When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/05/second-wave-covid-dad-social-life-coronavirus-scared

Just read this article in the guardian and tbh, I find it absolutely disgusting.

This woman is imploring her dad to bin off his social life, which is surely integral to his mental health, especially given the fact that his wife is no longer with us, in order to avoid a virus that he will almost certainly survive. 

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/05/second-wave-covid-dad-social-life-coronavirus-scared

Just read this article in the guardian and tbh, I find it absolutely disgusting.

This woman is imploring her dad to bin off his social life, which is surely integral to his mental health, especially given the fact that his wife is no longer with us, in order to avoid a virus that he will almost certainly survive. 

And I read (or half read, it wasn't that interesting!) an article in which a daughter doesn't want her dad to die and is imploring him to stop being to blasé and risky, as he could well die if he catches covid.

How would you honestly feel if you told him to live his life to the max (secretly because you didn't want to curtail your social life either) , accept no compromise, then he died from covid-19? Who'd be the disgusting person then? 

I do wish you'd stop trying to depict people who are preaching caution to save others lives as dispicable and nasty and selfish - that's twice you've done it. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

And I read (or half read, it wasn't that interesting!) an article in which a daughter doesn't want her dad to die and is imploring him to stop being to blasé and risky, as he could well die if he catches covid.

How would you honestly feel if you told him to live his life to the max (secretly because you didn't want to curtail your social life either) , accept no compromise, then he died from covid-19? Who'd be the disgusting person then? 

I do wish you'd stop trying to depict people who are preaching caution to save others lives as dispicable and nasty and selfish - that's twice you've done it. 

He wasn't being risky though? He was carrying on a social life within the rules? The writer seems like a controlling nut job to me.

Just now, Mr.Tease said:

I would tell him that he is considered high risk (maybe a 3%-4% chance of dying if he catches it) so he should be pretty careful about mask wearing, hand washing, keeping a 1m+ distance from friends etc. But at the same time, I’d also acknowledge that being stuck at home all the time might well give him depression leading to untimely heart failure and a much more tragic death. It’s all a game of balance. 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

I would tell him that he is considered high risk (maybe a 3%-4% chance of dying if he catches it) so he should be pretty careful about mask wearing, hand washing, keeping a 1m+ distance from friends etc. But at the same time, I’d also acknowledge that being stuck at home all the time might well give him depression leading to untimely heart failure and a much more tragic death. It’s all a game of balance. 

4% is pretty high isn't it? I don't think I'd go to the cinema if someone told me in advance I have a 4% chance of not making it out of the screening alive! 😂

14 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

amusing, but easily done. People quickly codge-together a system that works in a crisis, thinking it's only needed for a limited time because the crisis will pass.

Problems caused by that approach have cropped up a few times now, the other major one being counting every death after a positive test as covid-related even if hit by a bus 4 months later.

Harding is still a shit manager same as at Carphone Warehouse. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

4% is pretty high isn't it? I don't think I'd go to the cinema if someone told me in advance I have a 4% chance of not making it out of the screening alive! 😂

4% chance of dying GIVEN he had the virus, so that means you have to actually catch the virus which is pretty unlikely, and then then he’d still be 96% likely to pull through. You can minimise your chances of the former by following “Hands-Face-Space”, and minimise your chances of the latter by having a good immune system (eat well, exercise a lot, maintain a good mental health, sleep enough etc)

4 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Who knows what the chances are but I would be shocked if it was that high. Ultimately it is his decision though- he wears a mask 'meticulously' and doesn't break the rule of 6. Should he lock himself in his house for the next few years? This attitude needs to change imo- the virus is here for the foreseeable it isn't going to just disappear.

Also the 4% was just a totally made up number by me, let’s not be sticking to it as gospel. If it’s truly 0.4% in the population as a whole I wouldn’t expect someone in their sixties with a heart problem to be 10x as likely to die. Really the scary odds don’t kick in until you’re over 70. 

2 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Also the 4% was just a totally made up number by me, let’s not be sticking to it as gospel. If it’s truly 0.4% in the population as a whole I wouldn’t expect someone in their sixties with a heart problem to be 10x as likely to die. Really the scary odds don’t kick in until you’re over 70. 

