When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yes this is exactly what happened to my partner's mother. She is 70 and was diagnosed with breast cancer (one of three cancer diagnoses in our lives this year - yay 2020) around lockdown time. They had to make the assessment that she was safer to wait to have treatment until things were safer at the hospital. She did and is now fine, thankfully. But that's not an easy decision to make and in itself is good motivation to keep cases down and out of hospital if we can.

I'm very relieved to hear about your partners mum- that must have been such a huge relief for your partner and you after such a worrying wait!

17 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Keep up the brilliant work you do. Must be so bloody hard at the best of times.

@Mr.Tease I couldn’t agree more or say it better myself!! You guys are amazing! 
@Zoo Music Girl its so hard not being able to see your friend! Tht was the hardest bit not physically being there but your friend does understand why and your texts calls and facetimes will mean so much to her!’ All the very best! 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I'm very relieved to hear about your partners mum- that must have been such a huge relief for your partner and you after such a worrying wait!

Thank you, yes it has been! I'm in a weird position where I can see both sides for cancer patients as I've had loved ones both have treatment being delayed and currently undergoing it. The answer to both to me is just to try to control the virus as much as we can until we get a vaccine.

And yeah I agonise about seeing her all the time. We nearly went this weekend but I felt a bit under the weather so didn't. Hope to soon but as the cases rise it feels more and more reckless :(

3 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

@Mr.Tease I couldn’t agree more or say it better myself!! You guys are amazing! 
@Zoo Music Girl its so hard not being able to see your friend! Tht was the hardest bit not physically being there but your friend does understand why and your texts calls and facetimes will mean so much to her!’ All the very best! 

Thank you. You're right of course, it's a shit situation, but technology does help! 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah was going to ask this too. All the signs point to the fact we will have one early next year.

There’s a pretty worrying amount of media talk that social distancing may not be relaxed if only the vulnerable are vaccinated. I was hoping that if we could bring the IFR and hospitalisation rate down by vaccinating the vulnerable we could be a lot more relaxed about letting the virus spread around endemically. Obviously there’s still the long covid concern, but we don’t have enough evidence that long covid is prevalent enough that it would warrant social distancing to still be in place. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

There’s a pretty worrying amount of media talk that social distancing may not be relaxed if only the vulnerable are vaccinated. I was hoping that if we could bring the IFR and hospitalisation rate down by vaccinating the vulnerable we could be a lot more relaxed about letting the virus spread around endemically. Obviously there’s still the long covid concern, but we don’t have enough evidence that long covid is prevalent enough that it would warrant social distancing to still be in place. 

vaccine rollout and the moving into spring and through the flu season will hopefully make things easier resrtiction wise , 

7 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

you know how long it normally takes to develop, test and rollout a new vaccine?

Not until some point during the last 6 months. Surprisingly in the past 31 years of my existence I've never had a pandemic to increase my knowledge in that area!

9 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It's not just about what the government think is okay at that point though. If people don't feel comfortable going out, they won't anyway. There's a balance to be had in terms of if the economy will recover better if pubs and such can run at full capacity like before, but that puts people off going, versus keeping some sort of distancing which gives people the comfort to actually take the risk.

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

vaccine rollout and the moving into spring and through the flu season will hopefully make things easier resrtiction wise , 

yes, spring will be wonderful, as we emerge from our caves after a long winter of hibernation, and embrace each other and sing and dance with joy and elation. Then we'll realise there's fuck all to eat because of brexit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

yes, spring will be wonderful, as we emerge from our caves after a long winter of hibernation, and embrace each other and sing and dance with joy and elation. Then we'll realise there's fuck all to eat because of brexit.

thats January .... hopefully by march we have found the supplies we have buried in preparation 

44 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

If this is how it goes, then the conspiracy theories around it being about control etc would start to sound a lot more realistic. 

We're only doing this to save lives so if those most vulnerable are protected yet we still have to carry on with it all, that would show there's something else at work 

My self preservation way of dealing with this is to assume we aren't ever going back to how things were in terms of social lives and travel, and that if we do it's a bonus. 

Edited by efcfanwirral