When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

54 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Imaginative, shows how stupid the rules are, but equally it doesn't take a genius to see that the virus doesn't care if it's a business meeting or mates getting together. It'll do nothing but force them to close the loophole.

Not saying I agree with it - I don't, but it does highlight some of the inconsistencies in the tier conditions.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

i assume thats a comment based on ... certain twitter speculation

It could just be purely coincidental that Mark Francois has been absent from Parliament for exactly the same period of time that the Tory MP in his 50s has been on bail. 

13 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I think this will slowly be the case in many Uni campuses as the immediate effect of people travelling around has roughly been felt, I guess it depends how far it consequently spends in the community - I did see something online about how cases are falling in young people as experts seem to think they're sticking to the rules more now so they're not being blamed for anything 

I hate to be a downer. - But whilst many lucky people might have a Christmas approaching normal. - Many people this year will not be able to afford the lights, the decorations, the presents, the food. Some people will be spending their first Christmas without a loved one, or alone. Whilst this happens every year. It will be happening tenfold this year.

It does tend to get to me, that "is christmas happening?" has been a news story for months now, when for some people, christmas won't even enter their mind, because there thinking about how they are gonna eat next month and beyond. Please don't complain that you can't have a big big christmas this year. 

Enjoy what you can have and cherish the time with your family, but don't flout the rules and don't complain that "It's stupid that I can only have 6 people and not 7." - It's that very attitude that has led us to so many more people not getting a christmas this year.

I'm being a bit of humbug here, but I can't even begin to give a crap about christmas this, people spending tons of money on presents and tat, while the country is in this state.

What's more the government will probably have a press conference to encourage people to "christmas shop safe" and then go into a full lockdown after new year. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 7

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

Still world leading then ... 

40DD32D4-8C5D-41B7-9B4B-814A80ADC17C.png

The more prevalent the virus is, the less contact tracing is going to work. It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure that out. NHS Test & Trace is designed to maintain low prevalence by tracking every contact of every case and getting them to isolate. It's never and was never going to work when the situation was out of control.

Increased social distancing is the only way to drive the virus prevalence back down to the levels which T&T can then be implemented to maintain it there. We did this once and failed, mainly because the Tories gave Dido Harding another juicy contract rather than firing money into local projects that were actually workable, paying people to isolate and actually checking that people were isolating. Boris Johnson seems to favour running the virus hot rather than admitting T&T has failed and trying again with a circuit breaker to save christmas and sort out T&T. It's a big gamble because if it fails, Christmas will be a very weird time with hundreds of deaths per day whilst we eat turkey and listen to the queen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

Retrospective for how long? Since July or official tier system announcement?

This is interesting but with them saying backdated to the beginning of August I'm going with the tier 2 "trial" restrictions placed on the NW, Yorkshire and parts of Leicester back in July - this is good if confirmed.

Only thing I will say when they were reeling out a list of places, most Manchester labour borough's were missing - so be interesting to see the detail/clarity on this particular measure

38 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I hate to be a downer. - But whilst many lucky people might have a Christmas approaching normal. - Many people this year will not be able to afford the lights, the decorations, the presents, the food. Some people will be spending their first Christmas without a loved one, or alone. Whilst this happens every year. It will be happening tenfold this year.

It does tend to get to me, that "is christmas happening?" has been a news story for months now, when for some people, christmas won't even enter their mind, because there thinking about how they are gonna eat next month and beyond. Please don't complain that you can't have a big big christmas this year. 

Enjoy what you can have and cherish the time with your family, but don't flout the rules and don't complain that "It's stupid that I can only have 6 people and not 7." - It's that very attitude that has led us to so many more people not getting a christmas this year.

I'm being a bit of humbug here, but I can't even begin to give a crap about christmas this, people spending tons of money on presents and tat, while the country is in this state.

What's more the government will probably have a press conference to encourage people to "christmas shop safe" and then go into a full lockdown after new year. 

I'd also argue it's not worth obsessing over the 25th December. Given the shit show this year has been any time we get to spend time with our loved ones in any semblance of normality is Christmas Day.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

I'd also argue it's not worth obsessing over the 25th December. Given the shit show this year has been any time we get to spend time with our loved ones in any semblance of normality is Christmas Day.

I'm not religious in the slightest but I have a feeling that the 25th of December is more than just spending time with loved ones for many!

I honestly think the office/friend Christmas parties ahead of Christmas, and the New Year parties, are a far bigger problem than the actual few days of Christmas.

During that few days people are not at work, generally not going out, schools aren't in, unis aren't in. You'll probably see fewer people those few days than you would normally if you're still going out to work regularly.

I even remember at the start of lockdown, people were literally saying "can't go out, stuck in with the family, kids off school, it's like bloody Christmas". I don't think its the problem people think it will be, and I don't think relaxing the restrictions around it *a little* would have a major negative effect.

28 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The more prevalent the virus is, the less contact tracing is going to work. It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure that out. NHS Test & Trace is designed to maintain low prevalence by tracking every contact of every case and getting them to isolate. It's never and was never going to work when the situation was out of control.

Increased social distancing is the only way to drive the virus prevalence back down to the levels which T&T can then be implemented to maintain it there. We did this once and failed, mainly because the Tories gave Dido Harding another juicy contract rather than firing money into local projects that were actually workable, paying people to isolate and actually checking that people were isolating. Boris Johnson seems to favour running the virus hot rather than admitting T&T has failed and trying again with a circuit breaker to save christmas and sort out T&T. It's a big gamble because if it fails, Christmas will be a very weird time with hundreds of deaths per day whilst we eat turkey and listen to the queen.

Yep the process just can't cope, it's like ticket day. 

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I honestly think the office/friend Christmas parties ahead of Christmas, and the New Year parties, are a far bigger problem than the actual few days of Christmas.

During that few days people are not at work, generally not going out, schools aren't in, unis aren't in. You'll probably see fewer people those few days than you would normally if you're still going out to work regularly.

I even remember at the start of lockdown, people were literally saying "can't go out, stuck in with the family, kids off school, it's like bloody Christmas". I don't think its the problem people think it will be, and I don't think relaxing the restrictions around it *a little* would have a major negative effect.

Exactly. Even if small family gatherings are allowed, the overall number of contacts your average person would have is lower than usual. 

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It’s more about families being together inside, no windows open and possible older members of the family being there. The virus being picked up then transmitted when people move around in the week after seeing other groups.