When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

50 minutes ago, basicminds said:

I am reading the bbc article on free school meals during the holidays which the tories voted against and found this interesting:

Bassetlaw MP Mr Clarke-Smith asked: "Where is the slick PR campaign encouraging absent parents to take some responsibility for their children?

"I do not believe in nationalising children, instead we need to get back to the idea of taking responsibility.

"This means less celebrity virtue signalling on Twitter by proxy and more action to tackle the real causes of child poverty."

An interesting point about absent parents not taking responsibility and makes me wonder what the psychological reasons could be for this.  Maybe Boris can shed some light on why people abandon their kids?

So why feed them at term time?

secondly if you have been told your business has to close and you only get 2/3rds of your minimum wage, those free meals might make the difference between make or break. 

2 hours ago, Waterdeep said:

Reuters/Washington Post reporting that he was 28, a doctor on the frontline in Rio, and unfortunately died from COVID. Had he actually gotten the vaccine, it might have saved his life. Terribly sad that someone who volunteered to test this out for all of us and who put themselves in harm’s way for their patients should lose their life in this way. It should temper any relief that the trial continues. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, steviewevie said:

Ministers are particularly concerned about the hospitality industry in London”... There you go.

Circuit Breaker back on (but too late?)

5 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I didn't mind too much because it gave me something to do, but some on my team were practically begging to go on furlough because they could get a few months off for only a 20% hit in their wages.

So just to get this right in my head. Furlough was unfair because you had to work from home for full pay but fair to me (and everyone else front line)  who had to work full time plus extra unpaid hours not really knowing what we were dealing with at the start, but hey i did manage to buy some new scrubs as there werent enough to go round due to the constant changing needed and i did get 3quid off so yep totally unfair on you.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Reuters/Washington Post reporting that he was 28, a doctor on the frontline in Rio, and unfortunately died from COVID. Had he actually gotten the vaccine, it might have saved his life. Terribly sad that someone who volunteered to test this out for all of us and who put themselves in harm’s way for their patients should lose their life in this way. It should temper any relief that the trial continues. 

Thought the same. A real tragedy even amongst the thousands of daily tragedies worldwide. A random assignment of control rather than test, a literal coin toss, away from probably still being alive.

I know link already posted and this is further to what was said at the weekend 24hrs after London put into Tier 2 that the Government were urgently looking at options

As someone living in Manchester this pisses me off greatly, it's not that I don't want London or Brum to get help it's the factr that Manchester has been in bloody stricter tier 2 since 31st July and now being forced into Tier 3, yet the Gov are penny pinching or give no fucks when we were in that position months ago!! Christ Bolton had to shut hospitality for take-away for christ knows how long (Tory council too) with bog all extra help

This is not doing my stress levels any good and emergency wine bottle already cracked open :( 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m sure the Tories are playing a game to see how much crap they can pull on the country before we actually start a revolution and overthrow them. 

It’s just mental isn’t it.  I don’t even understand their thinking. In the grand scheme of things this free meals for the poorest kids scheme wouldn’t have cost that much and it would have at least made it look like they care. 

Instead, they look like heartless scum c**ts again. 

5 hours ago, Ozanne said:

This is the full moment, Raynor acted brilliantly there just standing up and basically saying that the Tory MP was making up accusations. Tories are scum and if we had a different party in charge right now our country would be better for it. 

Except she then admitted it and apologised later. Personally I find that embarrassing behaviour for an MP (and I'm no fan of the Tories)
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/labour-deputy-leader-angela-rayner-22885023

2 hours ago, dotdash79 said:

Hatch in Manchester says no, but you only get a table for 2 hours. 

Albert's Schloss is having you order your drinks in advance with your meal. 

So £12 meal and drink, £16 for two drinks, £20 for meal and 3 drinks. 

This is why tier 3 is ridiculous, everyone is finding ways around it. Don't know of many places actually closing. 

33 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

This is why tier 3 is ridiculous, everyone is finding ways around it. Don't know of many places actually closing. 

Yeah tier 3 really is a mess - i just dont see how it's going to work.

Off topic but I'd love one of those tank pints of Pilsner Urquell they used to have there. Been a couple of years now though! 

50 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Pretty spot on really for me. Calling out the fact that there really is no policy that makes any sense

8 hours ago, Gilb said:

Debt will always go up. It's not always a bad thing - even more so when interest rates are at their historical lows. 
People quote the national debt figure because it looks bigger & better in headlines and makes people go 'ooh wow look at that big number'. So use that to bash the government, whilst the government will quote the deficit figure (which had fallen a lot between 2010 to 2019 which was the purpose of austerity) to sing their own praises.
The deficit is the problem - the difference between government income and spending. This is likely to rocket when the 2020 figures come to pass (and projections already forecast) which isn't good and is also a reason for them not wanting to continue furlough and bailing out the economy. 

That’s the point though- the deficit will go right back down the next year as they won’t have to pay for furlough. So none of these one off, emergency coronavirus measures will have much impact on the deficit at all. That’s why they’re not a big issue compared to any sort of ongoing funding.

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

At the very least it’s crucially important that outdoor exercise rules are reset to May levels (unlimited) and not March levels (one form of exercise per day, up to an hour). 

That was never actually in law anyway. The once a day was guidance, the one hour was just some interpretation.

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Coventry moving into tier 2 

It’s a weird place- likely lasted this long as people don’t tend to go out in the city Centre at night anyway, so it’s a bit more dispersed. But with the unis back is probably inevitable.

• Upvote 1

As someone who works in hospitality, I have no idea how any bar is still operating in a Tier2/3 area. Since the 10pm and table service rules came in our weekly take has halved, which is completely unsustainable. Expect a lot of independents to close in the coming weeks!

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

That’s the point though- the deficit will go right back down the next year as they won’t have to pay for furlough. So none of these one off, emergency coronavirus measures will have much impact on the deficit at all. That’s why they’re not a big issue compared to any sort of ongoing funding.

That was never actually in law anyway. The once a day was guidance, the one hour was just some interpretation.

It’s a weird place- likely lasted this long as people don’t tend to go out in the city Centre at night anyway, so it’s a bit more dispersed. But with the unis back is probably inevitable.

Coventry is at 150 cases per 100k, in a population or 425k. It's numbers were fairly high at times during the initial phases of the pandemic back in March and April. It was a surprise its moved up a Tier yesterday - but then again they needed to moved somewhere into Tier Two from Tier One to see if Tier Two does anything. 

I keep an eye on Coventry as it's where I was brought up, and where my family and school friends still live. 

7 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Going to have to eat a lot of food to be able to get a good skin full.

I emailed my local MP last night to express my disgust at her voting against Free School Meals (the MP for my weekday address as that’s where I’m registered to vote). If anyone would like me to post my email, please let me know. 

I have woken up angry today. 

• Like 1