When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

I agree with you there, it is a strange format. But at the same time, you can’t allow Kier to have free reign to ask whatever ambiguous questions he wants without some response back from Boris back. 
And this isn’t me backing the Tories in any way at all - just think that it’s easy to suggest a counter to the current Tier approach, but you should be asked to explain what/how/why etc. 

Keir has explained why they are proposing a circuit breaker, he has explained it during PMQs before and even gave reasons for it today. It is a short sharp shock, that has an end date and could have dramatic effect on saving time to get track and trace up and running, these are all things that have been said by Keir, Labour and many scientists over the weeks and in PMQs. 

Boris Johnson's criticisms of the circuit breaker are all baseless fantasies he has cooked up to make it sound bad. - Like "wheres the exit strategy". It's literally a finite strategy with a end goal built in. "he wants to close schools" - Keir said literally the opposite. 

Keir might be to optimistic than the general public are smart enough to see through Boris lies. But I doubt the general public is watching PMQs. Most people with half a braincell can see Boris is lying constantly, repeating himself and not answering questions. 

Maybe if boris answered his questions, Keir would be more willing to address Boris deflections. But that's what they are deflections, you can't answer a deflection else the opponent will know they work. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, swede said:

We've got a way to go with the Graves disease im afraid. 

I understand gyms spacing out fitness classes but the HIIT i usually go to is a private fitness academy, thats all they do, I see the videos they put online each day and just shake my head. I know they havent had a single case yet but it just looks a recipe for disaster to me. 

Yes sorry, I don't know anything about Graves disease, but I meant recovering from that flu bug at least.

And yeah I get where you're coming from. If I didn't feel my gym was spacing people out properly I wouldn't be going back either.

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Someone sent this to a WhatsApp group earlier. Maths isn't my forte - but for this to be true, if we've had say 45,000 (approx) deaths in the UK so far, shouldn't we have been hit by around 70,000 asteroids since the beginning of the p andemic? 

d9668aa1-92a6-4dfc-9673-c9907afdf5f9.jpg

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/10/16/fact-check-chances-nov-2-asteroid-strike-less-than-covid-death/3679429001/

tldr: people are bad with statistics/numbers

Edited by thrillhouse188
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Keir has explained why they are proposing a circuit breaker, he has explained it during PMQs before and even gave reasons for it today. It is a short sharp shock, that has an end date and could have dramatic effect on saving time to get track and trace up and running, these are all things that have been said by Keir, Labour and many scientists over the weeks and in PMQs. 

Boris Johnson's criticisms of the circuit breaker are all baseless fantasies he has cooked up to make it sound bad. - Like "wheres the exit strategy". It's literally a finite strategy with a end goal built in. "he wants to close schools" - Keir said literally the opposite. 

Keir might be to optimistic than the general public are smart enough to see through Boris lies. But I doubt the general public is watching PMQs. Most people with half a braincell can see Boris is lying constantly, repeating himself and not answering questions. 

Maybe if boris answered his questions, Keir would be more willing to address Boris deflections. But that's what they are deflections, you can't answer a deflection else the opponent will know they work. 

But this is where party politics probably comes ahead of the interest of the nation. If Boris was angling for another lockdown, would Kier be suggesting a more localised Tier approach? Who knows, but I wouldn’t rule it out. 
The constant fighting should be put aside to come together to guide us through this mess. There can be elements taken from both parties approaches that would be in the best interest of all. 

17 minutes ago, Homer said:

Someone sent this to a WhatsApp group earlier. Maths isn't my forte - but for this to be true, if we've had say 45,000 (approx) deaths in the UK so far, shouldn't we have been hit by around 70,000 asteroids since the beginning of the p andemic? 

d9668aa1-92a6-4dfc-9673-c9907afdf5f9.jpg

Actually it is common for the planet to be hit with an asteroid, they are normally small and get burnt up so it's not an impact event but both sets of those numbers look like made up shit.

Edited by jump

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Actually it is common for the planet to be hit with an asteroid, they are normally small and get burnt up so it's not an impact event but both sets of those numbers look like made up shit.

