When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

28 minutes ago, Quark said:

Struggle to believe it's been 4 years of Trump and Brexit. I've got a working theory that the guys at CERN did open up a parallel universe back at the end of 2015 as some news articles were talking about, and we just haven't noticed that's what happened.

Biden winning wont fix the world overnight, but dear God it would be a relief just to see something approaching a normal thing happening.

Yeah this. I'm still convinced everything went to shit when Bowie died. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

Food for thought

I’d rather not decorate this up more than I just have an instinctive feeling.

I have a feeling in my waters that Trump will win by keeping Florida and Texas and winning a Democrat safe state off them. 

With all that’s been going on there recently, and the fact that he got 4 million votes there in the last election, and there has been a serious effort to grow a Republican community there - I genuinely think there’s a chance California could turn red. Many people who live there now feel like Democrat governance has made it a poor state to live in. Obviously this is just instinctive but if you look up the ‘California turning red’ movement, you’l see it’s something not reported on

I’m sorry but all the evidence indicates there is no chance California turns red none at all. I would provide data but I doubt it’ll do in this discussion. Rest assured though there is actual data to support CA being one of the safest Dem states that goes against your instinct. 

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Food for thought

I’d rather not decorate this up more than I just have an instinctive feeling.

I have a feeling in my waters that Trump will win by keeping Florida and Texas and winning a Democrat safe state off them. 

With all that’s been going on there recently, and the fact that he got 4 million votes there in the last election, and there has been a serious effort to grow a Republican community there - I genuinely think there’s a chance California could turn red. Many people who live there now feel like Democrat governance has made it a poor state to live in. Obviously this is just instinctive but if you look up the ‘California turning red’ movement, you’l see it’s something not reported on

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Trump isn't going to win california

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yep I feel for anyone in hospitality at the moment. All the restaurants in Manchester are crying out for customers but a lot of people won't travel into Manchester for just a meal. Most people if they are going in combine it with shopping and a couple of bars. 

We are in tier 3 but the numbers in my local area are way lower than a lot of tier 2 areas and we live literally 100 yards from tier 2. We are due to go on holiday to Northumberland next week. The advice is not to travel but we were doing it to escape the fireworks because one of my dogs is really poorly and petrified of them. We spoke to the owner of the cottage and explained our plan as we only ever intended to effectively self-isolate up there. We've agreed to effectively self-isolate here for the next week and we will only be having deliveries when we get there. I think the owner of the cottage was exceedingly grateful. 

It's really tough.  Anecdotally we're seeing quite a bit of peer pressure in our industry to not accept bookings from people in tiers 2 and 3.  And because it's a legal requirement for me (a guesthouse) to take guests' addresses when they book, I do know where they are traveling from.  And I can see the logic.

Where it falls down for me is that bars and restaurants are not obliged to turn people away , and without government help I'm not in a position financially to do so.  Plus I don't want to be the person to pick up the phone and tell someone they can't have their brake when, legally, they are still fully allowed to do so.  They are increasingly cancelling themselves though, so it's becoming moot.

What an absolute shambles, and utterly predictable.

So France recorded 41,000 cases yesterday (which is basically double the UK) however only recorded 161 deaths (which is less than we seem to be recorded on average). There is obviously a lag, but France are supposedly 4 weeks ahead of us in the pandemic. 

Is this because France are testing more or that we are an unhealthier nation? UK deaths seem so high as a proportion to cases than most other countries. 

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's really tough.  Anecdotally we're seeing quite a bit of peer pressure in our industry to not accept bookings from people in tiers 2 and 3.  And because it's a legal requirement for me (a guesthouse) to take guests' addresses when they book, I do know where they are traveling from.  And I can see the logic.

Where it falls down for me is that bars and restaurants are not obliged to turn people away , and without government help I'm not in a position financially to do so.  Plus I don't want to be the person to pick up the phone and tell someone they can't have their brake when, legally, they are still fully allowed to do so.  They are increasingly cancelling themselves though, so it's becoming moot.

