When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Close the bloody schools already 

443A0106-1A19-419C-8D49-6E2A4E764165.jpeg

Why on earth should the schools be closed? It's arguably the most important thing to keep open. Yes that will lead to more spreading of the virus but tbh what is the alternative? These kids to miss a year of education on top of what is already lost?

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This is the phenomenon that I mentioned yesterday where people are suspicious of strangers but not friends even though all evidence shows that you are more likely to have something bad happen to you at the hands of someone you know rather than a stranger. 

But it’s the risk vs reward for people on this point - and for that it is down to personal choice.
For example if I wanted to see my parents and we all fully understood the associated risks of doing so - that I could pass onto them and vice versa - then transmission is a potential consequence of meeting up. But that is counter balanced with being able to see each other and them see their grandchild etc. 
Personally I would rather that than be coughed on my a random stranger on a bus/train or in the supermarket. 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, fraybentos1 said:

Why on earth should the schools be closed? It's arguably the most important thing to keep open. Yes that will lead to more spreading of the virus but tbh what is the alternative? These kids to miss a year of education on top of what is already lost?

Because it has the biggest impact on R, even more so than working from home 

18 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Yeah my info on secret cinema was from when they first started i should have looked further into it. 

Though my point still stands about an immersive art cinema with tickets starting at the 50 quid mark, get's a ton of funding, one of the biggest awarded funds, when it is clearly geared towards a middle class audience who can afford theatre and stuff like this. - For the record I love secret cinema when i went to the back to the future one a few years ago now and understand it's the parent company getting the money, just don't understand why the are deserving of one of the highest amounts of funding, it's not one of the biggest cultural touchstones in the industry

Which industry? Secret Cinema probably are the biggest cultural touchstone in terms of immersive theatre. SC and Punchdrunk are probably the only two immersive theatre companies most people could name.

The current SC stuff is also a big step up from the old "film in a theme bar" set up. They're done as full-on immersive experiences these days. Definitely more theatre than cinema.

6 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

This is the phenomenon that I mentioned yesterday where people are suspicious of strangers but not friends even though all evidence shows that you are more likely to have something bad happen to you at the hands of someone you know rather than a stranger. 

It's also that social distancing requires the agreement of everyone. If I know my friends are taking it seriously, I can go to their house confident that they're not going to touch me and will keep a 2m distance. I don't have that comfort in a pub because Mark "COVID doesn't exist" might be drinking there and not want to respect that space.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Closing them would have a much bigger impact on R though. I’m biased though because I want them closed 

Weren’t you having a pop at me earlier for wanting restrictions? Now you are calling for schools to close. Make up your mind.

I’ll be really clear here, schools have to be very last thing we close and that’s even if we absolutely have to. Kids education is one of the most important things. I’d stay in lockdown all winter if it meant the kids could get a full education. 

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

For the Sir Keir fanboys out there (Ozanne).

What an evening. Keir Starmer press conference at 1700 then Apple iPhone conference at 1800. 😍

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Because it has the biggest impact on R, even more so than working from home 

You seem to chop and change what you want regularly. Closing schools would basically mean full lockdown again which i am pretty sure you have said you don't want.

This virus is going to be here a while we can't just shut school indefinitely it's insane. Not much more important that children's education in society imo.

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

You seem to chop and change what you want regularly. Closing schools would basically mean full lockdown again which i am pretty sure you have said you don't want.

This virus is going to be here a while we can't just shut school indefinitely it's insane. Not much more important that children's education in society imo.

I can want schools closed without wanting lockdown. 

5 minutes ago, Gilb said:

Happy to stand corrected. That does sound like it's out of step in that case. All I can think of is maybe the amount they splurge on sets, props, costumes, location, insurance shows up as more excessive in their accounts than other venues might have in a fixed location. 

My first take was that you hadn't heard of it. I've done a few including BTTF which was really good.

Yeah I'm not trying to discredit it as a great fun evening out and yeah probably came across like I was disgusted by something I hadn't heard about, ive only been to bttf. 

But I think overall my point was does the funding it's given reflect how much value it brings to the country compared to some of the indy cinemas, venues and even festivals. 

I think secret cinema should get funding. but the difference is giving that much money to a company that puts on two events opposed to a theatre that could put on 6 or more similar scale projects each year. I like that the amount isn't informed by the biggest profits but doesn't seems to be informed by a proportionate value to the community 

1 hour ago, ace56blaa said:

Btw this is a spreadsheet of some of the awards given from the arts council. Seems to be a skewing to high art or expensive art (as was predicted) theatres being prioritized over indy cinemas. In face very little help for stuff like cinemas, except a thing called "secret cinema" a once a year event, that charges 60 pounds a ticket. Deffo hearing some of the highest awards have gone to establishments with tory ties to. 

also the geographical bias  yet again - "leveling up"

Secret Cinema isn’t a once a year event - it runs for months at a time and provides employment for hundreds of actors, musicians, set designers, techies and so on. 

