When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

It infuriates me Boris Johnson and Co have had the cheek to announce people need to adapt and change and we can't go back to how they were- they were the ones telling people not to work from home anymore and had to fulfil their duty by returning to the workplace 🤬

• Upvote 1

@JoeyT just looked at the case per 100,000 here and its 35 ...... we aren't doing quite so well now :( , I know you were advocating less stringent measures for the south west  .... we are of course much lower than most areas but 10 days ago my area was 0-2 cases per 100,000 . have your thoughts changed ? 

9 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Plus as the 'its just flu' brigade seem to continuously 'forget', the issue is if its left unchecked, it overloads the nhs which would lead to a catastrophic rise in deaths because no one can get treatment for anything. I'm getting fed up of having to keep bringing this up. 

Yeah it baffles me, the flu argument had a teeny amount of weight at the beginning of lockdown, because deaths at that point were much lower than flu on an average year. - But since then covid deaths have shot past the highest recorded flu deaths in a year, excess deaths is well above average, the fact about long covid and how death isn't the only metric to measuring how badly the virus has hurt people. 

Not to mention you can get vaccinated for flu at the moment. 

But yet at every stage of the pandemic you get "This is just a flu." It's so annoying to keep repeating the same obvious points to people making argument about covid not being bad, more because they want it to be over, rather than any actual scientific basis 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Yeah it baffles me, the flu argument had a teeny amount of weight at the beginning of lockdown, because deaths at that point were much lower than flu on an average year. - But since then covid deaths have shot past the highest recorded flu deaths in a year, excess deaths is well above average, the fact about long covid and how death isn't the only metric to measuring how badly the virus has hurt people. 

Not to mention you can get vaccinated for flu at the moment. 

But yet at every stage of the pandemic you get "This is just a flu." It's so annoying to keep repeating the same obvious points to people making argument about covid not being bad, more because they want it to be over, rather than any actual scientific basis 

In the phrase "This is just flu." I have a much bigger issue with the word "just" than the word "flu" a novel flu pandemic is just as horrifying a prospect as this coronavirus one.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

In the phrase "This is just flu." I have a much bigger issue with the word "just" than the word "flu" a novel flu pandemic is just as horrifying a prospect as this coronavirus one.

We had a worldwide flu pandemic less than 12 years ago and one-in-four people in the world got it. No one batted an eyelid. 

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

We had a worldwide flu pandemic less than 12 years ago and one-in-four people in the world got it. No one batted an eyelid. 

13 minutes ago, mcshed said:

20 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I see Matt Hancock is threatening cancer patients to pull the plug on their treatment if the virus continues worsening. What an odious c**t.

They have to because otherwise people being treated for cancer will die from covid-19 because the chemo suppresses their immune system, and if covid-19 is highly prevalent, there is a high chance they'll catch it visiting the hospital. It's not done out of spite- this is the consequence of allowing covid-19 to spread to keep pubs etc open.

20 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

It's actually kind of worrying that despite this govt being fuckin useless the tories don't drop below 40%...almost as if that's their floor.

It's their floor unless they cancel/'betray' Brexit - yes 42% of voters really are fine with everything else going to s***!

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/electoral-college-interactive-maps

CNN has called 269 electoral votes to Biden already. Trump literally needs to win every single swing state to tie the electoral college in which case it goes to the house of representatives.

Of these:

Florida has Biden 2%-3% up in the polls, so fairly conceivable Trump could win it

Biden is 5% ahead in Pennsylvania, Trump would need a very good night to win there. He hasn't led a single poll since July

Trump ahead in Ohio by the skin of his teeth

Biden is very marginally ahead in Georgia but I'll believe Georgia votes blue when I see it. I think Trump will hold on.

North Carolina has Biden marginally ahead is usually votes Republican but compared to Georgia I feel way more confident about Biden getting it. Feels like he's personally popular in the Carolinas.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

They have to because otherwise people being treated for cancer will die from covid-19 because the chemo suppresses their immune system, and if covid-19 is highly prevalent, there is a high chance they'll catch it visiting the hospital. It's not done out of spite- this is the consequence of allowing covid-19 to spread to keep pubs etc open.

And if you stop their cancer treatment, they'll definitely die. Surely taking their chances of maybe getting covid is less dangerous than the guaranteed death sentence that is pulling the plug on cancer treatment? Stop defending Matt Hancock.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Ah yes, comes back to what you mentioned earlier that a lot of the vulnerable groups had contracted that same strain in 1918 and had the antibodies

Anyone who had Spanish Flu when they were a newborn baby in 1918 would have been 91 in 2009 when Swine Flu hit. 

There really weren’t that many people who lived through both. 

25 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Yep and as someone with a friend undergoing chemo currently this scares the shit out of me. She's in and out of hospital all the time.