When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

On 10/2/2020 at 1:22 AM, gizmoman said:

And yet we lived in a world where the flu virus killed people every year and we accepted it, and that was with a viable vaccine, this year despite the "surprise attack"  of covid the flu has still killed about the same number of people, we really need to get this into perspective, Covid isn't as bad as is being portrayed (and I understand it can leave people with long term issues) and the responses to it are improving all the time, with increased understanding, better treatment and sensible public awareness we can live with this even without a vaccine and without being prisoners to it.

3 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Who's with Donald...?

Guilty as charged!

Student drug deaths: Four young people die in North East

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54413820

Professor Fiona Measham, chair in criminology at Liverpool University and co-founder of the harm-reduction charity The Loop, said she believed lockdown restrictions were of "concern".

"Particularly because nightclubs are closed and the pubs are closing early," she told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"I think the reason it's a concern about nightclubs in particular is that nightclubs often have paramedics, they have harm-reduction services and they have security staff that help keep people safe.

"So if you close the nightclubs, you lose that safety net."

Can you blame lockdown? Or would this have happened anyway if there is a bad batch going around.

5 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-54413820

Professor Fiona Measham, chair in criminology at Liverpool University and co-founder of the harm-reduction charity The Loop, said she believed lockdown restrictions were of "concern".

"Particularly because nightclubs are closed and the pubs are closing early," she told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"I think the reason it's a concern about nightclubs in particular is that nightclubs often have paramedics, they have harm-reduction services and they have security staff that help keep people safe.

"So if you close the nightclubs, you lose that safety net."

Can you blame lockdown? Or would this have happened anyway if there is a bad batch going around.

Absolute nonsense to blame this on lockdown. 

Youngsters will take their pink tables or whatever pill is in favour at the minute. They’ll do so regardless of whether it’s a gaff party or they’re sneaking them into nightclubs in their socks.

The only argument I could maybe accept is that nightclubs can have first aiders to try and prevent someone actually dying once they’ve taken a dodgy Christian Benteke

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Yeah, I too think it's a bit of a reach to blame this on lockdown. As noted above - students have always taken drugs in clubs, or in their flats or shared houses. It's not new.

I suppose you MIGHT be able to argue that some more people might opt to take drugs to 'liven things up', in the absence of actual late night venues.. but then I personally would assume that anyone willing to take drugs to do that, was always going to take them anyway.

18 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Drugs have worn off.

That is the divide for rest of campaign, vote republican if think covid19 is not the immediate priority, democrat if otherwise.

The 'its just a flu' vote is a small one...

Telling over 65s who have suffered most from covid that you shouldn’t be afraid of the virus is clearly the biggest own goal of all time especially as they are much more likely to vote .

His joyride and then bizarre appearance at the WH which ended with a maskless Trump entering the WH should go down in history as the moment voters said enough and which hopefully cements his election loss in a landslide

8 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Also for reference around 700,000 people die every year worldwide from Spanish Flu (influenza)

Don't think the seasonal flu that kills all those people every year is called Spanish flu. That was the name given to the influenza pandemic in 1918.

The main difference is this coronavirus is more infectious, and has the potential to kill more people...but hopefully overtime we will have vaccines and other treatments and it will become just another virus that takes out some people every year but doesn't overrun health services.

Just now, steviewevie said:

Don't think the seasonal flu that kills all those people every year is called Spanish flu. That was the name given to the influenza pandemic in 1918.

The main difference is this coronavirus is more infectious, and has the potential to kill more people...but hopefully overtime we will have vaccines and other treatments and it will become just another virus that takes out some people every year but doesn't overrun health services.

The strain of flu that people die from is still the same Spanish flu strain.

I think we've been so conditioned to focus on the coronavirus that we've lost sight of the bigger picture and how small the actual numbers are. 0.7 per million in the UK.

The more I think about it, losing 16000 positive tests down the back of the sofa might be the most be the most ridiculous fuck up our government has made since the start of the pandemic.

Although it’s a close run thing. Sending infected patients back to care homes takes the silver medal after a photo finish. And then I’ll give the bronze to not quarantining flights from the initial hotspots like Wuhan, Northern Italy, Madrid and Iran. 

Just now, Field Commander Jefferson said:

I think we've been so conditioned to focus on the coronavirus that we've lost sight of the bigger picture and how small the actual numbers are. 0.7 per million in the UK.

Am I right in saying the swine flu of 2009 and the Spanish flu were the exact same virus? H1N1. 

1 minute ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Is it? Pretty sure flu changes very year, so they adapt the virus every year.

The issue is not just about deaths, it is about hospital capacity.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

If he can stay alive until November 3 it will have the same effect. This is a ploy to minimise the influence of Covid in voters minds - it can’t be that bad if the president survived it.

They will keep him up like a scarecrow right through the process. Joe Biden’s biggest ace in the hole is trumps failure with COVID. They are trying to aggressively take it on.

I'm sorry but I still don't get how video of him finding it hard to breath qualifies as "a ploy to minimise the influence of Covid in voters minds". How will that work?

29 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Also for reference around 700,000 people die every year worldwide from Spanish Flu (influenza)

For reference it would help to have that expressed in the same way. 700,000 a year if you assume a population of 7 billion for ease is 100 per million a year so 0.27 per million daily average.

So the situation in America is currently almost 10 times worse than flu and even here with all the mitigating measures we have in place we're over double that daily rate and it's rising. Not to mention it was much worse at its peak.

Edited by mcshed
Cocked up numbers.
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Field Commander Jefferson said:

Current daily mortality rate per million people

Brazil 3 per Million

Mexico 2.9

USA 2

UK 0.7 per million

Italy 0.3 per million

DEATHSPERMILION.jpg

You're comparing daily deaths per country per million to total deaths per year worldwide.

5 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

The issue is not just about deaths, it is about hospital capacity.

The issues with capacity were potentially only during that first bump when everyone who was sadly  extremely susceptible to the virus were affected at once. That was the whole idea of flattening the curve for three weeks.

That's why we had the huge spike early on and why flu is killing people at a much larger rate than the virus is now.

Displaced mortality meant that all those deaths predominantly concerning those with other chronic illnesses/vulnerabilities sadly happened at once

Cases are way up again but deaths thankfully have hardly risen in relation to that increase

Edited by Field Commander Jefferson