When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

thanks ... I will hold off using mine whilst I find that out ..... social distancing might just about allow 2 people in it ... :( and theres no way people will know without holding the door open ... so unless its bookable in time slots ill avoid 

To me it seems like they've reopened due to economic reasons rather than there being any evidence that they're safe.

15 minutes ago, SheffJeff said:

This is the article:

In new government guidelines, saunas and steam rooms have been given the go-ahead to reopen after more than six months closed. On average such facilities account for 40 percent of revenue for spas, although according to the UK Spa Association, this figure can be up to 75 percent.   
The UK has over 900 spa and wellness businesses, which together generate £2.1 billion and employ 45,000 people. Although popular, massages and facials are classed as ‘add-ons’ in spa settings. With many customers booking in for spa days without treatments, until now many businesses have had to weigh up the financial viability of opening up for treatments alone.  
Helena Grzesk, the general manager of the UK Spa Association said, “ We have waited several months to reopen saunas and steam rooms, and the prolonged closure has been detrimental and frustrating for the industry.   
“We wrote to the Prime Minister, Chancellor, Secretary of State for BEIS, Secretary of State for DCMS, and Chief Medical Officer on several occasions to request a reopening date and to further emphasise the evidence around the safety of saunas and steam rooms.”  
An integral part of any spa, saunas and steam rooms positively affects muscles, joints and bones. Heat can help to remove lactic acid, salt and urea from the body and facilitates the absorption of nutritional substances and oxygen. The heat also stimulates the immune system whilst steam opens and clears the respiratory system, unblocking sinuses and helping the client to breathe more freely.

No mention of why they are safe.

They are safe because they account for 40% to 75% of revenue for spas

• Upvote 1

I think you sauna people missed a trick this summer- you could have just put up your Glastonbury tents in the back garden on one of the many sunny days and had a lie down in it, you humidity-seeking gluttons for punishment! 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I think you sauna people missed a trick this summer- you could have just put up your Glastonbury tents in the back garden on one of the many sunny days and had a lie down in it, you humidity-seeking gluttons for punishment! 

its no good with fresh and black :) 

Number of people being admitted with covid in GM hospitals is actually going DOWN. 

But the numbers being diagnosed with it in hospitals are going up. 

Anyone know why that is? Poor infection control in hospitals? Already vulnerable people admitted with something else but already had it?

0_Admissions-Oct-7JPG.jpg

2 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

Number of people being admitted with covid in GM hospitals is actually going DOWN. 

But the numbers being diagnosed with it in hospitals are going up. 

Anyone know why that is? Poor infection control in hospitals? Already vulnerable people admitted with something else but already had it?

The sudden jump in covid patients in hospital the other day was apparently due to an outbreak inside the non-COVID ward of a hospital 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The sudden jump in covid patients in hospital the other day was apparently due to an outbreak inside the non-COVID ward of a hospital 

Interesting to know what that says about community transmission. If it's restricted to students in halls and a ward outbreak is the case as dire as being made out in the press? 

Although I think I'm being naively optimistic.

8 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

My wife works on a respiratory ward in a NW hospital and it’s certainly the latter in her experience. They have a regular uptick in respiratory related patients around this time of year anyway, and as they are now routinely testing all in patients, they are finding more positive cases in people without the classic ‘cough/temperature’ symptoms. They now have 3 designated COVID wards, but only 4 patients currently in ICU - with two COVID deaths recorded last week. 

Edited by st dan

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I thought hospitality was closing completely in the central belt, whereas alcohol was being banned in other areas? 

It's still not entirely clear.  I think drinking outdoor is still ok outside the central belt, but it's October so that's not much fun. 

I haven't been inside a pub for months,  tonight looks like a good opportunity.

1 minute ago, Lizzim said:

It's still not entirely clear.  I think drinking outdoor is still ok outside the central belt, but it's October so that's not much fun. 

Do you think any weather above 0 degrees will stop a Scotsman drinking outdoors? 

7 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

I would imagine everyone else might think the same :( 

• Like 1