When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Well yeah, but mitigating it by worsening obesity wasn’t the right way to go about it. People have spent years working on their immune systems and as a result these people are in really good shape to win their personal battle against covid as and when they fight it, but it would be heinous to deny the future battlers of Covid-29 or Covid-39 the chance to build up the necessary immune systems to defeat those pandemics (which may be more aggressive than the current one lest we forget) 

Arguing for or against closing gyms is fine, and based on what I've read (obviously not exhaustive) there seem to be more arguments for keeping them open right now than keeping them closed. 

But the country's obesity and fitness problems have been years in the making through changes in diet, lifestyle, attitudes, education and all the rest of it.  Gyms have been open all that time and haven't exactly been a wonder cure.  Arguing that closing them now is going to suddenly cause or worsen that problem just doesn't hold up.  

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

The idea is the 3%-4% of people who “get really ill or die” from covid are shielding anyway. Btw, I’m talking about combining shielding with things like working from home and the rule of 6 for the remaining 96%-97% to try and keep the R number down. I’m not suggesting that we lock a few vulnerable folk away and let the virus run rampant. But we can keep deaths down and still have shreds of normality without a total lockdown IMO. 

In a sensible world we could. If people were capable of meeting up with friends and family and actually continuing to social distance but looking at my social media it just doesn't happen. I have seen 3 different couples drunkenly singing in a caravan all sat right beside each other and these people believe they are following the rules. I know this because they are constantly saying why can't people just follow the rules!! 

I've seen people demonstrating that they are 1 metre apart by holding hands. I saw someone on their birthday take photos with at least 20 different people and in most of these photos they weren't 1 metre apart. I have seen a big group shot of people smiling literally cheek to cheek after doing a sweaty crossfit session so yes I think people are by and large incapable of following the rules in the manner that they need to. 

Just now, Quark said:

Arguing for or against closing gyms is fine, and based on what I've read (obviously not exhaustive) there seem to be more arguments for keeping them open right now than keeping them closed. 

But the country's obesity and fitness problems have been years in the making through changes in diet, lifestyle, attitudes, education and all the rest of it.  Gyms have been open all that time and haven't exactly been a wonder cure.  Arguing that closing them now is going to suddenly cause or worsen that problem just doesn't hold up.  

I know lots of people who have done couch to 5km in lockdown and keep fit YouTube videos they didn’t have time for before due to commuting to work. Not sure lockdown makes you fat?

The debate over ‘Shielding’ is going to come up because, while a bit of a misnomer, there is rightly debate over how what we’re doing is balanced.

What’s the strategy? If the idea is stringent restrictions until there’s a Vaccine, and that happens in the next few months, fine. Might get away with it. However if the latter doesn’t happen we will need a plan B. The current situation is unsustainable. Better to form a plan than let things completely spiral out of control.

1 minute ago, morph100 said:

I know lots of people who have done couch to 5km in lockdown and keep fit YouTube videos they didn’t have time for before due to commuting to work. Not sure lockdown makes you fat?

Kind of my point dude :)

About 70% of the people I know put on Weight this year. Plus there’s the Mental Health benefits many take from going to the gym.

3 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

In a sensible world we could. If people were capable of meeting up with friends and family and actually continuing to social distance but looking at my social media it just doesn't happen. I have seen 3 different couples drunkenly singing in a caravan all sat right beside each other and these people believe they are following the rules. I know this because they are constantly saying why can't people just follow the rules!! 

I've seen people demonstrating that they are 1 metre apart by holding hands. I saw someone on their birthday take photos with at least 20 different people and in most of these photos they weren't 1 metre apart. I have seen a big group shot of people smiling literally cheek to cheek after doing a sweaty crossfit session so yes I think people are by and large incapable of following the rules in the manner that they need to. 

Yet behind those pictures there will be loads of people following the rules best they can. The Catch-22 is by constantly tightening the rules you punish the Compliant ones and push them away. 