There’s actually a fairly big one that could be hitting just before the US election. 

43 minutes ago, st dan said:

His main defence was that Starmer wants the nationwide circuit breaker lockdown, whilst at the same time is criticising the economic packages for those in Tier 3. He’s clearly angling for a return of the 80% furlough scheme whilst we have a full lockdown again, but it’s quite apparent that isn’t going to happen, mainly because we simply can’t afford it to. 

can't we? We can just borrow more can't we?

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

But this is where party politics probably comes ahead of the interest of the nation. If Boris was angling for another lockdown, would Kier be suggesting a more localised Tier approach? Who knows, but I wouldn’t rule it out. 
The constant fighting should be put aside to come together to guide us through this mess. There can be elements taken from both parties approaches that would be in the best interest of all. 

I'm sorry but you have clearly fallen for the tory rhetoric. 

Keir Starmer and Labour have consistently supported the government measures throughout the lockdown. They criticize them when there is things that don't make sense, like the 10m curfew, but they were always wanting to put differences aside and support lockdown and restrictions 

The govenrment and opposition should put their difference aside and work together. - But the tory idea of working together is do whatever we say with unwavering support or we'll crush you. 

If Keir puts forth support for government restrictions but criticizes an aspect of them, like supporting stricter measure but understanding more financial support is needed. The the government accuses them of U-turning and not supporting the government. When in fact the Tories are the ones literally U-turning on policies because they are incompetent and refusing to work constructively with Labour, Scotland, The North, The EU. Torys dont know how to work together during a national crisis, because they are only know how to play political games in order to increase their wallet size. It's why when asked if they are going to extend furlough, they point how effective and generous furlough is. "We've already given this much for bla bla" as to win political points on schemes and funding that are ending or left millions to fend for themselves are generous. 

At the end of the day, its the oppositions job to oppose the government, I don't believe that they are simply doing it for political reasons, because they waited for the government to ignore their own scientists before they dropped support. Labour actually seem to care about the science and implications of lockdown. Boris just says he does for points. 

3 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I'm sorry but you have clearly fallen for the tory rhetoric. 

Keir Starmer and Labour have consistently supported the government measures throughout the lockdown. They criticize them when there is things that don't make sense, like the 10m curfew, but they were always wanting to put differences aside and support lockdown and restrictions 

The govenrment and opposition should put their difference aside and work together. - But the tory idea of working together is do whatever we say with unwavering support or we'll crush you. 

If Keir puts forth support for government restrictions but criticizes an aspect of them, like supporting stricter measure but understanding more financial support is needed. The the government accuses them of U-turning and not supporting the government. When in fact the Tories are the ones literally U-turning on policies because they are incompetent and refusing to work constructively with Labour, Scotland, The North, The EU. Torys dont know how to work together during a national crisis, because they are only know how to play political games in order to increase their wallet size. It's why when asked if they are going to extend furlough, they point how effective and generous furlough is. "We've already given this much for bla bla" as to win political points on schemes and funding that are ending or left millions to fend for themselves are generous. 

At the end of the day, its the oppositions job to oppose the government, I don't believe that they are simply doing it for political reasons, because they waited for the government to ignore their own scientists before they dropped support. Labour actually seem to care about the science and implications of lockdown. Boris just says he does for points. 

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

Just now, st dan said:

Are any other countries around the world in a full scale lockdown right now? To the levels we saw in the Spring? 
If it was purely the only solution and was fully backed by the science, then why hasn’t the approach been adopted around the globe? The obvious reason is due to the economic impacts to all of this. The Tories have obviously handled this terribly, but I don’t think the solution is simply just another short term full lockdown.

Wales are.  New Zealand was.  Part of Australia has just come out of it.

30 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes sorry, I don't know anything about Graves disease, but I meant recovering from that flu bug at least.

And yeah I get where you're coming from. If I didn't feel my gym was spacing people out properly I wouldn't be going back either.

Thanks appreciate that, shes not 100% but back at work, just knackered in an evening. 

