When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

Just now, Fuzzy Afro said:

I see pretty much no reason why a cinema would be a serious vector of infection. Of course I’ll be avoiding them for the foreseeable future, mainly because they’re overpriced and I can recreate the experience at home for a fraction of the price. 

They are for sure safer than pubs restaurants and supermarkets. 

But for example you can still sit directly behind someone without a mask on, eating popcorn with a broken air conditioner. 

I think the main reason we don't see many outbreaks at cinemas is because the audience numbers have been very very low due to barely any big blockbusters out. If the screens were packed, even with social distancing I could see a lot more outbreaks. It's kinda a catch 22. They can remain open if they are low audiences and safe, but can't remain open because there's not enough audience.

11 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Cineworld are closing Friday, Odeon are reducing hours to weekends early, the cases are rising and there's no movies out. 

Bojo: please go to the cinem 

I said this the other day. I wanted to go on Friday but there wasn't anything to actually watch! They were still showing Unhinged which came out when they reopened, I saw it months ago.

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

They are for sure safer than pubs restaurants and supermarkets. 

But for example you can still sit directly behind someone without a mask on, eating popcorn with a broken air conditioner. 

I think the main reason we don't see many outbreaks at cinemas is because the audience numbers have been very very low due to barely any big blockbusters out. If the screens were packed, even with social distancing I could see a lot more outbreaks. It's kinda a catch 22. They can remain open if they are low audiences and safe, but can't remain open because there's not enough audience.

I thought cinemas had to distance you at 2m between you and other groups AND you need to wear a mask unless you’re actually eating or drinking? If you’re distanced, the risk is very low. If you’re distanced AND masked the risk is even lower. 

The only real risk of cinemas I guess is if you go with your mates in a group of 6 and sit together as a group, you won’t be distanced, even if you aren’t the same household. But that’s a key flaw of the rule of 6 in all settings, not just cinemas.

I’m not sure why you think supermarkets aren’t safe? They’re pretty much the safest indoor environment that exists. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I thought cinemas had to distance you at 2m between you and other groups AND you need to wear a mask unless you’re actually eating or drinking? If you’re distanced, the risk is very low. If you’re distanced AND masked the risk is even lower. 

The only real risk of cinemas I guess is if you go with your mates in a group of 6 and sit together as a group, you won’t be distanced, even if you aren’t the same household. But that’s a key flaw of the rule of 6 in all settings, not just cinemas.

I’m not sure why you think supermarkets aren’t safe? They’re pretty much the safest indoor environment that exists. 

I've been to the cinema a fair bit and they're never that busy, so it's quite easy to sit miles away from anyone. Most people seem to take their mask off when seated (I'll admit to doing that despite generally ticking to the rules).

Just now, Homer said:

I said this the other day. I wanted to go on Friday but there wasn't anything to actually watch! They were still showing Unhinged which came out when they reopened, I saw it months ago.

Yep, essentially, Warner Brothers encouraged cinemas to open to show Tenet, thinking it will be a massive success and safe cinema. But obviously we're still in a pandemic and Tenet isn't a tried franchise known to get buts in seats. It did okay in the UK, but not nearly enough to break even in the US and Internationally and then other studios saw this and delayed all their films, Warner Brother have essentially killed the industry they said they were trying to save by encouraging chains to open in july and august. Interesting to note that these studios says they are saving cinemas, but took unorthodox huge cuts of the box office from the cinemas, moreso than in normal time and have offered no help to cinemas since tenet. 

So they are more to blame than james bond, as everyone is saying in the press, it's just that james bond was the last to delay. 

That being said, the government were encouraging cinemas to open to and have provided them with no help 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I've been to the cinema a fair bit and they're never that busy, so it's quite easy to sit miles away from anyone. Most people seem to take their mask off when seated (I'll admit to doing that despite generally ticking to the rules).

The thing with masks is that they’re only really helpful when you can’t be 2m away from people, it’s just easier for the government to say they’re mandatory in a particular setting because if you start relying on common sense then a lot of people will stop wearing them.

Say you’re on a long distance train and there’s no one down your end of the carriage, it’s technically illegal to remove your mask but from a virus spreading point of view you might as well remove it.

I don’t think removing your mask in a half empty cinema is morally wrong. 

The thing with masks is that they’re only really helpful when you can’t be 2m away from people, it’s just easier for the government to say they’re mandatory in a particular setting because if you start relying on common sense then a lot of people will stop wearing them.

Say you’re on a long distance train and there’s no one down your end of the carriage, it’s technically illegal to remove your mask but from a virus spreading point of view you might as well remove it.

Um first the first part isn't true masks are important for reducing transmission of a virus indoors, no matter how many the person is. 

