When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

No even my family who are local haven't been able to visit him in hospital since he got his diagnosis. They can drop stuff out to him but not go in. 

There are grounds for compassionate travel and visits in these circumstances.   There will be an opportunity I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

No even my family who are local haven't been able to visit him in hospital since he got his diagnosis. They can drop stuff out to him but not go in. 

Really sorry to hear your news. I'm guessing these decisions are made by individual hospitals when it comes to visitation rules? I only say that because my friend with cancer was hospitalised at the weekend (out now thankfully) but her husband was allowed to visit on the second or third day. They do have Covid patients there, but kept very separate from cancer wards for obvious reasons.

No idea if that's the norm or not, just mentioning as it's clearly not beyond the realms of possibility that people on cancer wards can have visitors at the moment. If it's Ireland maybe that's different?

Really hope you do get to see him.

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Really sorry to hear your news. I'm guessing these decisions are made by individual hospitals when it comes to visitation rules? I only say that because my friend with cancer was hospitalised at the weekend (out now thankfully) but her husband was allowed to visit on the second or third day. They do have Covid patients there, but kept very separate from cancer wards for obvious reasons.

No idea if that's the norm or not, just mentioning as it's clearly not beyond the realms of possibility that people on cancer wards can have visitors at the moment. If it's Ireland maybe that's different?

Really hope you do get to see him.

Perhaps they would let spouses but my brother doesn't have a spouse? My niece and sister are the closest relatives nearby. I'll be honest everyone has been in a flap since Thursday when I got the news and none of them are the most reliable with information. I do have a bit of medical knowledge as I worked for Bupa for many years so have asked them to tell my brother to give them permission to talk to me once they have the results so I can find out what to do for the best. We're not the closest family in the world and I generally only ever hear from them when there is a crisis that needs my help. There's a 10 year age gap between my brother and I and I left home so long ago and he's not great at keeping in touch so don't really hear from him a lot but we always get along well when we are together. 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

Perhaps they would let spouses but my brother doesn't have a spouse? My niece and sister are the closest relatives nearby. I'll be honest everyone has been in a flap since Thursday when I got the news and none of them are the most reliable with information. I do have a bit of medical knowledge as I worked for Bupa for many years so have asked them to tell my brother to give them permission to talk to me once they have the results so I can find out what to do for the best. We're not the closest family in the world and I generally only ever hear from them when there is a crisis that needs my help. There's a 10 year age gap between my brother and I and I left home so long ago and he's not great at keeping in touch so don't really hear from him a lot but we always get along well when we are together. 

Ah that could be it. I've no idea what normal visiting rules would be either, but must admit I was a bit surprised they let him in as he is not allowed to go with her to any appointments or anything. 

I hope you can get some information at least. I know how hard it is to not know what is going on in situations like this.

4 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ah that could be it. I've no idea what normal visiting rules would be either, but must admit I was a bit surprised they let him in as he is not allowed to go with her to any appointments or anything. 

I hope you can get some information at least. I know how hard it is to not know what is going on in situations like this.

Yes I'm much better at doing the practical things. Just sitting waiting for information is hellish especially as my sister and niece are terrible at asking questions. 

57 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Perhaps but I know more people who have died of newly diagnosed cancer this year than covid. My own brother was given a cancer diagnosis on Thursday which they also think is terminal. We are awaiting on the results of a CT scan to confirm if he has any hope. 

oh man, so sorry to hear that. Hope results are better than expected.

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Cases are rising now within the wider community and within towns/suburbs so we'll see this gradually rise until further actions are taken I think.

Yep ... don’t think we will get much of a drop either ... the numbers already seem like they are in the system unless we take further measures ... 

3 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yep ... don’t think we will get much of a drop either ... the numbers already seem like they are in the system unless we take further measures ... 

I think so, especially as the colder weather draws in and people are inside more and more. I think we'll be in a circuit breaker lockdown sooner rather than later but whether that does enough as we have left it late remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think so, especially as the colder weather draws in and people are inside more and more. I think we'll be in a circuit breaker lockdown sooner rather than later but whether that does enough as we have left it late remains to be seen.

Politically makes much more sense to do the circuit breaker next week when the schools are closed anyway. If he delays it into November then he'd be faced with an embarrassing climbdown and having to close the school for two weeks anyway.

