When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just catching up with PMQs. Nice to see my MP in the house! Rupa Huq.

Sadiq bashing was interesting. Is that just because he has Boris' old job and so Boris feels a particular resentment about the way he runs things now? Or is he laying the groundwork and setting the tone for some tough negotiations on London?

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

12 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I only suggest you have been taken by tory rhetoric, Because you were talking about Keir and Labour through the lens of having to answer Boris Johnson's statements in PMQs and also stating the same rhetoric, that Labour are point scoring and the government should just work together, when it is mostly down to the tories that there isnt a bipartisan response to covid

Im only suggesting that because I don’t know where the strong calls from Kier for a circuit breaker are coming from - as far as I’m aware it’s not something that science is massively suggesting would have a huge impact is it (for the country as a whole)? I know we’ve missed the boat in regards to timings for this and it should have been done in early September if we were going to do this. 

So I'm just questioning whether his strong stance could be more party politics and point scoring based, because he now has this in his back pocket if/when deaths rise rapidly. But it is fairly easy for him to suggest this circuit breaker without having to fully go into details e.g. costings, timings etc. 

But just so we’re clear here - Boris and the Tories are a complete shambles!

Just now, st dan said:

Im only suggesting that because I don’t know where the strong calls from Kier for a circuit breaker are coming from - as far as I’m aware it’s not something that science is massively suggesting would have a huge impact is it (for the country as a whole)? I know we’ve missed the boat in regards to timings for this and it should have been done in early September if we were going to do this. 

So I'm just questioning whether his strong stance could be more party politics and point scoring based, because he now has this in his back pocket if/when deaths rise rapidly. But it is fairly easy for him to suggest this circuit breaker without having to fully go into details e.g. costings, timings etc. 

Sage suggested it...but that was back in September. I think Starmer was under some pressure to come up with what he'd do differently instead of just criticising the government...so he did, and why not? Maybe he would say differently if govt had followed sage advice back then...but, that's politics.

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

The Government scientists ? and thats the point hes been making ... and JVT yesterday said that the best time to do a circuit break was with lower numbers 

Edited by crazyfool1

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Well I disagree. The gov scientists have repeatedly said that its not too late circuit breaker. Except JVT the other day. However the idea behind a circuit breaker would be to give extra time before the virus get unstoppably out of control and to curb the necessity for a full lockdown for month. 

He has shared science and financial plans relating to circuit breakers. Anelise Dodds has released statements about why a circuit breaker could cost less than the pussy footing regional approach.

I hink a regional approach could work FYI, but not with such damp useless measures, that just ruin businesses and people's live without having significant effect on the virus. - But if it's too late for a circuit breaker to work than its deffo too late for these tiers to work at all

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Just catching up with PMQs. Nice to see my MP in the house! Rupa Huq.

Sadiq bashing was interesting. Is that just because he has Boris' old job and so Boris feels a particular resentment about the way he runs things now? Or is he laying the groundwork and setting the tone for some tough negotiations on London?

Absolutely no need for tier 3 restrictions on London any time soon. The areas that are in tier 3 are running at triple the covid prevalence of London and you’ve got the North East, Nottingham and bits of the West Midlands that are in tier 2 and doing a lot worse than London.

Now, if infections continue to double every couple of weeks in the capital then you could foresee a scenario where tier 3 is needed in a month or so. You’d hope though that being in tier 2 would actually slow that doubling time. 

My sister and family live in Perth and you're right, no restrictions there as there is no covid (apart from a ship that is/was docked and they wouldn't let anyone off as they had the virus.

The issue they have is, nobody is allowed in and out of Perth, the borders are shut, which makes sense.

She mentioned a young girl that stowed away in a lorry to get into Perth and she caught and jailed!! 

19 minutes ago, The Dawg said:

My sister and family live in Perth and you're right, no restrictions there as there is no covid (apart from a ship that is/was docked and they wouldn't let anyone off as they had the virus.

The issue they have is, nobody is allowed in and out of Perth, the borders are shut, which makes sense.

She mentioned a young girl that stowed away in a lorry to get into Perth and she caught and jailed!! 

Maybe they'll make a film one day...Escape from Perth...starring Kurt Russell.

Just now, Ozanne said:

Get in there Sadiq. 

It's so annoying, there should be common place fact checking at PMQs. - It doesn't matter what Sadiq Khan says now people will only believe he is responsible for london debt and will continue to attack him on it, despite it being the governments fault.

We can't just sit back and let them get away with it. What can we do at this point though, usually a MP or Minister's party will hold them to account if they do wrong, but we have entered times were no one has to lose their job in parliament for insane incompetence while everyone else in the country loses their jobs due to government mistakes

2 hours ago, st dan said:

His main defence was that Starmer wants the nationwide circuit breaker lockdown, whilst at the same time is criticising the economic packages for those in Tier 3. He’s clearly angling for a return of the 80% furlough scheme whilst we have a full lockdown again, but it’s quite apparent that isn’t going to happen, mainly because we simply can’t afford it to. 

We can afford it. The Furlough scheme has cost £39 billion to date. A short-term furlough scheme for a short-term circuit break lockdown is easily possible. The fact is, with the way governments work, the national debt goes up every year anyway. This decade of austerity did nothing but decrease the speed our debt went up. They can borrow more, and it's an investment in keeping the economy going and making sure it can recover as a vaccine comes in and things start to go back to normal.

I've had sympathy for the government position that the furlough scheme couldn't continue indefinitely - I do think there's a point where it would even become unfair for people to be paid 80% of their wage to do nothing for over a year, while normally when you lose your job you get nothing. But for a set period of time, where the costs would be mostly known, and maybe even in a way that protected the 80% for those on minimum wage but tapered a bit more severely for those on more I'd be hugely in favour of, and we can certainly afford it. 

Or you know, they could not be Tories and tax people who are still in work an extra 1% corona tax in order to pay for furlough and enhanced redundancy payments for those that have lost their jobs. I don't think many people would object to that at all because very few of us are in jobs that 100% safe right now, and there's a good chance we'd know we might need that fund in the near future.