When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Shielders advised to go “one step further” than their tier restriction @crazyfool1

Medium areas: Don’t mix indoors with other households

High areas: Don’t attend pubs/bars, gyms etc

Very High areas: Return to shielding 

Thanks just catching up not quite sure where I fall as I wasn’t shielding ... I’m in the group below that ... i reckon we have been removed from categorisation now will check on the details 

9 minutes ago, priest17 said:

We have very different attitudes to life

Maybe, maybe it's just because I've lived through it all. I've seen my favourite Glastonbury food vendor go away. I've seen my favourite venues close down, multiple times, including ones I was promoting shows at. I've seen festivals I loved go away or become nothing like what they were. I've seen my favourite bands break up. I've lost my job.

All these things have happened to me before, and there was no deadly virus in play. Just creative differences, planning permission snafus and commercial realities. And all of them will happen to be me again. And yes, they made me sad. But the world never ended. My way of life did not fall apart. It didn't all go to shit. I discovered new bands, new venues, new festivals, new food. I'm okay. And some of the things I love now I would never have found if some of those things hadn't gone away and "made room".

And so I know I'll be okay with however this works out too. And so will you.

Edited by DeanoL
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It wasn't managed properly and we are where we are now though. And this will end, and when it does music will still exist, food vendors will still exist, festivals will still exist and football will still exist. Will your favourites be part of that? Maybe not. That's sad. But there will be other ones. 

Maybe you think I'm the mad one, but I likewise feel the same way about people who think we should just accept tens of thousands of extra deaths so Gahndi's Flip Flop can stay open.

Jobs go away too. We nearly all lose jobs at some point in our lives. 

20190630_114455.jpg

7 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

And conversely, SAGE don’t care about the impact on society, on the economy, or on mental health.

SAGE only present options and their estimated impact on R. It’s for the government to decide whether those restrictions would be too impactful on society. 

SAGE does care about those things, especially mental health. Chris Whitty has spoken about mental health many times at a briefing and yesterday he mentioned the economy.

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Dont forget though Ireland have rejected the health advice a few weeks ago as well as BJ rejecting the SAGE advice.

Goverments arent just looking at the Covid spread now. The UK Govt was never about zero covid

Which, to be fair, is what Governments have to do. Similar has been happening in France too.

There’s some really good advice out there on trying to manage individual stress levels. However most people have a need to commune, to be around other people. I realise this is obvious to Patrons of a Music Festival Forum but it’s significant in the wider world currently when assessing the level of Compliance with rules around e.g. seeing Family and Friends, how many people you can have in your house etc.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Maybe you think I'm the mad one, but I likewise feel the same way about people who think we should just accept tens of thousands of extra deaths so Gahndi's Flip Flop can stay open.

Do many actually think like that though? It’s not a case of people just wanting to go and get pissed on a weekend with their mates, it far wider than that. I thihk the majority of people want to find a balance where people can see their families (if they feel comfortable in doing so), keep their jobs, be able to watch sports/music at reduced capacity etc - all with social distancing in place etc. And the key is protecting the vulnerable throughout. 
As I’ve said throughout this, I will not be visiting my grandad who is in his 70s with COPD until all of this is over. We made that choice regardless of if Boris said we can or not. 

26 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Shielders advised to go “one step further” than their tier restriction @crazyfool1

Medium areas: Don’t mix indoors with other households

High areas: Don’t attend pubs/bars, gyms etc

Very High areas: Return to shielding 

I wonder if those under "return to shielding" will get some sort of financial help to do so....

5 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

According to SAGE the government’s £12b test and trace system for England has only had a ‘marginal impact’ on reducing the spread of the virus. Money well spent hey!

Considering that 11.9b went to their mates and only 0.1b was actually spent on the system it’s not that surprising. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, efcfanwirral said:

I wonder if those under "return to shielding" will get some sort of financial help to do so....

even for the return to shielding people are still being told to go do work mostly ... unless they get a specific letter from what I can see ..... its ok because we are all covid secure ... no access for the virus there .... feels like they have opened this up to risking more vulnerable now ... and things more at own risk 

10 minutes ago, st dan said:

Do many actually think like that though? It’s not a case of people just wanting to go and get pissed on a weekend with their mates, it far wider than that. I thihk the majority of people want to find a balance where people can see their families (if they feel comfortable in doing so), keep their jobs, be able to watch sports/music at reduced capacity etc - all with social distancing in place etc. And the key is protecting the vulnerable throughout.

That was just the argument being made to me - that it could mean loads of things I love might go away. And while I agree that sucks, and agree it will happen, I accept that as a consequence.

Just opening up won't fix everything anyway. There's a venue in the town over from me that had a certain artist on a few years ago. It's a 1000 capacity standing venue. Said artist sold out that venue on the day tickets went on sale (it was the smallest venue of the tour). A few weeks ago, that same artist sets up a socially distanced show at the same venue, capacity now around 100. It sells out straight away. So they add a matinee show. Barely sell half the tickets. Now there's a few other factors at play here: tickets were around twice the price of the previous show, less central promotion as it wasn't a big tour, and you needed a minimum group of 2, but it says volumes about how many people are actually willing to go to gigs. They struggled to shift 200 tickets to an artist that sold 1000 in a day. There's clearly 1000 people in the area that want to go see that artist, but less than 200 that are willing to take the risk, even in a socially distanced show.

