When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, SheffJeff said:

My girlfriends said to me last night 'As it's been a shit year I think we should put the tree up early this year'.  No issue to me, I like having the tree up.  'When?' I asked. 'At the  weekend' she replied. Fuck me.

That’s what she said?

1 minute ago, SheffJeff said:

My girlfriends said to me last night 'As it's been a shit year I think we should put the tree up early this year'.  No issue to me, I like having the tree up.  'When?' I asked. 'At the  weekend' she replied. Fuck me.

Well it’s bad luck not taking it down apparently but I’ve not heard anything about putting it up in October before ... pictures please :) 

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

They have, but by all accounts the "no household mixing" rule was being ignored pretty much universally. The new Tier 2 legislation includes large fixed penalties, and puts the onus on the business not to break the rules "by neglect". 

Manchester pubs and restaurants should have asked for funding from the get go and closed, rather than opened, ignored the rules, and pretended it was all fine, while case numbers went up.

Imaginative, shows how stupid the rules are, but equally it doesn't take a genius to see that the virus doesn't care if it's a business meeting or mates getting together. It'll do nothing but force them to close the loophole.

Did you not see what just happened when they tried that this week?

• Like 1

Just now, Zoo Music Girl said:

I got an email from the Big Chill (a bar in London) yesterday saying basically the same as that Wolsley thing: business meetings are exempt so come and have one here! I get that they're pretty desperate but I wonder if this loophole will get closed soon.

Very good bar! I’ve not been for a couple of years, but it was one of my favourites in my early 20s

8 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I love your girlfriend!! Maybe getting my tree up will help!

9 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think it’s good you are getting yourself in a position to accept that Christmas will be different, by the time it comes round hopefully you’ll be feeling more Christmassy!

We can still have a good Christmas even if things are different, it might end the year on a slightly better note than what it has been. I’m sure when Christmas music starts being played, Christmas films are in TV and Christmas food is out you’ll feel a bit more up for it!

You're right, nearer the time I'll be more in the spirit of it x

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

When people say Christmas is not going to be “normal”, do they mean we won’t be having massive office piss ups, or do they mean that I can’t go home to my parents for a few days over Christmas? One of the above is fine and one absolutely is not. 

You'll be able to see your parents. You may not be able to see your aunt, uncle, great aunt, first cousins and grandma all together though. 

I think what we'll get is rule of six but not including kids.

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Did you not see what just happened when they tried that this week?

But that's the point - they waited until they were backed into a corner and therefore had nowhere to go. And they struggled to make the argument that things were loads worse because as you say, technically the rules haven't changed much. What's happened is they've added loads more penalties and enforcement to breaking them. But it's hard to argue "oh we were breaking the rules before so it wasn't half as bad" because it entails admitting to a crime.

Just now, Wellyboot said:

Well you dont really get a choice... you arent having Christmas day alone. I wont have it. You'll have to put up with me on zoom or whatever :) A L L D A Y X

:) I best check in with the family at some point too ...  it’s a choice thing for me ... parents are only 15 mins away .., might join them for a walk but don’t want to be hanging around inside for the sake of just another day of the year ... That’s just my take .. my brother will probably take the kids over to see them ... not something I’m so keen on but that’s his and their choice so I will have to lump it :) 

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

You'll be able to see your parents. You may not be able to see your aunt, uncle, great aunt, first cousins and grandma all together though. 

I think what we'll get is rule of six but not including kids.

But that's the point - they waited until they were backed into a corner and therefore had nowhere to go. And they struggled to make the argument that things were loads worse because as you say, technically the rules haven't changed much. What's happened is they've added loads more penalties and enforcement to breaking them. But it's hard to argue "oh we were breaking the rules before so it wasn't half as bad" because it entails admitting to a crime.

Could live with that, but that’s because my usual Christmas is a group of six anyway. It’s literally me and Miss Afro, my parents, my one surviving grandparent, and her brother (my great uncle). My siblings go off and do their own thing with their other halves and (in my sister’s case) her kids. 

I was planning to pay for a private test for me and my girlfriend before we travel up North anyway just to make absolutely sure. 

18 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

This made me laugh as was having similar conversation about putting the tree up early... maybe not this weekend but defo up early as love all the pretty lights n stuff :)

I guess for Christmas it will just be following the rules for wherever you live. They may relax them for christmas so families can visit each other. You can also ignore any rules of course, but then Santa may not be as kind next year. It won't be the same, but the lights and decorations will be up, shops will be open, you'll be able to buy festive masks, you'll still be able to get a drink, there will still be shite on the tv and overfed turkeys to massacre.

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That's coz they didn't know they were being backed into a corner, we weren't given a proper rulebook when the 'temporary' measures were dropped then changed a hundred times and swapped and changed for different areas.

The rules were checked on by license people constantly, with perhaps a blind eye to the household rule, a rule that other places are turning a blind eye to in the areas you're arguing should get the funding(?).

I can't wait for them to peddle more northern powerhouse bollocks before the next election. I'm used to them tickling our balls for votes then forgetting about us but the contempt that's been on display the last few months is maddening. Hope they fully drop the mask in future and just tell us to do one to our faces. Probably still even get votes to be honest.