When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

39 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh god

Ironically, with Trumps attempts to sabotage postal voting, coupled with the high prevalence rates due to his completely reckless handling of the virus, she will likely have to do this!

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

How is it even possible to not know Scotland had a central belt? 

I’ve never heard the term before. I live right by the sea on the south coast of England and have only been to Scotland once in my life. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to not know one part of the country has a term for the region. 

Edited by Ozanne

4 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I’ve never heard the term before. I live right by the sea on the south coast of England and have only been to Scotland once in my life. I think it’s perfectly reasonable to not know one part of the country has a term for the region. 

I can second Ozanne here and say I didn't know Scotland was split up like this either!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

cases in Bristol have doubled in a week, from around 20 per 100k to over 40.

Students are just arriving back now. Will be an interesting one to watch.

Just prompted me to check. It's more than tripled in South Lakeland from last time I checked a couple of weeks ago. Up to 96/100k now. Looks like everyone from the north coming on their holidays might be starting to have an effect

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Geographically it’s known as the central lowlands and separated from the highlands and southern uplands by two fault lines. 

Thanks for explaining what it is rather than a snarky comment back. What’s the difference between the larger and smaller definitions? (Apart from being smaller and largest of course!)

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Literally the equivalent of me claiming I didn’t know Newcastle existed or something equally ridiculous.

Anyway, just over 14000 cases today.

It’s not ridiculous, it’s just someone not knowing an area was called a name. It’s such a non-event. It’s also nothing like the example you’ve provided because from what I’ve read here the Central belt isn’t a city.

1 minute ago, JoeyT said:

I can second Ozanne here and say I didn't know Scotland was split up like this either!

Have you heard of the Highlands?    Or the Borders?      Isnt England split into areas - geographically and/or politically?

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Thanks for explaining what it is rather than a snarky comment back. What’s the difference between the larger and smaller definitions? (Apart from being smaller and largest of course!)

It’s not ridiculous, it’s just someone not knowing an area was called a name. It’s such a non-event. It’s also nothing like the example you’ve provided because from what I’ve read here the Central belt isn’t a city.

As to the greater and larger definitions -  I didnt know it existed . I had to google it to figure out what areas were in an out of the pub restrictions.       

I agree the Newcastle comparison is not a good one -  better comparison woudl be if I hadnt heard of the Home Counties or the Peak District.

4 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

Have you heard of the Highlands?    Or the Borders?      Isnt England split into areas - geographically and/or politically?

I'm with @Ozanne and @JoeyT on this. I've heard of the Highlands and the borders but not the central belt. I expect there are various geographical areas of England I've never heard of too!

Beverley Hughes, the deputy mayor of Greater Manchester with responsibility for policing, said police are increasingly issuing fines at weddings which have more than 15 guests. She told reporters at a press conference:

I don’t know if it’s that people have put off weddings that were going to be in the spring and now think they’ve got to get on with it, but it almost feels as if the fines that people will get — the fixed penalty notices - are being factored in as a cost that people will bear in order to go ahead with their weddings.

As well as issuing fines to venues allowing too many guests, the police have the powers to enforce the wearing of face coverings at weddings, including to issue fines (fixed penalty notices) of £200, doubling for further breaches up to a maximum of £6,400.
Greater Manchester police had also attended a number of funerals so large they “needed their own policing operation”, Hughes said.