When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Are butcher’s open? If butchers can’t sell chicken why can Tesco?

Are chocolatiers open? If chocolatiers can’t sell chocolate why can Tesco? 

Exactly.

Butcher's are deemed essential so Tesco meat counter is grand. I know the big chain choclatiers closed but I know the local Sweet Shop stayed open so I reckon Tesco is fine there as well.  Shoes remains a trickier proposition.

I'm not necessarily saying I support it but I certainly see why if I'm in the business of selling shoes and I'm told I can't open as I'm non essential I'd be pretty angry about someone else being allowed to open to sell shoes.

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Exactly.

Butcher's are deemed essential so Tesco meat counter is grand. I know the big chain choclatiers closed but I know the local Sweet Shop stayed open so I reckon Tesco is fine there as well.  Shoes remains a trickier proposition.

I'm not necessarily saying I support it but I certainly see why if I'm in the business of selling shoes and I'm told I can't open as I'm non essential I'd be pretty angry about someone else being allowed to open to sell shoes.

Wait I just assumed both of the examples I gave were considered non-essential. Perhaps not but there will absolutely be examples of businesses who did get forced to close but where supermarkets not selling said item would be considered gross. 

What about the fact that we could buy clothes online the entire time? 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Online is different you don't catch COVID online. Whereas the clothes bit of Tesco is the same as a clothes shop, if one isn't essential why is the other? 

Can the clothes shop stick a few tins of beans on the till to become "essential"?

7 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I don't really have friends and family in my life that vote tory. My dad lives in Scotland, my only over family is all around my generation and avid labour supporters. My friends are the same, we have discussions about the best routes forward but literally I don't talk to Tories (not on purpose or principle) 

But what are some talking points for actually voting tory? 
Like most people will tell you their concerns over immigrants, woke culture, etc. When those are fabricated issues by the tory party. 
You want to tell someone how they are being swindled and they bring up something like Tories are hard on immigrants - Then you've already lost the argument in a way, because you are not arguing an actual issue, but a fabricated one.

Some people just trust the tories with the economy. Some people think that free market capitalism is the best way to run things. Some people trust the tories more on crime, and on security.

Like FuzzyAfro said before, in last election many brexiters, who in the past have voted labour, voted tory. Will they vote tory next time? They might do. And many remainy tories preferred brexit to Corbyn. A lot of people just wanted the brexit thing to stop, they were sick of it.

I think only way back for labour is through coalition. Which way they go with calls for scottish independence and a referendum will be key.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Wait I just assumed both of the examples I gave were considered non-essential. Perhaps not but there will absolutely be examples of businesses who did get forced to close but where supermarkets not selling said item would be considered gross. 

Butchers and greengrocers were allowed to open in the first lockdown. Buying online is fine as you don't have to have any social contact with anyone.

I'm not sure on clothes, but for me non-essentials in supermarkets would be the big stores selling Playstations and DVDs. I don't think anyone is suggesting any food items should be considered non-essential.

29 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

So...did Rishi kill the negotiations between government and gtr manchester the other day so he could ride in on his white horse today?

Well it seems so, as they simply could not give them the win!! They clearly hated someone speaking up and saying no hang on a minute, total power bid to put us in our place - then they have the nerve to say we are politicizing this jeez :rolleyes:

Just now, shoptildrop said:

Well it seems so, as they simply could not give them the win!! They clearly hated someone speaking up and saying no hang on a minute, total power bid to put us in our place - then they have the nerve to say we are politicizing this jeez :rolleyes:

Yeah...maybe...probably...I was actually implying did the treasury say no to Johnson giving Burnham what he wanted so makes Johnson looks bad, so Rishi can then come in with this new generous package so helping his good cop to Johnson's bad cop image.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

How will we afford all this?

I only say that as it’s been asked recently when Keir Starmer wants a circuit breaker lockdown to be brought in but not when the actual Chancellor announces more funding. So if we ask the same of Keir we should ask the same of the people in charge. 

Probably on the (wrong) assumption that the whole country won't end up in tier 3, so it wont be a national thing

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

I'm not sure funnelling money to Amazon is going to help, however unethical and horrible the large supermarkets are they still pay tax and employ local people....

