When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Would be interesting to see in a normal pre-pandemic time what percentage of hospitality visits are made by single household groups. Obviously you get the odd married couple out for dinner and drinks etc but I’d imagine by and large the vast majority of hospitality visits are used by people to meet up with family and friends outside of their households 

I think in cities you get plenty of couples pre-Theatre/gig/cinema dining. But that audience doesn't exist any more.

11 minutes ago, Chef said:

I think the issue is, that without Burnhams support they don't believe the public will adhere to the rules, seeing his opposition as a reason not to follow them. And without the right financial support they won't get Burnhams support. And so it goes on. 

a lot of Tory MPs in Gtr Manchester pushing back too...the Brady bunch.

8 minutes ago, tigger123 said:

This really is all such a mess isn't it

Exactly this. Struggling to comprehend just how fractured local vs. national gov relationship is right now. It seems more fractured between local/devolved and national gov. than party vs. party! Boris seems to have united everyone vs. his team.

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think in cities you get plenty of couples pre-Theatre/gig/cinema dining. But that audience doesn't exist any more.

Oh yeah I’m not saying no one ever has dinner out with their household. But limiting hospitality visits to household only must kill 70%+ of their demand I’d imagine 

On 10/12/2020 at 10:17 PM, SheffJeff said:

........... ludicrous contracts getting awarded to new companies started by people who just happen to be best buddies with the Tory elite. Because to the uneducated it seems shady as shit.

This should be enlightening if they ever get anywhere with this JR.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/government-legal-case-coronavirus-private-contracts-711916

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, mikegday said:

Exactly this. Struggling to comprehend just how fractured local vs. national gov relationship is right now. It seems more fractured between local/devolved and national gov. than party vs. party! Boris seems to have united everyone vs. his team.

I scoffed at the idea earlier in the year (as Labour would get thrown under the bus) but I’m really starting to think the best way forward now is for the Tories to get rid of Johnson, Government of National Unity to bring everyone together and then a GE straight after the pandemic. 

29 minutes ago, Chef said:

I think the issue is, that without Burnhams support they don't believe the public will adhere to the rules, seeing his opposition as a reason not to follow them. And without the right financial support they won't get Burnhams support. And so it goes on. 

It's a dangerous stance by Burnham.  Hold out too long and cases go up to the point where he won't have too many cards left to play and will risk being blamed himself.

2 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I scoffed at the idea earlier in the year (as Labour would get thrown under the bus) but I’m really starting to think the best way forward now is for the Tories to get rid of Johnson, Government of National Unity to bring everyone together and then a GE straight after the pandemic. 

No way that will happen...the may get rid of Johnson but he'll just be replaced with Gove or Sunak or some other loony.

Just now, Ozanne said:

I completely agree, but it’s never going to happen. If their popularity continues to go in the tank they’ll backstab Boris Johnson, but they’ll happily just elect a new Tory leader to rule with their massive majority.

The candidates will be:

Sunak leading the hawks, probably supported by Alok Sharma and Priti Patel. They’ll get a lot of support from Tory backbenchers because they’ll promise to repair our economy and follow a Swedish approach.

Michael Gove will be the continuity candidate backed by Cummings. A lot of the current cabinet will back him. This lot will champion an Australian style zero covid strategy, very unpopular with backbenchers and he probably won’t even make the final 2. 

Jeremy Hunt will probably run as someone who can claim he’s not played a huge role in the pandemic and probably champion (Arguable, because when he was health secretary he had the UK very well prepared for a pandemic. Only problem is they assumed it’d be a flu pandemic, so we were woefully unprepared for a SARS type outbreak). He’ll be supported by backbench ex ministers like Javid and May, and I think he will make the final 2.

I’d expect Sunak to win.

8 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

It's a dangerous stance by Burnham.  Hold out too long and cases go up to the point where he won't have too many cards left to play and will risk being blamed himself.

Manchester cases are going down but unfortunately we are going to see a rise in deaths due to lag :(

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

This was something I was wondering about just yesterday. If someone is having chemo, potentially for some time, would they be a viable option for the vaccine? Or too dangerous due to lack of immune response? It sounds like potentially with a pause in chemo. Appreciate only speculation at this point, but would like to hear how common that is.

Howdy, apologies for the delay in answering you, was off at a funeral unfortunately. So...many vaccines are still recommended for cancer patients. Before starting treatment is the best time, but they can still be given during treatment if needs be (though they may not work as well). It depends on the vaccine. Anyone with a weakened immune system is not recommended to take live attenuated virus vaccines (these are weakened versions of the virus), but other types are generally ok (cancer patients are still recommended to get their flu shots for example, just not the nasal spray version as that is a live, weakened virus vaccine). Most of the CoV vaccines being made now do not have any live virus in them (there are a few, some of the Chinese ones do and there are some others in development), so most of them would be less risky for cancer patients to take. If the vaccine has high efficacy in someone with a fully functioning immune system, then they will likely still provide some protection for cancer patients undergoing chemo (though would work better after they finish or before they start). There's other things to consider too (patients could be on immune checkpoint inhibitors, so they would not be suitable at that time, and standard chemo frequently causes what's known as neutropenia (low white blood cell count) and patients with this from their treatment wouldn't get vaccines at that time either...their white blood cell count will bounce back though, so they can get it then. Depending on the type of cancer, some patients also might get bone marrow transplants, or stem cell transplants, so they would need to wait as well). There's various things to consider basically, but cancer patients can and do get vaccines without having to stop their treatment. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I completely agree, but it’s never going to happen. If their popularity continues to go in the tank they’ll backstab Boris Johnson, but they’ll happily just elect a new Tory leader to rule with their massive majority.

The candidates will be:

Sunak leading the hawks, probably supported by Alok Sharma and Priti Patel. They’ll get a lot of support from Tory backbenchers because they’ll promise to repair our economy and follow a Swedish approach.

Michael Gove will be the continuity candidate backed by Cummings. A lot of the current cabinet will back him. This lot will champion an Australian style zero covid strategy, very unpopular with backbenchers and he probably won’t even make the final 2. 

Jeremy Hunt will probably run as someone who can claim he’s not played a huge role in the pandemic and probably champion (Arguable, because when he was health secretary he had the UK very well prepared for a pandemic. Only problem is they assumed it’d be a flu pandemic, so we were woefully unprepared for a SARS type outbreak). He’ll be supported by backbench ex ministers like Javid and May, and I think he will make the final 2.

I’d expect Sunak to win.

Funny how Jeremy Hunt seems like an intellectual juggernaut with real substance and integrity next to this lot.

13 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

As we reach page number 1220, let’s play a game. 

What date will the first covid-19 vaccine gain approval from the UK regulator?

My guess is Tuesday 15th December 2020.

Closest to the correct date wins an upvote. 

January 21st 2021.

6 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Funny how Jeremy Hunt seems like an intellectual juggernaut with real substance and integrity next to this lot.

Some people call him Jeremy Hunt. I call him Jeremy c**t. Half the reason the NHS was so ill equipped to deal with this pandemic is because of the cuts he authorised when he was health secretary under the coalition. He’s an odious walloper of a man. 

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I’m amazed some people think Hunt could help. If it was wasn’t for his gutting of the health service and pissing off of Junior Doctors then the NHS would’ve been in a better place to deal with this pandemic from the start.