When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I posted that this morning ... thread was busy so it swept past .... I mean how on earth is Dido Harding still in a job ?!!

Quite, although in her defense on this it doesn't mean the app isn't working it just means that these places aren't hotbeds of Covid. 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm guessing the yanks have issues with the Oxford vaccine

Though she's being silly to say Boris is going to make the approvals rush through.

I was just coming on here to add her comments, I don't get why they would not trust the UK as we have quite stringent measures surely??

The only thing I will say maybe they want to use their own as it will make their pharma more money, who knows..

Just now, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

Quite, although in her defense on this it doesn't mean the app isn't working it just means that these places aren't hotbeds of Covid. 

but surely a case would be traced back to those venues ?... if I had it ... then the gym I went to yesterday would get some kind of notification or the people that were there ... so id say an app fault ...

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

I was just coming on here to add her comments, I don't get why they would not trust the UK as we have quite stringent measures surely??

The only thing I will say maybe they want to use their own as it will make their pharma more money, who knows..

It’s America, if it can make money they’ll find any way to expose it 

1 minute ago, shoptildrop said:

They slow down the oxford one ... then their vaccines comes through as more of a success story ....

23 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

so you think it should be illegal to visit relatives and friends permanently like @deanoL suggested? 

I mean I didn't, I said articles like that are talking more broadly, and what they mean is probably won't have mosh pits back for a few years, but we'd be allowed to see family, etc.

It's just the principle of "don't get near too many people" that we might need to keep. Yes to hugging your grandkids, no to hugging strangers in pubs. Yes to seated gigs, no to gigs where you're rubbing up against strangers. Yes to public transport, no to being half an inch from someone's face in rush hour on the tube.

We will get our live back but some things will be a little different. I think standing gigs will be the main thing that bothers most people on here as it's hard to explain why they're necessary vs seated gigs to those that don't go to them themselves.

11 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

I’m so confused why it’s so low today. I was fully expecting over 20,000. Looking at how high scotland NI and wales are today england has only 10,000 cases, compared to 15,000+ yesterday? Seems suspicious.

Lower new cases but look at the deaths increasing :(

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I'm guessing the yanks have issues with the Oxford vaccine

Though she's being silly to say Boris is going to make the approvals rush through.

Yeah, it's nonsense. Complete politics and not even true. Sure, the UK leave the EMA at the end of December, but up until last year, the EMA was based in London and the UK was one of the major contributors to the standards employed there (and one of the main reasons the EMA wanted the UK just to stay a part of it). It's one area where the EU and the UK will align very quickly post-Brexit as the British Regulator is basically keeping all the current standards (they should, they probably wrote them!). The FDA and EMA are equally stringent, so this is really just pointless politicking (and not very intelligent at that, the Dems should know better, but all politicians have an idiot bone in there somewhere). Also, apart from any approval by UK regulators, the Oxford vaccine will be approved by the EMA too (on likely the same timeframe as the UK regulators since they are evaluating the data in real time), so it will have nothing to do with Boris. It's not unusual mind you for different jurisdictions to have different approvals (there's tons of drugs approved by the FDA that aren't by the EMA and vice versa), but thee are a bunch of reasons why that is (standard of care can vary with differing medical practices and a whole bunch of other reasons)...It's not impossible that the EMA don't approve the Oxford vaccine, it will be based on the data from the trials, but to suggest that the regulators are not up to the standard of the FDA is complete hogwash. 

4 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Yeah, it's nonsense. Complete politics and not even true. Sure, the UK leave the EMA at the end of December, but up until last year, the EMA was based in London and the UK was one of the major contributors to the standards employed there (and one of the main reasons the EMA wanted the UK just to stay a part of it). It's one area where the EU and the UK will align very quickly post-Brexit as the British Regulator is basically keeping all the current standards (they should, they probably wrote them!). The FDA and EMA are equally stringent, so this is really just pointless politicking (and not very intelligent at that, the Dems should know better, but all politicians have an idiot bone in there somewhere). Also, apart from any approval by UK regulators, the Oxford vaccine will be approved by the EMA too (on likely the same timeframe as the UK regulators since they are evaluating the data in real time), so it will have nothing to do with Boris. It's not unusual mind you for different jurisdictions to have different approvals (there's tons of drugs approved by the FDA that aren't by the EMA and vice versa), but thee are a bunch of reasons why that is (standard of care can vary with differing medical practices and a whole bunch of other reasons)...It's not impossible that the EMA don't approve the Oxford vaccine, it will be based on the data from the trials, but to suggest that the regulators are not up to the standard of the FDA is complete hogwash. 

Yeah. It seems to be just to have a go at Boris. As if he would overule the regulators over here!

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I mean I didn't, I said articles like that are talking more broadly, and what they mean is probably won't have mosh pits back for a few years, but we'd be allowed to see family, etc.

It's just the principle of "don't get near too many people" that we might need to keep. Yes to hugging your grandkids, no to hugging strangers in pubs. Yes to seated gigs, no to gigs where you're rubbing up against strangers. Yes to public transport, no to being half an inch from someone's face in rush hour on the tube.

We will get our live back but some things will be a little different. I think standing gigs will be the main thing that bothers most people on here as it's hard to explain why they're necessary vs seated gigs to those that don't go to them themselves.

I’m afraid socially distanced gigs just aren’t that viable. Say you want to go and see a mid sized band in the Brixton arena, you could have 5000 people paying £20 a head meaning the gig takes in £100k. Now, cut the capacity of the arena to (being very generous) 1000 to allow for table seating with 2m between tables. Are these 1000 people really willing to pay £100 each to sit at a table watching a mid sized band? I think it might happen as a very short lived fad among people who really miss gigs but it would die out very quickly when people realise they’re paying 5x the price for a much inferior product. 

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The deaths only tell us what happened 3-4 weeks back mind you. Case numbers are more indicative of the current picture. 

If deaths are increasing from the levels of new cases we had 3-4 weeks ago then you can imagine how they'll increase in 3-4 weeks time from the cases we have now. So they are still quite indicative of the situation.

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

ok so both myself and my sister have type 1 diabetes .... and my folks both 73 ... for some perspective about my thoughts on the vulnerable at this stage .... my parents aren't bothered but id rather not see them die from covid . so a choice about roast beef is a little more than that for me .... 

I’ve tried to call him on his questionable/distasteful choice of language but sadly he continues to use and treat this as one big game. Rest assured he appears to be the only treating it like that, no one else appears to be treating this as a game. He’s just trolling. 

Cases still really high today, up from 6,968 this time last week. I feel the new restrictions from the Government next week might be slightly late, but something needs to be done. 

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve tried to call him on his questionable/distasteful choice of language but sadly he continues to use and treat this as one big game. Rest assured he appears to be the only treating it like that, no one else appears to be treating this as a game. He’s just trolling. 

Cases still really high today, up from 6,968 this time last week. I feel the new restrictions from the Government next week might be slightly late, but something needs to be done. 

Remember last week’s number had missing tests