When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Pfizer to apply for emergency US use of its Covid-19 vaccine candidate in November

A quick snap from Reuters here that Pfizer has said today that it would apply for emergency use in the United States of its Covid-19 vaccine candidate as soon as a safety milestone is achieved in the third week of November. It is being developed along with Germany’s BioNTech.

Donald Trump has repeatedly said that a vaccine in the US was just around the corner, and applied pressure to the Food and Drug Administration over their process for approving a vaccine for use.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2020/oct/16/donald-trump-joe-biden-tv-debate-town-hall-kamala-harris-coronavirus-covid-us-election-live-updates?page=with:block-5f897aec8f08ebac1a04136e#block-5f897aec8f08ebac1a04136e

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Nah, we'll never be allowed meet anyone else again, ever...😜

Just kidding mate...Sounds like you were having a bit of a wobble earlier. That's ok, entirely understandable and everyone goes through a period of asking themselves the question in the title of the thread. But, it will end and even if the vaccine is not 100% effective, it'll be sufficient for us to control things and move back towards normality (they pretty much never are 100% anyway, we're just too complex as biological beings to completely predict how anything will work in all of us). And that's what everything up to now and into the future with regard to COVID is about, controlling the disease and it's impact. Up to now, we've had non-pharmaceutical interventions as we didn't have the drugs/vaccines to use. But, the pharmaceutical interventions are improving and you are seeing the benefit of some of the progress on that front in better outcomes for patients that do end up in hospital. Newer, better drugs will also come on stream with time (especially those developed specifically to treat this disease rather than re-purposed drugs we already had, not that re-purposing is a bad thing). The first round of vaccines are nearing emergency use, and governments and heathcare systems the world over are looking into how they will roll out a massive vaccination programme. Here (Ireland), legislation has been changed to allow pharmacists to administer shots off-premises (drive through vaccination clinics are what the plan is) and our own health service executive has been making similar plans to those being discussed in the article you linked to. There's already an existing mass vaccination programme for flu this winter, so piggy backing on that infrastructure seems the most logical way to roll out the COVID vaccine (vulnerable populations and healthcare workers are who the flu programme is aimed at, so the same people are at the top of the queue for any COVID vaccine). Whether it starts in December or January/February all depends on where the trials are (maybe another 4-5 weeks til we find out?), but most jurisdictions have plans in place for it to be sooner rather than later. In theory, 21st November is the earliest the FDA will authorise the Pfizer vaccine (if they stick to their guns and insist on 2 more months follow up data from their 21st September announcement), the EMA and MHRA haven't put a date on how much follow up data they need to see, so could in principal grant EUA before that, but more likely they will all approve in a similar timeframe as they are all looking at the same data. That would allow immediate roll of out the doses that have been manufactured at risk, so not impossible to see vaccinations as early as December, but unless some or all of them are far exceeding expectations in terms of efficacy, I'd say early in the new year is a more realistic guess (it's just a guess though). Essentially, plans need to be in place to roll out the vaccine as soon as it's available, so prudent to be ready to go early and still be ready to go if it takes a little longer. It's still not 100% certain that any of the first batch of vaccine candidates will make it over the line, but if we do see vaccinations in the next few months, it'll have been a Herculean effort to produce a vaccine in under 12 months (FWIW, I don't think they will all fail and we will have a useable vaccine to begin 2021 with...completely unprecedented and a testament to the rapid vaccine development platforms that have been designed over the last few years).

Edit: I see an update about the Pfizer vaccine was posted while I was typing. Ties in with the 4-5 week timeframe, so watch this space!

Edited by Toilet Duck
update
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Just now, Euphoricape said:

What was the difference? I didn't go back to work until July so was all the same style lockdown to me .

May style means that schools, hospitality and non-essential retail would be closed but there’s no “stay at home” instruction and people can exercise as much as they like, drive to beauty spots, gather in public parks in groups of 6 etc 

I'm sorry reading through all of the pages of today to catch up and so much of it is just people having to call out Fuzzy for trolling and saying stupid things. - Fuzzy please can you try and be considerate, especially when this is all affecting people in different ways. - Make jokes and quips and try and lighten the mood all you want but this morning half the thread is you speaking absolute tosh with little base or source to back up what you're saying. 

This one post really annoyed me the most though

4 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Tbf, if you eliminate the actual cost of going to work then you’re by definition reducing a person’s cost of living, so then they don’t need their full wage. 

Are you kidding me. Are you fucking kidding me? - This is the problem, do you not realize how fucking scary it is living on low income. I got an average of 700 a month on furlough, with 550 going on rent and bills. can't imagine being able to live on less than that. 

Most people aren't commuting on a train for a minimum wage job, so they are not saving hundreds of pounds. I never had to money to go and buy lunch in a sandwich shop while working, I'd just eat at home before hand. 

Like at least I got something. But most people getting this 67 percent will not be office workers with high paid salaries, they'll be minimum wage paid workers. Who will have to deal with having no choice but getting insanely low income each month through no fault of their own. - 

I'm tired of hearing the "It's better than nothing attitude" when talking about these schemes - When so many people are getting nothing from these schemes. Like Burnham talked about, no help for taxi drivers and other freelancers who will be hit by the loss of hospitality. - and when there is so many places going out of business and closing, there is limited jobs to move to, most people would be too scared to leave their 67 percent furlough to try and get a new job. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

3 days, as "tier 2" only became a thing on the 14th. 

Legally they've been under "similar" but somewhat different restrictions since 4 July (Leicester) and 5 August (Manchester).

In terms of guidelines rather than law it may be different.

Manchester was 31st July, as I remember the tweets late on the Thursday the night before at something like 9.30pm telling us a midnight we would be under restrictions :(

23 minutes ago, CurlyPutz said:

Long term lurker here, figured I say hello as I have been following this thread since the page numbers were much lower.  Keeps me sane, sort of, so thanks people.

Welcome :) and Hello!!

Edited by Wellyboot

33 minutes ago, CurlyPutz said:

Long term lurker here, figured I say hello as I have been following this thread since the page numbers were much lower.  Keeps me sane, sort of, so thanks people.

I'm in the same boat! 
I've checked this thread *far* too many times over the past few months, which has kept me both semi-sane and entertained throughout. Anyway, I'll go back to lurking but felt compelled enough to follow @CurlyPutz lead and come out of the shadows for one post

• Like 1

Just now, CurlyPutz said:

I'll be glad when this ride comes to an end that's for sure. The world has gone mad.

Most mad thing I’ve seen yet was a fire alarm at York university halls the other where the building was being evacuated but the students who were self isolating had to stay in and take their chances. Absolutely nuts. 

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Most mad thing I’ve seen yet was a fire alarm at York university halls the other where the building was being evacuated but the students who were self isolating had to stay in and take their chances. Absolutely nuts. 

Slight exaggeration there. 

What actually happened was the isolating students were asked to wait back for a minute or so to allow the non isolating students out first. 

Still wasn’t right though.