(In the end, the gigs were pulled as the infection numbers had started going up again and while the area wasn't in local lockdown it wasn't considered sensible or safe)

I think a lot of the "let's just open everything back up and go back to normal" brigade would get a short, sharp shock if we did that, as it turned out 80% of people chose to just stay at home still, and those struggling businesses continued to struggle regardless.

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think a lot of the "let's just open everything back up and go back to normal" brigade would get a short, sharp shock if we did that, as it turned out 80% of people chose to just stay at home still, and those struggling businesses continued to struggle regardless.

Realism at last. Mrs L & myself haven't touched a pub or restaurant since mid-March, nor have we been away even for 1 night. Many friends & relatives have done likewise. Sadly, whilst the virus threat remains, many businesses will fail through lack of custom; either through enforced lockdown or lack of clientele.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

perhaps - but it's still a better situation with a vaccine working 50% than it is with no vaccine.

Waiting for a vaccine still seems a very worthwhile thing to do at the moment, because it might be much better than 50%.

FWIW, I'm hearing rumblings from a virologist mate in Chicago with his ear to the ground that they are expecting the Pfizer vaccine to be 70-90% effective based on emerging data (he'd seen the pre-clinical data and was impressed by it, I've looked at some of it in their protocol filing to the FDA (as well as the Moderna data) and it does look good alright, though the real details are in the investigators' brochures which haven't been publicly released). That would be a big deal and would allow them to reach their primary endpoint in the trial with as few as 50 events (it was originally powered for a vaccine that was 50% effective, so needed 150). They are expecting to roll out vaccinations to frontline and high risk individuals in the US in January and have the entire US population vaccinated by June. Now, if this was the pyramid headliners thread, I'd be dismissing all this as unsubstantiated rumours (or wishful thinking!), so make of it what you will!. On that front though, BioNTech (the company that designed the Pfizer vaccine) acquired a Novartis manufacturing facility in Germany a few weeks ago and will be able to churn out 750m doses per year from it. It was recently refurbed at a cost of over €100m, so it needs very little re-tooling to get up to speed (they say they can deliver 250m doses for the EU in H1 2021, double that in the second half of the year). Even a vaccine with 50% efficacy changes everything (flu shots are about 30% effective in bad years). The nice thing is, there's a lot more than one that we are pinning our hopes on (and actually, the vaccine portfolio that the UK government has backed is probably one of the best things they've done in handling this pandemic...good broad range of different technologies, and it's unlikely (though not impossible) that all will fail). One way or another, we are entering into the next phase of how all this is managed. 

• Upvote 14

2 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I can’t be the only person who really struggles with music right now because listening to a band I like just hammers home the fact I can’t go and see them live? 

I was like this last week was listening to Sisters of Mercy which was last band I saw live on 7th March... it made me so sad :(

7 minutes ago, Lycra said:

Realism at last. Mrs L & myself haven't touched a pub or restaurant since mid-March, nor have we been away even for 1 night. Many friends & relatives have done likewise. Sadly, whilst the virus threat remains, many businesses will fail through lack of custom; either through enforced lockdown or lack of clientele.

But many people will go, which will give some of those Businesses the chance to survive. They may limit their trips out, they may take precautions before and after. But better that than forced deliberate closure by Government.

7 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

But many people will go, which will give some of those Businesses the chance to survive. They may limit their trips out, they may take precautions before and after. But better that than forced deliberate closure by Government.

It all depends on what the alternatives are. Businesses stumbling long at 30% capacity will not and are not surviving and redundancies are increasing. Restrictions with financial compensation would help to keep more workers on the books. I've seen reports recently that Wetherspoons, Green King and Marsdens are suffering and job losses are a distinct possibility. 

29 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

FWIW, I'm hearing rumblings from a virologist mate in Chicago with his ear to the ground that they are expecting the Pfizer vaccine to be 70-90% effective based on emerging data (he'd seen the pre-clinical data and was impressed by it, I've looked at some of it in their protocol filing to the FDA (as well as the Moderna data) and it does look good alright, though the real details are in the investigators' brochures which haven't been publicly released). That would be a big deal and would allow them to reach their primary endpoint in the trial with as few as 50 events (it was originally powered for a vaccine that was 50% effective, so needed 150). They are expecting to roll out vaccinations to frontline and high risk individuals in the US in January and have the entire US population vaccinated by June. Now, if this was the pyramid headliners thread, I'd be dismissing all this as unsubstantiated rumours (or wishful thinking!), so make of it what you will!. On that front though, BioNTech (the company that designed the Pfizer vaccine) acquired a Novartis manufacturing facility in Germany a few weeks ago and will be able to churn out 750m doses per year from it. It was recently refurbed at a cost of over €100m, so it needs very little re-tooling to get up to speed (they say they can deliver 250m doses for the EU in H1 2021, double that in the second half of the year). Even a vaccine with 50% efficacy changes everything (flu shots are about 30% effective in bad years). The nice thing is, there's a lot more than one that we are pinning our hopes on (and actually, the vaccine portfolio that the UK government has backed is probably one of the best things they've done in handling this pandemic...good broad range of different technologies, and it's unlikely (though not impossible) that all will fail). One way or another, we are entering into the next phase of how all this is managed. 

Pfizer looking like the favourite now then? Might buy some shares in them.

Does that vaccine provide full sterilising immunity or would it need to be given out annually?