When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Edit: I mean adapt the vaccine sorry. @Toilet Duckwill know!

@Field Commander Jefferson  @Fuzzy Afro

Yes, flu changes every year by what we call "genetic drift"...basically small changes that make the virus look at bit different to our immune systems. From time to time, the virus adds in an entirely new bit (picked up from another species usually, hence "swine" flu and "avian" flu) and undergoes what is known as "genetic shift". When these big shifts happen is when we get most big pandemics. The 1918 flu was as a result of this. There are multiple strains of flu that circulate every year. Each year they are typed and a new vaccine is developed based on the prevalent strains. It's not "Spanish flu" that kills people each year, it's just flu (and different strains of it at that, both in the same year in different places and from year to year). The H1N1 refers to the major antigens on the surface of the virus (the H is for haemagglutinin on the surface, the N is neuraminidase). There are different H/N combinations on the surface of the virus (which is how we subtype them) and these are the most recognisable parts for our immune systems, hence these are often the things that change when we get a big shift. The "swine flu" in 2008 was of the H1N1 subtype, which is the same subtype as "Spanish flu" in 1918, but it's not the same virus, just the same subtype (which is why there was such a panic when it emerged as the predominant strain in 2008...luckily, prior exposure to similar strains in the highest risk population (some of them in their 90s were young kids when H1N1 hit in 1918) and years of vaccination protected them and while an estimated 1.5 billion people were infected, fatality rates were pretty low compared to what they might have been). 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The more I think about it, losing 16000 positive tests down the back of the sofa might be the most be the most ridiculous fuck up our government has made since the start of the pandemic.

Although it’s a close run thing. Sending infected patients back to care homes takes the silver medal after a photo finish. And then I’ll give the bronze to not quarantining flights from the initial hotspots like Wuhan, Northern Italy, Madrid and Iran. 

It's not even close, the care home thing is much worse.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's not even close, the care home thing is much worse.

Could argue that the care home thing meant that the NHS wasn’t overwhelmed which would have meant a lot of deaths of people in the 40s-60s whereas sending infected patients to cate homes meant more of the deaths were 80+. So for that one mitigating factor, I’ll still give the gold medal to the recent fuckup which led to 50,000 close contacts of people who tested positive running amok in society instead of self isolating. But it’s a photo finish as I said. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Could argue that the care home thing meant that the NHS wasn’t overwhelmed which would have meant a lot of deaths of people in the 40s-60s whereas sending infected patients to cate homes meant more of the deaths were 80+. So for that one mitigating factor, I’ll still give the gold medal to the recent fuckup which led to 50,000 close contacts of people who tested positive running amok in society instead of self isolating. But it’s a photo finish as I said. 

are they awarding medals now? How nice.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This isn’t a game, these are people’s lives we’re talking about here. The way you speak about parts of this virus shows no empathy whatsoever. 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

85% of the time I agree with you completely and 15% of the time I think you might be a troll... to me this is one of the 15% comments.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Haven't you always said that basically no-one in their 40s-60s dies of the disease? 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Just had a debate about this, he clearly responds to a question where the interviewer is talking about the music industry. Q: "you are essentially saying go and get a different job" Rishi " that's fresh and new opportunities for people, that's exactly what we should be doing"

So i dont think these article were misrepresenting what rishi said in the interview, at least not to a degree that requires correcting