When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Currently in the UAE where a Covid test is required to enter Abu Dhabi. They have a laser DPI test that tests for signs of the body fighting a virus. Test is instant (overall process took less than 5mins- pin prick then a quick scan from car seat) if you fail the test you need to take the PCR test straight afterwards. Valid for 48hrs.

Could a similar system be in place for large events in the UK? Whilst it won't eradicate transmission it could reduce risks. 

1 minute ago, barcelonista1899 said:

Could a similar system be in place for large events in the UK? Whilst it won't eradicate transmission it could reduce risks. 

The problem with rapid testing at the gates isn’t the actual tests themselves. 

It’s how you deal with the people who fail the tests and the people around them in the queue. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

It’s how you deal with the people who fail the tests and the people around them in the queue. 

and the people around them on busses for extended journeys ...

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

The latter wouldn’t be a problem would it? 

For coach travellers who have spent hours alongside a covid positive person it could be. You can also spend a lot of time waiting to get in depending on your time of arrival. If a person next to you tests positive how would you want the stewards to deal with you. 

At the gate testing isn’t going to happen. 

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Bring back the love bullets tent and shove them in there for the weekend? 😄

Could work with testing sites around the country open for all events. Would require a lot infrastructure and a competent govt mind you. 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And he did appear to act quickly and decisively at the start of the pandemic with the furlough scheme. It's just his actions since then that have been less impressive.

And he's handsome. Rational or not, being "dishy Rishi" does help.

I will say it again everyone was won over by Rishi giving out money. His first briefing announcing furlough he did seem a cut above the rest because he was saying stuff like no one will be left behind. - Then instantly leaves millions of people with absolutely no help and doesn't address it since. He's now changed his tune to "I can't save every job" and has similar rhetoric to Boris now. 

Also I can't believe anyone thinks he's handsome, he looks like a fraggle rock puppet to me

11 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

For coach travellers who have spent hours alongside a covid positive person it could be. You can also spend a lot of time waiting to get in depending on your time of arrival. If a person next to you tests positive how would you want the stewards to deal with you. 

At the gate testing isn’t going to happen. 

You wouldn’t be contagious immediately after catching covid though, doesn’t it take a few days to get covid? 

3 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

I will say it again everyone was won over by Rishi giving out money. His first briefing announcing furlough he did seem a cut above the rest because he was saying stuff like no one will be left behind. - Then instantly leaves millions of people with absolutely no help and doesn't address it since. He's now changed his tune to "I can't save every job" and has similar rhetoric to Boris now. 

Also I can't believe anyone thinks he's handsome, he looks like a fraggle rock puppet to me

He’s style of public speaking grates on me as well. He constantly sounds like he’s talking down to us. 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m just holding out hope that they might at some point get something right ... like they did with getting several vaccines .... although it’s a long shot at know ... 

I've got faith in the competent scientists and from this mornings news it suggests we'll have a vaccine in the first quarter of next year... I'm just wondering how the government will fuck it up for us though.

1 minute ago, SheffJeff said:

I've got faith in the competent scientists and from this mornings news it suggests we'll have a vaccine in the first quarter of next year... I'm just wondering how the government will fuck it up for us though.

Distribution, they give it to their mates first. 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/inews.co.uk/news/politics/andy-burnham-covid-figures-exaggerated-row-public-confidence-729170/amp

interesting - he's now saying government are overstating the situation in Manchester. Really is standing on his own here...

Nope, even the local Tory MPs including Graham Brady, chairman of the 1922 Committee, agree with Burnham.