Edit: I hadn’t read all of your replies before I posted this! Sorry! 

Edited by stuie

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Which industry? Secret Cinema probably are the biggest cultural touchstone in terms of immersive theatre. SC and Punchdrunk are probably the only two immersive theatre companies most people could name.

The current SC stuff is also a big step up from the old "film in a theme bar" set up. They're done as full-on immersive experiences these days. Definitely more theatre than cinema.

It's also that social distancing requires the agreement of everyone. If I know my friends are taking it seriously, I can go to their house confident that they're not going to touch me and will keep a 2m distance. I don't have that comfort in a pub because Mark "COVID doesn't exist" might be drinking there and not want to respect that space.

I only don't consider it as much of a cultural touchstone, because it is all related to existing IPs, it feels more like a ode to film than actual art itself/

For me the biggest cultural touchstone of immersive theatre would be Boomtown, I feel like more people have been changed or affected by that festival and it's blend of theatre, music and art. 

17 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

I think they'll claim that's the reason but I think it's more to do with making sure parents are able to work.  Especially now grandparents can't be relied on for chidcare.

You say that it was suggested yesterday that would be a exception not seen it confirmed or denied yet.

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I can want schools closed without wanting lockdown. 

Earlier on your were arguing against more restrictions now you want schools shut. They have to be the last to shut, or don’t you care about kids education?

You do change your mind very frequently, unless you are just trolling. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

Earlier on your were arguing against more restrictions now you want schools shut. They have to be the last to shut, or don’t you care about kids education?

You do change your mind very frequently, unless you are just trolling. 

Closing schools would allow R to be brought down while other things can be kept open. I don’t think it’s fair on those of us without kids yet to completely mothball society just to keep schools open.

• Downvote 1

I think this 2 week circuit breaker sounds like a really good plan - as does the German idea of adding a week onto the Christmas holidays - essentially two circuit breakers that way. If they bring the R down that amount just for a little bit, it gives us some breathing room for what to do

Furious they didn't just do it when advised - we'd be nearly through it by now! At least those areas outside the madhouses of Liverpool and Manchester would be in a really strong position for the next few weeks...

1 minute ago, stuie said:

Secret Cinema isn’t a once a year event - it runs for months at a time and provides employment for hundreds of actors, musicians, set designers, techies and so on. 

Yeah i know it has a run of eah setting, very much like a theatre run. 

IM NOT TRYING TO SAY SECRET CINEMA IS BAD, just that I and many other don't see it as deserving as the highest amounts of funding when so many other places have been forced to shut. It's up there with large promoters, company responsible for tons of events and artists. 

It's great fun and yes provides employments for loads, (except the reported slew of unpaid volunteer actors) just sad that so much help has been given to something that is based on existing IP and fan culture, feels like more akin to a themepark than an arts funding recipient, - Though I concede seems to be popular on here for sommmmmme reason

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

Closing schools would allow R to be brought down while other things can be kept open. I don’t think it’s fair on those of us without kids yet to completely mothball society just to keep schools open.

You are missing the point that kids have already lost months of their education they shouldn’t have to go anymore unless it’s absolutely necessary. Kids desperately need to be in school with their teacher learning not stuck at home learning virtually. It’s vitally important and we should be doing everything we can to keep them open.

Lets not beat around the bush here all you care about is seeing your partner and a low R rate makes that more of possibility. That’s why you want schools closed, you’d rather kids go without education so you can see your partner. 

1 minute ago, Ozanne said:

You are missing the point that kids have already lost months of their education they shouldn’t have to go anymore unless it’s absolutely necessary. Kids desperately need to be in school with their teacher learning not stuck at home learning virtually. It’s vitally important and we should be doing everything we can to keep them open.

Lets not beat around the bush here all you care about is seeing your partner and a low R rate makes that more of possibility. That’s why you want schools closed, you’d rather kids go without education so you can see your partner. 

I don’t think they should actually close the schools btw.

5 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There will be much bigger societal problems in the long term if kids can't be educated. 

4 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

IM NOT TRYING TO SAY SECRET CINEMA IS BAD, just that I and many other don't see it as deserving as the highest amounts of funding when so many other places have been forced to shut. It's up there with large promoters, company responsible for tons of events and artists. 

That's fair enough, there's plenty of stuff that I see no value in that probably doesn't deserve funding in my view but is getting it anyway.

But what's undeniable is Secret Cinema is a world leader in immersive theatre. And yes, part of that is in the way it vastly opened up the entire art form to a whole new audience with the "cinema" branding and tie-in to existing properties.

In that world, criticising something for being based on an existing IP doesn't really carry any weight, as by that measure all those theatre companies just doing Shakespeare or the classics would just being "re-doing the same story".

It's not that people on here particularly like it, and we can argue what should or shouldn't be funded, but if we're talking about cultural significance then it's hard to argue against it.