The second thing is obviously the whole "just sit far away from someone" is stupid, because like I said, only works if the cinema isn't busy, people can't sit beside you but they can seat directly in front or behind and if every screening is empty enough to not sit near someone the cinema isn't going to be making enough money to stay open. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Yep, essentially, Warner Brothers encouraged cinemas to open to show Tenet, thinking it will be a massive success and safe cinema. But obviously we're still in a pandemic and Tenet isn't a tried franchise known to get buts in seats. It did okay in the UK, but not nearly enough to break even in the US and Internationally and then other studios saw this and delayed all their films, Warner Brother have essentially killed the industry they said they were trying to save by encouraging chains to open in july and august. Interesting to note that these studios says they are saving cinemas, but took unorthodox huge cuts of the box office from the cinemas, moreso than in normal time and have offered no help to cinemas since tenet. 

So they are more to blame than james bond, as everyone is saying in the press, it's just that james bond was the last to delay. 

That being said, the government were encouraging cinemas to open to and have provided them with no help 

I'm pretty sure the fact that you prob need a degree in physics to get the plot becoming public knowledge  didn't help. My wife really didn't want to go see it, despite being a Cineworld card holder and we went to see Inception at the IMAX the other week.

Just now, Spindles said:

Please please please don't mention anything about the plot of Tenet in this thread, btw, I'm waiting patiently for such a time as I can watch it on a decent screen at home.

I second this. I haven't seen it yet despite (now formally) working at a cinema and didn't really feel safe enough to watch movies in the cinema in my spare time when here's so much to watch at home.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

you remove your mask then the next person does .... and then cinemas get busier and people aren't wearing masks because they didnt the last time  ...  and covid has a party in the cinema ... Masks are a pain but not impossible we need to get over this ... They have the potential to save someones life or stop someone becoming ill .... it will protect others and protect you whatever the distance ... 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ace56blaa said:

Um first the first part isn't true masks are important for reducing transmission of a virus indoors, no matter how many the person is. 

The second thing is obviously the whole "just sit far away from someone" is stupid, because like I said, only works if the cinema isn't busy, people can't sit beside you but they can seat directly in front or behind and if every screening is empty enough to not sit near someone the cinema isn't going to be making enough money to stay open. 

I thought the cinemas could only sell enough tickets such that social distancing can be maintained?

3 minutes ago, Spindles said:

Please please please don't mention anything about the plot of Tenet in this thread, btw, I'm waiting patiently for such a time as I can watch it on a decent screen at home.

Luckily I didn't understand it enough yo explain whatever it was anyway. I hope you enjoy!

• Upvote 1

I thought the cinemas could only sell enough tickets such that social distancing can be maintained?

There's no capacity limit, there just don't let you sit next to other people, but like i said you can seat directly behind or in front, which is only just a metre distance

I cancelled my Cineworld membership a month ago. I've had it well over 10 years. Felt a bit sad. However, now I don't go to an office any more my nearest cinema is a 45 min drive away, despite living in the centre of south London. I was going to replace with an Odeon membership today - but think I might leave it for now.

23 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I see pretty much no reason why a cinema would be a serious vector of infection. Of course I’ll be avoiding them for the foreseeable future, mainly because they’re overpriced and I can recreate the experience at home for a fraction of the price. 

How is a cinema ticket overpriced?

I cancelled my Cineworld membership a month ago. I've had it well over 10 years. Felt a bit sad. However, now I don't go to an office any more my nearest cinema is a 45 min drive away, despite living in the centre of south London. I was going to replace with an Odeon membership today - but think I might leave it for now.

yeah i wouldn't bother, only indie cinemas will remain open until we lockdown again

The studios have shot themselves in the foot. I don't foresee a case where more than 2/3rds of the cinemas which are closing will reopen. As a result, the money going back into the industry is just going to dwindle and dwindle. I think if one of the Marvel films or a big Pixar film came out, this would really encourage people back, however now nobody is willing to take a risk and the industry will suffer as a result. 

I've got the Peckhamplex indie near me which I go to occasionally (all films £4.99) and they closed last week too.

:( I'm gonna love next year when we come out of lockdown and I want to go to sports,  gigs, films, festivals and the theatre to celebrate but they have all closed down and the only activity you can do in the UK is shop and eat, and also I can't do any activities cause I'm broke and depressed. 201 here we come

FUCK THE TORIES

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm not unhappy about cinema pricing.  Last time I went to the pictures we paid a fiver each at a Vue cinema. A friend went to a midnight screening of the same film the night before at a boutique place where he paid £34 for the ticket and had a spacious comfy recliner chair and meals and drinks brought to him on request.  He was happy to pay the premium for that experience and I have no problem with cinemas expanding their offering to provide more than just a bog standard experience.

When I go to the cinema I do so for the sound, the atmosphere and the big screen experience.  Watching a film as a communal experience where the whole audience ahhhs and laughs and react together is well worth paying a premium for.  I love watching a decent film at home (got a nice big 4k hdr set and sweet hifi setup) and there are few films I've watched on a big screen that I haven't chosen to watch again at home, but that communal experience, that's what I love best, the same reason I prefer to attend gigs than watch them on youtube (I still watch a lot of gig footage on youtube just the same).

• Upvote 1