When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, steviewevie said:

do you not think there may be more immunity in London because there was so much of it there in the 1st wave?

You'd expect that spread would slow according to the prevalence of available hosts, so that makes sense to me.  I'm fairly certain that we can rule out reinfection as being more than a tiny statistical outlier based on the evidence.

3 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Trump's Press Sec has now tested positive. She was tested every day since Thursday but only today showed as positive. I hope Biden stays in the clear.

Yeah, I'm worried about Biden getting it, fingers crossed he's okay (not because I'm a fan of his, but we need him to defeat Trump)

23 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

There are several things that prove he’s just a c**t ... he is the pms dad so he could just ring him for some clarity :) ... this is the third photo that’s been taken without him wearing a mask ... so maybe if he’s in any doubt it might just be worth him doing some research or looking around him ? You could also say pippa is out to get him .. but if he wears one he gives no ammunition ... bloody idiot police have to investigate him now 

Boris doesn't know the rules either! Don't really want to defend him but he is clearly wearing the mask, just not the way it should be worn! In any case this is hardly his worst crime if the papers this weekend are anything to go by.

14 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

I've been saying this for a little while, and presented data last week that shows this. Our 2nd wave appears to be like Italy's first as in its centred on a specific area.

London might have been as bad or worse than Manchester is now, but we just didn't have the data to show it. Isn't the city in Italy it was centred around predominantly industrial?

8 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Boris doesn't know the rules either! Don't really want to defend him but he is clearly wearing the mask, just not the way it should be worn! In any case this is hardly his worst crime if the papers this weekend are anything to go by.

Hence the smiley after that sentence :) 

2 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Is it just me or have they not updated the hospitalisation figures for a while now?

They are still updating them, rose by 154 yesterday, so that pace is still slowing a little and not related to testing and result reporting issues.

10 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

no, agreed there...it really isn't...but he's their target at the moment it seems.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I reckon Trump will get himself discharged to the White House and die there.

He’s been for his drive and clearly his eyesight isn’t working because it’s not a clever move to be signing blank prices of paper ... so yeah all’s fine ... he will be out today ... his tweets are gonna be interesting ... 

18 minutes ago, Ozanne said:

Trump's Press Sec has now tested positive. She was tested every day since Thursday but only today showed as positive. I hope Biden stays in the clear.

He was bright enough to stay distanced and masked mostly hopefully that should be enough ...fingers crossed 

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ireland ignoring the advice to go to stage 5, goign to go to stage 3 instead

It was a big jump to be fair. Most of the country has been at level 2 up to now, so to jump straight to level 5 was a tough ask...we may get there in increments should increasing restrictions not work, but Dublin has been at level 3 for a couple of weeks. Cases haven't gone down, but they haven't really gone up either (still around 200 per day...they were rising a bit more a couple of weeks ago, but pretty flat for the last week). It's ICU capacity that has them spooked (even though only 7% of beds are being used by COVID patients at the moment, ICUs are full of non-COVID patients and there are only about 20 odd regular ICU beds available nationally).  Back in April they had capacity for about 400 COVID patients in ICU and locked down at 80 occupied with a doubling rate of 1 week (so projected to be nearing capacity within 2 weeks)...at the moment it hasn't been filling up as quickly (there's 23 in ICU nationally at the moment), but infection rates in over 65s have doubled in the last few weeks, so they are worried. The hospitals have escalation plans though and claim that there are about 1000 ventilator beds than can be used (ICU, HDU, post-op recovery rooms converted to ICU beds etc), so it probably makes sense to use those plans rather than lock the country down again (even though level 5 is not like an April style lockdown). First time the government has rejected guidance from NPHET, however, it's a new government!

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I absolutely recommend it. I even made my husband read it and he's usually a strictly murder mystery kind of guy. He even said it was incredibly accessible for such a heavy topic. 

Just bought it ta. My mate got a copy too!

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Interesting question about people who are routinely tested (e.g. sports athletes, politicians etc)

So I know there’s a time lag between when you catch covid, and when you would show up as positive on a test. Some think it’s 4-5 days.

Theres also a lag between catching it and becoming contagious. It’s roughly 48 hours before your symptoms show, but unclear when you become contagious if you never get symptoms.

My question is, can you be contagious before you show up as positive on a test? 

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Interesting question about people who are routinely tested (e.g. sports athletes, politicians etc)

So I know there’s a time lag between when you catch covid, and when you would show up as positive on a test. Some think it’s 4-5 days.

Theres also a lag between catching it and becoming contagious. It’s roughly 48 hours before your symptoms show, but unclear when you become contagious if you never get symptoms.

My question is, can you be contagious before you show up as positive on a test? 

That’s the million dollar question! The rapid tests detect intact virus (mostly), so you have to assume you are capable of passing it on at that stage if you test positive (about 15 hours before symptoms seems to be the median time of pre-symptomatic infectiousness). Negative on those tests suggests an undetectable level of intact virus, so less likely to be infectious. The problem with the White House is they test them every day, but then they go off all over the place and interact with people outside and with little or no mitigation.  They also haven’t isolated or taken any of the advice to restrict movements after a close contact, so it’s a lesson in how not to use testing to control things!

• Like 2