any information. I think anyone with half a brain cell could see Trump is lying about anything he says is coming "very soon" including his tax returns, healthcare and a vaccine. I think if none of those come before Election Day, a lot of people may not be inspired to vote Trump.

Trump tried to sow doubt in Biden, with the hunter emails and Biden's past crime bill hurting Black Americans. But Biden called his crime bill a mistake and said he'd had been fixing it. Trump keep asking Biden, why he couldn't get anything passed in the 8 years under Obama and Biden FINALLY said it was because a republican senate was blocking him. Trump also said some crazy insane things about wind-power. That it kills birds and causes cancer. Which is conspiratory and will play to his q-anon base. But I suspect that base won't be enough to help him win. 

I think if politics hadn't been warped over the years you could say Biden easily won that debate. Becauase so many of trumps statements were baseless and easily disproven. But whether that matters to a lot of Americans is to be seen. If you say Trump won that debate, then all Biden could do to win over voters would be to spew conspiracies and hate speech. But yes I understand the pessimist who grow in everyone in 2016, doesn't want to get their hopes up for Biden. When Trump could still take it. 

Trump actually knew how to Debate and campaign last time. This time he has become desperate and sweaty. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Paging @Toilet Duck  With the covid vaccines in development I understand it’s likely they may not stop you catching Covid, but may reduce the strength of the disease course.

If that is the case do we have any idea if those people who are vaccinated and who do contract COVID, will be less infectious than individuals who aren’t vaccinated?

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I watched the whole debate. 

I have to say it was actually an exciting debate in my opinion. Both candidates did a hell of lot better than last time.

Biden actually laid out a plan last night. A plan that made me have some hope for America. He talks about Bidencare and the transition to sustainable energy. He talks about accountability and how he would straight away tackle covid when he got into power. He talked about the fact that Trump has constantly spoke about plans and new healthcare but never actually released any information. I think anyone with half a brain cell could see Trump is lying about anything he says is coming "very soon" including his tax returns, healthcare and a vaccine. I think if none of those come before Election Day, a lot of people may not be inspired to vote Trump.

Trump tried to sow doubt in Biden, with the hunter emails and Biden's past crime bill hurting Black Americans. But Biden called his crime bill a mistake and said he'd had been fixing it. Trump keep asking Biden, why he couldn't get anything passed in the 8 years under Obama and Biden FINALLY said it was because a republican senate was blocking him. Trump also said some crazy insane things about wind-power. That it kills birds and causes cancer. Which is conspiratory and will play to his q-anon base. But I suspect that base won't be enough to help him win. 

I think if politics hadn't been warped over the years you could say Biden easily won that debate. Becauase so many of trumps statements were baseless and easily disproven. But whether that matters to a lot of Americans is to be seen. If you say Trump won that debate, then all Biden could do to win over voters would be to spew conspiracies and hate speech. But yes I understand the pessimist who grow in everyone in 2016, doesn't want to get their hopes up for Biden. When Trump could still take it. 

Trump actually knew how to Debate and campaign last time. This time he has become desperate and sweaty. 

Cheers for the precis - v interesting.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Should be having my first test for the ONS study today. Guy called me this morning and coming over later. I'm a bit nervous about it as have heard they're horrible! Guess we'll see.

I had a covid test when I was in hospital a few weeks ago. I have a terrible gag reflex, so I told the nurse who then put on a pair of goggles! 😄

I gagged a little bit but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Uncomfortable for a moment but nothing to get worried about!

48 minutes ago, Stu H said:

You want someone who catches a virus through no fault of their own (it's a microscopic pathogen) to be denied hospital treatment should they need it, because you might not fully agree with their 'behaviour'?

I mean, I've read some responses, but that's impressive.

How about phrasing it a different way: priority for hospital care should be given to those who don't break the law.

That seems reasonable, but it's not happening at the moment. People are dying because of undiagnosed cancer and restrictions on treatments available, while the NHS treats some people that are only in hospital because they decided the virus was a hoax or they were going to get on with it regardless.

(This is all theorycrafting anyway as obviously there's no simple way to know who is and isn't following the rules. If there was, and if hospital treatment was contingent on people following the rules, a lot more people would be doing so).

Just now, Punksnotdead said:

I had a covid test when I was in hospital a few weeks ago. I have a terrible gag reflex, so I told the nurse who then put on a pair of goggles! 😄

I gagged a little bit but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be. Uncomfortable for a moment but nothing to get worried about!

Thanks! I think I'll probably be okay. Hope so as am signing up to do it semi regularly for this study...

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

How about phrasing it a different way: priority for hospital care should be given to those who don't break the law.

That seems reasonable, but it's not happening at the moment. People are dying because of undiagnosed cancer and restrictions on treatments available, while the NHS treats some people that are only in hospital because they decided the virus was a hoax or they were going to get on with it regardless.

(This is all theorycrafting anyway as obviously there's no simple way to know who is and isn't following the rules. If there was, and if hospital treatment was contingent on people following the rules, a lot more people would be doing so).

Not even that, as not everyone who breaks the law will be doing it so wilfully.

But as you say it's entirely theoretical.

Just now, zero000 said:

Paging @Toilet Duck  With the covid vaccines in development I understand it’s likely they may not stop you catching Covid, but may reduce the strength of the disease course.

If that is the case do we have any idea if those people who are vaccinated and who do contract COVID, will be less infectious than individuals who aren’t vaccinated?

At the moment no unfortunately. The hope is that they fall into this category though. The viral loads in the upper respiratory tract of animals in the pre-clinical studies for the Oxford vaccine were still pretty high, but reduced in the lungs, so the initial suggestion was that it might not have the desired effect on transmissibility. That seems to have tempered somewhat as the phase 1/2 trial went on and the noises coming out from the various vaccine groups are that they are expecting a good neutralising antibody response giving good protection against disease (for how long we don't know yet), but also reducing transmission a bit (while not being entirely sterilising...though hard data on this isn't really there yet). This is pretty much where the flu vaccine sits, though again, suggestions from the different vaccine groups are that they are seeing 70-90% efficacy rates (datasets are still small though, there's time for this to drop), rather than the 30-50% we get with the flu vaccine, meaning that the vulnerable population decreases a good bit with reasonable uptake of the vaccines (if the 75% or so of vulnerable individuals that normally take the flu vaccine is bettered, along with a 50% uptake in low risk populations, then even though the CFR of COVID is higher than most flus, we should be able to get it down to a point where they are comparable...the balance really is between better efficacy and uptake versus a higher mortality rate...somebody smarter than me will work out the exact maths on that, but being optimistic, a 90% efficacy rate would drop the risk of dying from about 20% in an over 80s male with underlying conditions, back down to 2%...that's the extreme example both in in terms of optimistic efficacy and pessimistic mortality rates..add in better therapeutics to improve outcomes and I think that's something we can live with, albeit still a strain on our healthcare systems...the minimum efficacy rate required to get approval for a vaccine would still halve the fatality rates, so again, coupled with therapeutics that have now been shown to improve outcomes significantly, we'd be close to managing things...of course, the caveat here being what the efficacy rate is like in older, high risk populations). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

To be honest I see them as kind of  a novelty band, but thought they'd be a good laugh. Kind of raucous fun punk. Check out Smoko.

Saw them last December, they were a far tighter live band than I was expecting, you'll have a great time when it does eventually happen. Also had a few beers with them in the pub after and they were all really sound lads.