When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Who was it who thought trump pretending to have covid would help him?

But hey, maybe the economy will sav...

Oppsie

I'm wondering what the hell he's going to do between losing the election and January. Is there a similar transition period for the Senate? Can he be prevented from fucking the place up properly in December?

7 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm wondering what the hell he's going to do between losing the election and January. Is there a similar transition period for the Senate? Can he be prevented from fucking the place up properly in December?

Senate and House take over very early January. 

There's about 8 weeks of lame duck sessions the senate could do stuff. That's mostly appointments to offices such as judges....

24 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

It needs to have something for educational establishments ... but I very much doubt anything will change there .... we will see . Don’t forget to get that Christmas shopping in ... 

Their stated strategy is the education is the last thing to that will close. So shops will close, even in a full stay home level lock down they'd keep schools open as long as possible.

32 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

7 day cases per 100k

Manchester 647

Nottingham 456

Sheffield 380

Blackpool 201

Nottingham in particular has gone completely through the roof since last weekend, so I think it's a big student cluster there

Amazing when you think that people have got to self isolate if they arrive from a country that goes over 20 per 100,000.

Seems a cheek really, they should be telling us to self isolate when we arrive in their country.

2 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Amazing when you think that people have got to self isolate if they arrive from a country that goes over 20 per 100,000.

Seems a cheek really, they should be telling us to self isolate when we arrive in their country.

I think Leicester was like 180 per 100k when it got fully nandos level 5 locked down, now 180 is around the England average

Edited by Fuzzy Afro

3 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

Do we think the gov are actually gonna do anything about these exponentially rising cases then? Or just let the virus run.

To me it seems like they are gonna let it run, they wanted to make it seem like they were going to do something with the rule of 6 and 10pm curfew and they keep saying wait to see the effect of these measures and local lockdown. Yet the cases keep rising as the lockdowns aren’t really lockdowns are they.

I think they’re done making any more efforts. Unless the hospitals get overwhelmed before there’s a vaccine we could be seeing 400/600 deaths a day and they won’t do anything. I think they’ve reached the extent of their intervention now to control this.

Would agree. I also get the sense that they are waiting to see how the deaths play out before doing anything substantial.

Most of the places that have had a genuine second wave have generally not seen the death rate bounce back to the same level as the first wave. I’m sure the understanding of the virus and treatment options  have helped massively but I’d also suggest that the fact that some countries did such a poor job the first time around in protecting their citizens means that those most vulnerable are already dead by the time the second wave arrives.

It’s still a rubbish strategy though and completely ignores the long term effects on those who recover, including the unknown of future chronic illness,  that hospitals will still fill up with those needing treatment and the effect this will have on other services but also the fact the Health Policy is Economic policy. You aren’t going to have a thriving, functioning economy when you have a relatively unknown contagious disease  spreading through the population especially one that is not underpinned by an efficient testing, contact tracing and isolation strategy.

• Upvote 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-54239538

Good article on the BBC asking whether cases are falling in local lockdown areas, its being cautiously optimistic compared to the national picture.

My local area has seen a small uptick in cases due to students coming to the University of East Anglia about 5 miles away however my brother attends and say they've put in place lots of measures to try and keep cases as low as possible 

Screenshot_20201007-073128_Chrome.jpg

6 hours ago, FestivalJamie said:

My local area seems to have a rate of 35 per 100k (seems quite high to me)

If you imagine the pyramid field jam packed and 35 of the people in that crowd had covid - the chances of you coming into contact with them is really slim isn't it? (I know they would give it to others but this is just an example to conceptualise just how many people 100k is and just how slim the odds of coming into close contact with one of 35 people is)

That's in a confined space if you think about a normal day at the moment and how many people you come into prolonged contact with the chances of getting it with numbers like that aren't worth losing sleep over. 

• Upvote 3

I come here every morning in the hope that someone refers to a 'breakthrough' or a vaccine. Alas not today. I am trying to avoid the news as there doesn't seem to be an end in sight, but I live in hope. 

These little bits of routine keep me going though, so thanks all.