22 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

People have spent years working on their immune systems and as a result these people are in really good shape to win their personal battle against covid as and when they fight it,

It really feels like you think those who get unwell somehow deserve it.

Oh it certainly has made me fat but I think this is the over simplistic way people have of looking at it. A lot of people assume the way they or a majority experience lockdown is the same for everyone. A lot of people had a huge furlough period and the assumption was everyone was bored and had time to do whatever they wanted. For me it's been the busiest work year of my entire working life. I've not been able to go to the gym. One of my dogs has been so frightened by clap for carers etc that we have gone from walking her twice a day to about twice a week (although we try every day) The walks she's willing to do are much smaller than ones we did in the past. We've really struggled to find places quiet enough for her. 

I think I like to think of it like this we are all in the same storm but not in the same boat and some have huge yachts, others barely a raft and most somewhere in between. Some are lucky with support network but not with money. Others doing fine financially but struggling with mental health. We're all experiencing it differently and just our personality type can effect how well we can handle it which is why I am trying my best to empathise with people in all their different situations. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The idea is the 3%-4% of people who “get really ill or die” from covid are shielding anyway. Btw, I’m talking about combining shielding with things like working from home and the rule of 6 for the remaining 96%-97% to try and keep the R number down. I’m not suggesting that we lock a few vulnerable folk away and let the virus run rampant. But we can keep deaths down and still have shreds of normality without a total lockdown IMO. 

But those are the sort of restrictions most of the country has has for the past three months and in most cities the virus is already more rampant than an Ann Summers special.

I get what you want. You want tier 1 restrictions and for people to follow the rules properly so the R number stays low. I want that too, but you gotta admit it's not working?

4 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

About 70% of the people I know put on Weight this year. Plus there’s the Mental Health benefits many take from going to the gym.

Don't get me wrong I'm of the opinion that there are plenty of reasons why gyms should stay open, based on what seems to be the evidence for transmission of the virus when balanced against all the other benefits.  I'm loving being able to get back in once a week!

My point is just that it's a bit of stretch to imagine that closing gyms is going to suddenly reverse a non-existent trend toward defeating obesity in the UK and doom everyone to weak immune systems.

6 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Yet behind those pictures there will be loads of people following the rules best they can. The Catch-22 is by constantly tightening the rules you punish the Compliant ones and push them away. 

Yes I totally agree and to be honest I have every sympathy for a lot of those people I know the reasons why some of them would feel the need to do what they have done. It just irritates me slightly that some of them constantly complain about young people when actually I think this pandemic has been hardest on them. I can't imagine how much worse my whole life could have been if I hadn't gotten to meet the friends etc I had in my uni years. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

I think I like to think of it like this we are all in the same storm but not in the same boat and some have huge yachts, others barely a raft and most somewhere in between. Some are lucky with support network but not with money. Others doing fine financially but struggling with mental health. We're all experiencing it differently and just our personality type can effect how well we can handle it which is why I am trying my best to empathise with people in all their different situations. 

Very much this GP.  Me and Mrs Q made sure that we got out as much as we could during the summer, exactly because we are part of that lucky group that isn't facing 90% of the hardships that a lot of people have been and we felt it was really important to make as much as we can of the opportunities we've got. 

Sounds a wee bit w*nky I know, but it would have felt...wrong...to be in that position and not make use of it.

1 hour ago, Ozanne said:

It was always apparently on the table, Johnson just never explicitly stated it even though he was asked 5 times. Hancock had to clarify it in the Commons later in the evening. 

Yeah, not sure why he didn't...would have helped to kill the story. Thought Johnson was supposed to be a canny politician.

2 hours ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Wonder what Dan Jarvis and the leaders have accepted. Couple of million and a repaint of the Dickie Bird statue?

I don't know enough about Dan Jarvis to know what stance he'll take but I'm sure Magid would've gone down the Andy Burnham path (for right or wrong I'm not sure). I think politics needs more of this type of honesty.