When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

:( I'm gonna love next year when we come out of lockdown and I want to go to sports,  gigs, films, festivals and the theatre to celebrate but they have all closed down and the only activity you can do in the UK is shop and eat, and also I can't do any activities cause I'm broke and depressed. 201 here we come

FUCK THE TORIES

Is this a literal culture war? Sounds like there won't be any left!

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Yeah, I'm not unhappy about cinema pricing.  Last time I went to the pictures we paid a fiver each at a Vue cinema. A friend went to a midnight screening of the same film the night before at a boutique place where he paid £34 for the ticket and had a spacious comfy recliner chair and meals and drinks brought to him on request.  He was happy to pay the premium for that experience and I have no problem with cinemas expanding their offering to provide more than just a bog standard experience.

When I go to the cinema I do so for the sound, the atmosphere and the big screen experience.  Watching a film as a communal experience where the whole audience ahhhs and laughs and react together is well worth paying a premium for.  I love watching a decent film at home (got a nice big 4k hdr set and sweet hifi setup) and there are few films I've watched on a big screen that I haven't chosen to watch again at home, but that communal experience, that's what I love best, the same reason I prefer to attend gigs than watch them on youtube (I still watch a lot of gig footage on youtube just the same).

I like going to the movies as my attention span doesn't seem to be up to much at home. Nice to turn your phone off for a few hours!

I think the "Joker" was the last film I watched at the cinema. Sweet jesus what a film by the way.

I struggle to find films which grab my attention enough to make me want to go to the cinema these days. Especially as i've never been in to the Marvel, Star Wars and so on franchises.

Just now, Homer said:

Is this a literal culture war? Sounds like there won't be any left!

Yes. It’s a Tory dream (or is it Cummings?) of a cultureless society...
Odd as Johnson is a fan of the arts but seen a few articles saying they are determined to silence any haters who have a platform.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I like going to the movies as my attention span doesn't seem to be up to much at home. Nice to turn your phone off for a few hours!

My phone has now been on silent for 7 years.  I heartily recommend it.  I leave it somewhere out of sight and forget about it's existence.  I find them intrusive and use mine only for alarm clock, the occasional text or phone call and a bit of post-sarnie browsing on my lunch break at work.

2 minutes ago, Spindles said:

My phone has now been on silent for 7 years.  I heartily recommend it.  I leave it somewhere out of sight and forget about it's existence.  I find them intrusive and use mine only for alarm clock, the occasional text or phone call and a bit of post-sarnie browsing on my lunch break at work.

I did a New Years Resolution to read more books to stop my endless reading of shite on social media. I still probably do too much reading of shite on social media but I am on my 48th book of the year and have thoroughly enjoyed it especially as work has been so shit and news etc has obviously been so shit. 

10 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Yes. It’s a Tory dream (or is it Cummings?) of a cultureless society...
Odd as Johnson is a fan of the arts but seen a few articles saying they are determined to silence any haters who have a platform.

What's the theory, that it's because most creatives are lefties? What sort of dickhead would want to remove all culture?! We're kind of actually world-leading on that too!

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I did a New Years Resolution to read more books to stop my endless reading of shite on social media. I still probably do too much reading of shite on social media but I am on my 48th book of the year and have thoroughly enjoyed it especially as work has been so shit and news etc has obviously been so shit. 

That's funny, I did the same resolution last year - think I read about 20; 48 is v good going!

My resolution in Jan was to go to Fabric, Ministry, The Egg, XOYO and Lightbox this year. That one is not going so well!

9 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I made the same resolution! My aim is to read 52 books in a year; currently (just about) on track at 38, if I read one more book per week for the rest of the year.

I also downloaded an app that keeps a timer on the screen as I use my phone. I'm down to a pretty consistent > 1.5hrs a day, which has been a vast improvement. 

2 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I probably read about 3 or 4 books a year.

What I did last year was deliberately read three really 'easy' books in Jan (one of them was Alan Car's autobiography) and then my brain kicked back in and I was up and running.

5 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I made the same resolution! My aim is to read 52 books in a year; currently (just about) on track at 38, if I read one more book per week for the rest of the year.

I also downloaded an app that keeps a timer on the screen as I use my phone. I'm down to a pretty consistent > 1.5hrs a day, which has been a vast improvement. 

Oh, that sounds interesting. What’s the app called?

14 minutes ago, Homer said:

What's the theory, that it's because most creatives are lefties? What sort of dickhead would want to remove all culture?! We're kind of actually world-leading on that too!

Because those lefties will call them out on their actions... 

It’s incredible they’re throwing this away - especially when you consider the money it brings in.

16 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Apparently Trump wants to leave the hospital because he is worried it makes him look weak.

It absolutely does make him look weak. That’s why they’ve been so keen to emphasise that he’s doing well, much like with Johnson earlier in the year. Last thing you want is a world leader looking weak. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It absolutely does make him look weak. That’s why they’ve been so keen to emphasise that he’s doing well, much like with Johnson earlier in the year. Last thing you want is a world leader looking weak. 

wrong signal. You are not weak if you get badly ill from coronavirus. It's such macho bullshit.

• Upvote 3

I don't read as many as I'd like to at the moment.  I worked nights in a call centre for years (now work evenings) and read between calls, so I could go through a ridiculous amount of books per year.  Since moving from nights it's busier and my role now involves answering emails mostly so I don't get as much time, but last year I read the entire Terry Pratchett catalogue again in order and perhaps a dozen or so others.  This year has been crap though, I've probably only read 4 or 5 books and that was at the start of the year when I was in the office.