When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 hours ago, gizmoman said:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

I can't see any exponential growth here, am I missing something?

You got me on that one - I took a very quick glance at the numbers which appeared to be accelerating, but on closer inspection, the growth in cases appears to have been linear over the last few weeks, not exponential.

Still growing though.

3 minutes ago, BobWillis said:

What this story fails to mention is that the occupancy levels are the same as they always are in October. More fear mongering. 

That’s correct ... but with increasing admissions of covid ... when things are already tight over winter ❄️ 

Edited by crazyfool1

1 minute ago, BobWillis said:

What this story fails to mention is that the occupancy levels are the same as they always are in October. More fear mongering. 

Yep, it certainly appears to be fear mongering headlines as always.
I know this because my wife works in a hospital and they originally assign x number of beds for COVID patients - and when they are taken up, the press then report that these are now full and capacity has been reached. When in reality they have a lot more beds available if required - her hospital now has 3 designated COVID only wards which they have more than enough capacity to deal with at the moment. It’s an ever changing situation and those in power at the trust have this under control. 
This may change in the coming weeks and months of course, but it’s not like people are lying on the floors in corridors as it would appear if you read the papers. This is where the non essential operations being cancelled comes into play (e.g. knees/hips) as they may need to reshuffle the hospital around if more COVID only wards are required. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, st dan said:

Yep, it certainly appears to be fear mongering headlines as always.
I know this because my wife works in a hospital and they originally assign x number of beds for COVID patients - and when they are taken up, the press then report that these are now full and capacity has been reached. When in reality they have a lot more beds available if required - her hospital now has 3 designated COVID only wards which they have more than enough capacity to deal with at the moment. It’s an ever changing situation and those in power at the trust have this under control. 
This may change in the coming weeks and months of course, but it’s not like people are lying on the floors in corridors as it would appear if you read the papers. This is where the non essential operations being cancelled comes into play (e.g. knees/hips) as they may need to reshuffle the hospital around if more COVID only wards are required. 

I think point is due to lag times any restrictions now will not have an affect for another few weeks...and don't want to get to case where all beds are used up with covid (and flu) patients.

I’ve just got the letter through for my next hospital visit. The last couple of consultations have been done over the phone. 

This one is in person again so they must have the Leeds hospital situation under control otherwise they wouldn’t want me in the building. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve just got the letter through for my next hospital visit. The last couple of consultations have been done over the phone. 

This one is in person again so they must have the Leeds hospital situation under control otherwise they wouldn’t want me in the building. 

That’s encouraging news for sure 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

Good news ... although the online consultations have been adequate for me ... I don’t quite feel the care is there 100% I thought there might have been a timer on the screen and they were rushed trying to get through the consultation... obviously and not surprisingly due to backlog built up ... hope it goes ok 

6 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

So whats the deal if they do get the 100 million, will the people on 66 percent of their wage get some of it. Or will it just end up going to businesses?

Isn't it gonna end up costing more for the government to bribe every tier 3 place. Why not just improve the financial package?

Exactly, why would any other area agree to tier 3 when they know if they hold out they'll get tens of millions like Lancashire and Manchester. Plus Liverpool will be right to query why they got punished by going into lockdown without trying to get more money. It's mind numbing how the government is so clueless about everything. I mean, surely they now have to concede whatever extra's they throw at Manchester, is given to every place that goes Tier 3?

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

That's good - that's what they want, to keep hospitals open for non covid too, unlike last time.

...and this in a nutshell is pretty much why we are where we are...

image.png.b3650b6f971003776c70c04d8bd5f15b.png

One case (index case is the black dot), 56 others infected. Went on holidays, didn't restrict movements on return (had a runny nose and a sore throat, but thought this was grand), infected his mates as he went out the night he came home, who in turn infected their own households. Went on to infect his extended family, some of whom infected a number of teammates on their local sports team who then went on to infect their extended families. Worst example is the red dot in the top left corner of the cluster with the index case. She felt unwell, went for a test in the morning, felt a bit better by the afternoon so went to a party that night while waiting for her test results and infected a bunch more (test came back positive the next morning).  Anyway, the case study above gives you a good example of what we are dealing with!

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

Exactly, why would any other area agree to tier 3 when they know if they hold out they'll get tens of millions like Lancashire and Manchester. Plus Liverpool will be right to query why they got punished by going into lockdown without trying to get more money. It's mind numbing how the government is so clueless about everything. I mean, surely they now have to concede whatever extra's they throw at Manchester, is given to every place that goes Tier 3?

Didn't Liverpool get a bunch of money too. Looks to me like Manchester just getting similar to what Liverpool got in the end...maybe data coming from hospitals spooked Burnham and co.

2 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

One case (index case is the black dot), 56 others infected. Went on holidays, didn't restrict movements on return (had a runny nose and a sore throat, but thought this was grand), infected his mates as he went out the night he came home, who in turn infected their own households. Went on to infect his extended family, some of whom infected a number of teammates on their local sports team who then went on to infect their extended families. Worst example is the red dot in the top left corner of the cluster with the index case. She felt unwell, went for a test in the morning, felt a bit better by the afternoon so went to a party that night while waiting for her test results and infected a bunch more (test came back positive the next morning).  Anyway, the case study above gives you a good example of what we are dealing with!

And the importance of quick turnaround on the tests !! 

3 hours ago, Lycra said:

= massive up tick in cases = large numbers off work due to illness = reduced economic out = reduced social activity = NHS overrun = NHS services in general collapse = more deaths 

I find it bizarre some people genuinely think that people are going to go out and do their hobbies and carry on with their normal lives with mass prevalence of covid and a overwhelmed, non-functioning NHS- the economy will still take a huge hit and there will be less financial support for people.

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

And the importance of quick turnaround on the tests !! 

Exactly!...but even a 24h turnaround in this case wasn't quick enough (and isn't if people make no changes to behaviour while they wait). Rapid tests are the only answer (and they need to trigger proper management...plus repeated rapid tests for close contacts for a few days til they get the all clear). 

5 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I think point is due to lag times any restrictions now will not have an affect for another few weeks...and don't want to get to case where all beds are used up with covid (and flu) patients.

At least once a decade the NHS is in complete crisis and patients are being stepped over in corridors as if they have no dignity and people are needlessly dying in their own homes because ambulances can’t unload their patients into hospitals until a bed comes free so they cannot attend the next call.
When have we ever been locked down for that?

When have we ever delayed cancer diagnosis and treatment for that? 

The world doesn’t need to revolve around Covid. 

9 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

I am no fan of this government and their handling of this pandemic - I think we all agree they are a bunch of chancers, but when you read the likes of this you realise just what we are dealing with.  The stupidity and selfishness shown here is absolutely staggering, and sadly I don't think this scenario is that rare.  We all have a part to play in getting out the other side of this mess, and people like this are making it near impossible at the minute