When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Ashl said:

Was thinking the same thing, not that I've been commenting much here recently. My current view is that even going into full lockdown with schools and unis still functioning may not be enough this time to stop the increase in winter deaths, I just think there is enough lax behaviour it will still spread with less sticking to the rules and kids transmitting mostly silently.

Definitely seems like there’s going to be between 3,000 and 107,000 deaths in the second wave 

7 minutes ago, Ashl said:

Was thinking the same thing, not that I've been commenting much here recently. My current view is that even going into full lockdown with schools and unis still functioning may not be enough this time to stop the increase in winter deaths, I just think there is enough lax behaviour it will still spread with less sticking to the rules and kids transmitting mostly silently.

All roads lead back to Cummings.

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/oct/14/where-did-victoria-go-so-wrong-with-contact-tracing-and-have-they-fixed-it

An article around contract tracing in Australia that some might find interesting, specifically comparing New South Wales and Victoria  that is somewhat relevant with the Uk local councils complaining that NHS (serco) track and trace is too centralised.

Tl;Dr: A decentralised system in NSW has allowed faster response and the ability to successfully ring-fence any outbreaks and a Covid-Normal life. A centralised approach in Victoria led the system to collapse under the weight of new cases leading to a lockdown and a change in operations leading to more success.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

When will this shit end...?

July at earliest says Oxford bod.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8836891/Vaccine-expert-warns-facemasks-social-distancing-needed-summer.html

Me, I still think it'll be earlier. A full-on medical take on things isn't going to hold right thru to the summer; it's not holding now.

Once there's a vaccine is agree. I simply don't think govt or the populace will agree to social distancing at that stage other than a month or two to allow distribution 

9 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah to be honest that's what started the whole "oh he's so funny lol let's vote for him as mayor" bollocks. 

The thing is, I always thought back then we were laughing AT what a massive idiot he is. Turns out I was wrong!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Homer said:

The thing is, I always thought back then we were laughing AT what a massive idiot he is. Turns out I was wrong!

I grew up believing he was a joke politician. Then I was massively confused when he became Mayor of London. And what the fuck has happened to allow him to be PM? 

9 hours ago, ace56blaa said:

I saw him play sit down volleyball with Barbara Windsor at the 2012 paralympics. 

It was surreal seeing him elected as PM. I don't know how long the country can.. carry on

I was lucky to be a volunteer at the Olympics and I had the unfortunate pleasure of meeting him a couple of times. My opinion still hasn't changed of the man 🤡

42 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I grew up believing he was a joke politician. Then I was massively confused when he became Mayor of London. And what the fuck has happened to allow him to be PM? 

I take it as a source of some pride that whilst I was a student at Edinburgh  University we voted for Green MSP Mark Ballard over Boris for rector despite the blonde buffoon's best efforts to come to student nightclubs and chug pints out of plastic cups. 

• Upvote 1

Bit worried about the situation in Manchester. One of my best mates lives there, had symptoms since Friday, got a test on Monday but was told yesterday the test was inconclusive and he needs to take the test again. He's going back in this morning.

He had a condition a couple of years ago that would probably put him in the at risk category if he does have it so it's a bit of a worrying time. Pretty frustrating too as he's only been out and about for work and has been completely careful otherwise. 

Just received a letter though the post from the Department of Health saying I have been randomly selected to take part in the in-home antibody research (finger-prick test). 
Will be very intrigued with the results, as I had symptoms in late Feb/early March before lockdown.  

15 minutes ago, Waterdeep said:

@Toilet Duck I haven't seen anything on ADE for a while but this just popped up. It looks like it's only been found in vitro for now, is there much chance of it being an issue?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.08.20209114v1.full.pdf+html

Outside of dengue fever (where it is a known disease mechanism), it's not all that common an occurrence to be honest. Neutralising antibodies generally do what it says on the tin and neutralise the virus. What drives ADE is still pretty poorly understood. It's something that has been checked for during the vaccine development studies and the fact that it's theoretically possible means that it's being watched for in trials, but at the moment there's no evidence that it's anything other than a rarity (and indeed, mostly observed either in the lab or in pre-clinical studies in animals rather than in patients). At the moment, there's no strong evidence this is an issue, however, we're less than a year into studying a novel virus, so anything is possible I suppose! The best evidence against it is that recombinant antibodies used therapeutically don't seem to be making matters worse (even cocktails), though how representative they are of the entire repertoire of anti-SAR-CoV-2 antibodies produced naturally is probably part of the explanation (binding antibodies might be more likely to induce ADE, but tyre mechanisms are really still being described). 

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

thing is, the UK is already in the "absolutely necessary" phase. We're on a strong path to NHS overload, and even the tories aren't dumb enough to think that would be politically acceptable.

My take on Starmer's call for a lockdown yesterday is that he can't lose. Sooner or later Spaffer will have to do it, and he'll be measured against Starmer for it.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

My take on Starmer's call for a lockdown yesterday is that he can't lose. Sooner or later Spaffer will have to do it, and he'll be measured against Starmer for it.

We need more lawyers in politics. Prosecution lawyers know exactly what questions to ask as they already know the answers. 

If Bojo does the right thing brings in the circuit breaker he is bowing to Starmer. 

If he brings in a circuit breaker late then he will be chastised for not bringing it in sooner and still bow to Starmer. 

If he doesn’t bring it in at all. Many more people will suffer and the blame is fully on Boris.