I suspect we might see a compromise on schools in the end where primary schools stay fully open and secondaries move to a blended learning model.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I think we'll be in a circuit breaker lockdown sooner rather than later but whether that does enough as we have left it late remains to be seen.

The logical time would be the next 2 weeks as it would have minimal impact on children's learning due to half terms which they seem to be worried about, I can see them trying to get them lower for December as i think they'll be adamant for some normality by then so I could see it within the next month - I think they will need to assure people it's a 2-3 week measure as people wouldn't comply if they just kept adding weeks on

Edited by Chapple12345

3 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

The logical time would be the next 2 weeks as it would have minimal impact on children's learning due to half terms which they seem to be worried about, I can see them trying to get them lower for December as i think they'll be adamant for some normality by then so I could see it within the next month - I think they will need to assure people it's a 2-3 week measure as people wouldn't comply if they just kept adding weeks on

I wonder if now might be a smidgeon too early to circuit break to ensure normality by christmas?

Alex Andreou on twitter was suggesting a rolling cycle of 3 week full lockdowns followed by 10 weeks of less stringent restrictions (perhaps in line with Tier 1) until the pandemic is over. This would tie in line with how long it takes the exponential curve to kick off, 10 weeks of normality is affordable without overwhelming the NHS, with 3 weeks to break the circuit and drive cases down. Having the 4 annual lockdowns on pre-determined weeks would allow everyone to prepare for them as well. It's not a bad idea IMHO.

I'm sorry to go on about this again but there won't be any normality at Christmas, certainly what we are used too. I think the sooner we as a society get used to that idea the better. If people are expecting to be able to go round all the houses they normally do and have the normal large family gathering then I would imagine they are going to be disappointed. The rules might be relaxed slightly in some areas but that might not be the right course of action. That's what I think the PM should be doing, preparing people for this outcome.

I'm sorry to be all doom and gloom especially with something like Christmas but there won't be normality for this year I'm afraid.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I wonder if now might be a smidgeon too early to circuit break to ensure normality by christmas?

Alex Andreou on twitter was suggesting a rolling cycle of 3 week full lockdowns followed by 10 weeks of less stringent restrictions (perhaps in line with Tier 1) until the pandemic is over. This would tie in line with how long it takes the exponential curve to kick off, 10 weeks of normality is affordable without overwhelming the NHS, with 3 weeks to break the circuit and drive cases down. Having the 4 annual lockdowns on pre-determined weeks would allow everyone to prepare for them as well. It's not a bad idea IMHO.

Well it’s 10 weeks untill xmas so 2 /3 weeks now would also cover new year celebrations and then lockdown again in quietest period of year ... apart from gyms ... 

2 hours ago, Copperface said:

In dodgy territory when we start taking anything that discredited "Prof" Karol Sikora says seriously. That's doubled down by being published in the Speccy. Hard right funded loon and very right leaning journal is not a good mix.

Why do you put prof in quotation marks? Is he no longer a professor? How has he been discredited?

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

Well it’s 10 weeks untill xmas so 2 /3 weeks now would also cover new year celebrations and then lockdown again in quietest period of year ... apart from gyms ... 

True, but I'm not sure we want cases to be at the end of the upwards curve right at the point of Christmas/New Year celebrations. If so, the third wave in January could be when the NHS finally breaks. Some kind of circuit break in early December may make sense in order to buy some maneuvering room over the busy period.

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

I'm sorry to go on about this again but there won't be any normality at Christmas, certainly what we are used too. I think the sooner we as a society get used to that idea the better. If people are expecting to be able to go round all the houses they normally do and have the normal large family gathering then I would imagine they are going to be disappointed. The rules might be relaxed slightly in some areas but that might not be the right course of action. That's what I think the PM should be doing, preparing people for this outcome.

I'm sorry to be all doom and gloom especially with something like Christmas but there won't be normality for this year I'm afraid.

I don't think there will be either, but we know the government will sure as hell try to make it happe

My family have been prepping for different scenarios as you have mentioned so I agree they need to try and get the idea across it may not happen as usual 

6 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

By relaxations over Christmas, I mean groups of 10-12 maximum. Not massive parties.