Edited by efcfanwirral

@toiletduck is this one of the tests youve talked about before do you know?

And Hancock also told MPs that lateral flow tests - Covid tests that can deliver results within minutes - started to be rolled out yesterday to schools and universities. Explaining what they could do, he said:

If we can deliver a mass testing solution so that pupils in a bubble don’t have to isolate for a fortnight when one in a bubble tests positive, we will not only control the spread of the virus, we will protect education better, and help schools and teachers and parents to live their lives much closer to normal.

19 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm not sure funnelling money to Amazon is going to help, however unethical and horrible the large supermarkets are they still pay tax and employ local people....

The testing kits are shipping via amazon so they’re getting a nice profit from this anyway 

45 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Online is different you don't catch COVID online. Whereas the clothes bit of Tesco is the same as a clothes shop, if one isn't essential why is the other? 

Can the clothes shop stick a few tins of beans on the till to become "essential"?

this is a good point, i'd not thought of it before 

45 minutes ago, mcshed said:

its an interesting discussion .... you wouldn't personally catch it by shopping online .... but what about the person working  in the wearhouse , the packing , the distribution at some point during that chain someone is at risk , fewer people out and about might reduce the risk overall though ..... Limiting product sales in a supermarket would be an absolute nightmare ... what should be done is some kind of levelling up though 

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Closing off aisles in supermarkets is just going to lead to trolley range and people being packed in tighter ... it’s the 10pm curfew for bars effect 

Surely they could programme the tills to not accept non essential items. This could be based on a complete and non-equivocal list supplied by the government, okay maybe the last bit is a bit wishful.

I do have an image of the Brexit supporting, non mask wearing, Mr & Mrs Selfish Fucknasty, arriving at the till with some panic bought tracksuit bottoms to be greeted with "non essential item in the bagging area".

1 minute ago, Cherry Tree said:

Surely they could programme the tills to not accept non essential items. This could be based on a complete and non-equivocal list supplied by the government, okay maybe the last bit is a bit wishful.

I do have an image of the Brexit supporting, non mask wearing, Mr & Mrs Selfish Fucknasty, arriving at the till with some panic bought tracksuit bottoms to be greeted with "non essential item in the bagging area".

yep thats a possible , they do it  with age restricted items and items with item limits already .... I was thinking of the issues it might cause for staff as you have said ...

52 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Yeah...maybe...probably...I was actually implying did the treasury say no to Johnson giving Burnham what he wanted so makes Johnson looks bad, so Rishi can then come in with this new generous package so helping his good cop to Johnson's bad cop image.

Well the noises coming out this week (think it was Lewis Goodhall that tweeted it) there was a decent pot allocated by the treasury, but it was the people negotiating that changed their minds and walked away to teach Andy Burnham (and anyone watching) that you don't fight us and do as you're told..

The negotiations were just going through the motions an already been pre determined it seems. All councils so far have said they were bullied into accepting what they were given and there was no flexibility at all.

I'm interested to see if North East will be pushed into Tier 3, can see a fight from them too give there is a lot of power paid workers up there 

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

its an interesting discussion .... you wouldn't personally catch it by shopping online .... but what about the person working  in the wearhouse , the packing , the distribution at some point during that chain someone is at risk , fewer people out and about might reduce the risk overall though ..... Limiting product sales in a supermarket would be an absolute nightmare ... what should be done is some kind of levelling up though 

Exactly.. I know our DC has suppressed sales and increased delivery times based on how much they can process safely with measures

Some places won't be as responsible as this I can guarantee you :(

hes shifting the blame onto the public there for test and trace failure ... you must isolate .... despite no financial incentive ,,,, morally I would but understand that some might struggle to support families .... there was something about £500 for those on universal credit wasn't there ? 

7 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

just 78 cases per 100,000 here today .... its nothing !!!  ..... 3 weeks ago 0-2 cases ..... they've fucked it with  no circuit breaker . missed the chance :( 

Still insane that by the governments own september metric of putting places in lockdown with 20 plus cases per 100,000, we would be in a national lockdown.

A lot of people on her talk about how a regional approach is the right approach, but the government have moved the goalposts for a regional approach.