3 minutes ago, st dan said:

Australia just emerging from one as they have started to exit the winter 

2 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Wales are.  New Zealand was.  Part of Australia has just come out of it.

and Ireland?

But, countries we're most similar to in Europe aren't doing the lockdown thing either..trying to keep it local/regional.

I'm not sure which is worse economically, local Tier3 restrictions that last for months, or a 2 to 3 week full national lockdown? Trouble with the circuit break thing is when to exit it, and what restrictions to have in place when do exit.

No easy answers to any of it. If Tier3 doesn't work then Starmer can do the told you so thing...but Whitty did say Tier3 restrictions probably wouldn't be enough and local leaders would have to put in other measures to bring numbers down.

59 minutes ago, st dan said:

His main defence was that Starmer wants the nationwide circuit breaker lockdown, whilst at the same time is criticising the economic packages for those in Tier 3. He’s clearly angling for a return of the 80% furlough scheme whilst we have a full lockdown again, but it’s quite apparent that isn’t going to happen, mainly because the Tories have decided they don't want to spend the money. 

Fixed

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

That’s the point, it’s only needed now because of the Tories miss-management through the summer. So because they did muck it up Starmer and SAGE are calling for a shorter lockdown so we can fix those mistakes. Starmer wouldn’t need to call for another lockdown if Johnson hadn’t cocked it all up again. 

5 minutes ago, st dan said:

CIRCUIT BREAKERS have been used across the world. In Australia, New Zealand, South Korea a return to lockdown or quick lockdown have been used to curb the virus when infection rates have gone up.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coronavirus-circuit-breaker-lockdown-uk-singapore-israel-new-zealand-keir-starmer-b1032283.html
Some more examples here, aswell as the most obvious examples: Ireland and Wales and Scotland,

A circuit breaker isn't a return to the full strict measures of march and nor are people suggesting that, it's damn close to those measures, but the it could save us from HAVING to go into lockdown when the govenrment fuck up royally as they alway do. 

I only suggest you have been taken by tory rhetoric, Because you were talking about Keir and Labour through the lens of having to answer Boris Johnson's statements in PMQs and also stating the same rhetoric, that Labour are point scoring and the government should just work together, when it is mostly down to the tories that there isnt a bipartisan response to covid

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

That was localised to Victoria wasn’t it? So no different to the Tiered approaches in the NW. 

no it was a full lockdown ...9pm  curfew , shops closed , police on streets so entirely different and yes it was Victoria 

Edited by crazyfool1

Just now, crazyfool1 said:

no it was a full lockdown ...9pm  curfew , shops closed , police on streets so entirely different 

My sister & bro in law live in Perth and they've barely seen a restriction.

They even attended an Oktoberfest style event this weekend and there's certainly no social distancing going on anywhere.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My sister & bro in law live in Perth and they've barely seen a restriction.

They even attended an Oktoberfest style event this weekend and there's certainly no social distancing going on anywhere.

See edit ... thats western Austria I think 

Edited by crazyfool1

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

See edit ... western Austria I think 

:D

It's crazy when we speak to them on facetime and they've been doing whatever they like when we're under restrictions here.

They have a 50% capacity limit on their major stadiums and venues at the moment so at the Optus (the biggest) they can have 35,000 people for a music event.

Definitely makes you realise how far away from that sort of thing we are!

It's possible that all remaining restrictions (if you can even call them that) apart from the hard border will be removed by the end of this week as well. So back up to 100% capacity at all venues!

Edited by JoeyT

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

It's crazy when we speak to them on facetime and they've been doing whatever they like when we're under restrictions here.

They have a 50% capacity limit on their major stadiums and venues at the moment so at the Optus (the biggest) they can have 35,000 people for a music event.

Might be down to the fact they've 905 deaths for the entire country?

Just now, JoeyT said:

even the differences between that country .... mind you flying over it was incredible the size of it , even in Germany and France they have lots bigger gatherings than here .. although that may now have changed .... sport was open to limited crowds i  think in germany ,,,