When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Wow. 2 family deaths in one day due to COVID.

Both quite distant and both very old but it just goes to show how this rips through the elderly pretty nastily.  :( 

Think of the oldies chaps. Some of them can’t fight this virus at all. Killed one family member as soon as they started symptoms. 

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Both quite distant and both very old but it just goes to show how this rips through the elderly pretty nastily.  :( 

Think of the oldies chaps. Some of them can’t fight this virus at all. Killed one family member as soon as they started symptoms. 

My condolences Matt.

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry to hear this. Sad news.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

My condolences Matt.

Thank you! Distant family on my dads side but its under some pretty sad circumstances. One of them was admitted to hospital recently (non covid related) and seems to have caught the virus in hospital, brought it back and infected 7/8 members of the family. 2 of them didn’t make it 😕 

Edited by Matt42

I have to say, as bollocks as the last press conference was, I did think it was good how they underlined both the fact that just shielding the vulnerable is an impossible task and that it was an excess of covid cases, rather than the lockdown restrictions because of it, that led to hospitals not being able to see non-covid patients. Both points that seem to need to be made a lot.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JoeyT said:

I can't fathom a society where there are people within it who actually want to restrict what items can be bought at a supermarket?!

What have we become :huh:

As I say I'm not really for it, but I understand if you run a business that is being closed by the government it is galling to see your competitors allowed to trade.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

So sorry for your loss. All my love to you and your family. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Sorry to hear that Matt, I hope you are and your family are ok.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

sorry to hear that.

4 hours ago, Toilet Duck said:

Howdy...So, this really just tells us that it was well designed in the first place. It's basically doing exactly what they wanted it to do, however, it tells us very little in terms of whether it will definitely work or not. Interestingly, while this is a pretty in depth look at how the vaccine as constructed makes the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to generate an immune response, it's really the kind of stringent analytical analysis that would be done at the pre-clinical development stage (long before a vaccine ever makes it into clinical trials...it's basically a good way of selecting out vaccine candidates that are likely to work better than others). That it has been completed while we are in the middle of the phase 3 trial for the vaccine in question shows you just how quickly the development has moved. Normally it takes years to go through these steps, using the data generated at each stage to convince somebody to pay for the next step. The normal development time for vaccines (and how those records are being broken during the pandemic) is often cited as a reason to be wary of the safety of what emerges, but many of the stumbling blocks on the way to translating new discoveries into something we can use are down to who is going to pay for it. Those barriers have been removed this time, so with the financial shackles off, science can move pretty rapidly! 

Toilet Duck is like the Walter White of the board- he's made science fun and keeps us on the edge of our seat!

tenor.gif?itemid=4712522

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Trump vs Biden tonight...and I think they have a mute button. I wonder what Trump's strategy will be, this is his last chance maybe.

Obama had many great lines in his speech yesterday, but I think my favourite may have been his comeback to Trump’s boast about how many jobs were created under his administration...”now, he did inherit the longest streak of job growth in American history, but just like everything else he inherited, he messed it up”...how there’s even any doubt at this stage is staggering.

3 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Obama had many great lines in his speech yesterday, but I think my favourite may have been his comeback to Trump’s boast about how many jobs were created under his administration...”now, he did inherit the longest streak of job growth in American history, but just like everything else he inherited, he messed it up”...how there’s even any doubt at this stage is staggering.

Yeah, saw some of that speech. He is just so goddamn cool.