What an absolute shambles, and utterly predictable.

Yes in a guesthouse it's much trickier because it is a bigger risk if one person infects another. We're lucky to be in the position to self-isolate at home and then because it's a self-catering cottage self-isolate when we get there. We're also lucky that all we ever wanted to do is a dog walk a day and watch tv so it's not like it has spoilt our plans. We just didn't want the dog to be terrified and keep her safe until she can have her MRI scan. 

Whilst polling might show who people prefer, I’m not sure it shows who people are actually going to vote for.

I worry with Biden that his campaign very easily falls apart - as Neil said - I don’t think he has an tangible goal other than “I’m not trump”.

I worry at the last minute the steam behind Biden might run out.

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Yes in a guesthouse it's much trickier because it is a bigger risk if one person infects another. We're lucky to be in the position to self-isolate at home and then because it's a self-catering cottage self-isolate when we get there. We're also lucky that all we ever wanted to do is a dog walk a day and watch tv so it's not like it has spoilt our plans. We just didn't want the dog to be terrified and keep her safe until she can have her MRI scan. 

We've booked a week self catering in an isolated cottage by the side of a loch in the highlands next month - similar idea to yourself, just to get away and keep ourselves to ourselves.  I'll be gutted if that falls foul of restrictions, we really need the break this year!

2 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

So France recorded 41,000 cases yesterday (which is basically double the UK) however only recorded 161 deaths (which is less than we seem to be recorded on average). There is obviously a lag, but France are supposedly 4 weeks ahead of us in the pandemic. 

Is this because France are testing more or that we are an unhealthier nation? UK deaths seem so high as a proportion to cases than most other countries. 

I think France are actually testing less than we are (last I heard, our testing capacity was double there’s). I’ve also heard some talk that France and Spain are significantly under reporting deaths. However, the fact that the UK has a deeply unhealthy population is certainly a key factor too. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whilst polling might show who people prefer, I’m not sure it shows who people are actually going to vote for.

I worry with Biden that his campaign very easily falls apart - as Neil said - I don’t think he has an tangible goal other than “I’m not trump”.

youve said this for months. Trump ha a decent 15% or so chance of winning but Biden will probably win

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I can feel a result shock brewing

Maybe, I certainly think the chances of Trump winning are probably slightly higher than the polling averages say as polling can't take into account voter suppression shit-housery but I'd still say Biden is favourite.

Trump winning California is however ridiculous.

10 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

could just be a different way of counting the deaths.

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Pollsters know this, many off them ask about certainty to vote, most give more weight to those who say they voted last time, they also look at demographic indicators of likelihood to vote.  

Time and again you come up with problems with the polls but you don't seem to realise pollsters are well aware of these issues and do a lot to compensate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

We've booked a week self catering in an isolated cottage by the side of a loch in the highlands next month - similar idea to yourself, just to get away and keep ourselves to ourselves.  I'll be gutted if that falls foul of restrictions, we really need the break this year!

Yes I keep saying if they say anything I can use the Dominic Cummings defence and say we are doing what's best for our family. We actually can do the drive without stopping and neither of us have COVID and if our eyesight seems a little shaky we'll have Barnard Castle right near by!! 

Hope you can get away as well. This has been the hardest working year of my life and as it's happening from home it ends up taking over our whole life so the change of scenery is much needed!!

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Nicky Morgan? I can't stand her. Showing her true colours here, despite the fact they keep putting her in HIGNFY as some kind of fun Tory (it doesn't work at all there either):

Refusing to feed children because someone called you scum isn't exactly the best way they can refute the origianl allegation.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Pollsters know this, many off them ask about certainty to vote, most give more weight to those who say they voted last time, they also look at demographic indicators of likelihood to vote.  

Time and again you come up with problems with the polls but you don't seem to realise pollsters are well aware of these issues and do a lot to compensate.

It’s impossible to have a discussion with someone when you present data and analysis of said data then that person says their instinct says...