I know, I was joking 😉 it did make me think about what activity I'd maybe curtail at those kind of odds though - imagine the tension of watching that film with a 4% fatality rate! 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

But it's not a 4% chance of dying if you go out it's a 4% chance of dying if you catch it and given this dad is following all the rules the chances of him catching it will be even smaller.

I wouldn't call the author disgusting but certainly she is patronising in the extreme, her dad knows the risks and is abiding by the rules, so that's his choice surely.

• Upvote 1

My boss most likely has the virus. Son tested positive, Wife had mild symptoms and awaiting test result & although he text me yesterday saying he had no symptoms we've spoken over the phone today and he has a tight chest so has now registered for a test...

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

That's criminal, but it really doesn't suprise me. Until recently I worked in several local authorities and the things that are being administered using Excel and or Access is crazy. That's not just limited to he public sector either. 

The worst thing is the lack of desire to move away from these crude processes to something more suitable and sustainable...but people don't want to give up 'control'.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

amusing, but easily done. People quickly codge-together a system that works in a crisis, thinking it's only needed for a limited time because the crisis will pass.

Problems caused by that approach have cropped up a few times now, the other major one being counting every death after a positive test as covid-related even if hit by a bus 4 months later.

Harding is still a shit manager same as at Carphone Warehouse. ;) 

Exactly that, my previous employer started managing it's response to Covid on a series of spreadsheets... Until a few of use were asked to do some work with the data they had collected and couldn't because it was crap. Using existing systems with some minor configuration a more robust process was put in place. Problem is it's not just limited to things on times of crisis!

People set up what they know rather than ask for help. The way the data is distributed to local government is equally bonkers it's 2020 not 1990....

2 minutes ago, RobertProsineckisLighter said:

I guess the thinking is that you have a limited number of vaccines and a limited window, catching the virus seems to give some immunity so if you let the children and young people who are least likely to suffer badly from it, you are in effect vaccinating them - just for free and naturally. 

By focusing a roll out on those more likely to get sick you are increasing their chances of surviving and not needing hospital. Your effectively giving them a head start of the virus because their body needs it's. Where as the youngun's body in the vast majority of cases doesn't need the head start.

So while the vaccine might be more effective in kids it's not offering the same benefits as doing the older and vuberable first. 

I'm sure @Toilet Duck will be along at somepoint to tell us all the science behind the headlines.

Yes, it's true that the vaccines (like most vaccines) will probably work better in younger individuals. But (and it's a big but), we don't really know how well any of the vaccines will work in terms of catching and spreading the virus. Some vaccines are very good at stopping you from getting infected and preventing onward transmission (the measles vaccine for example), others are better at stopping you from developing disease after infection (like the flu shot). The primary efficacy endpoints in the trial protocols I have read (for a bunch of the vaccines) have a positive PCR test and at least 1 symptom (fever, cough etc) for mild COVID-19 and additional clinical parameters for a case definition of severe COVID-19 (respiratory failure, SpO2<93%, renal/hepatic/neurological disfunction and few other things). They are not evaluating sterilising immunity that stops you from even catching the virus (don't know if such a thing is even possible with coronaviruses), but how good the vaccines are at preventing COVID (with endpoints for both mild COVID and severe COVID and they are aiming for 50% efficacy or better...for comparison, the flu shot is usually about 30%-50% effective, but is still massively beneficial in terms of the number of lives saved per year). Considering most people that catch the virus don't develop COVID, but can still spread it, I just have this niggling feeling that unless we roll out nasally delivered vaccines (and beef up mucosal immunity), people will still catch it and pass it on even if vaccinated (I could be completely wrong, it's just a gut feeling...but it's based on the idea that cross-immunity lies behind the mild cases and this could theoretically still happen if that immunity were gained via vaccination...I suspect that upper respiratory tract infection will still occur and I couldn't even say for sure that nasally delivered vaccines would prevent this, or at what rate of efficacy). If sterilising immunity was the goal of the trials, then the primary endpoint would simply be a positive PCR test...but it's not, probably because they all know its an incredibly high bar to aim for. That breaks down the entire premise of vaccinating the young to protect the vulnerable....so I'd still be targeting high risk and vulnerable  individuals in the first instance so long as the ongoing trials demonstrate that the vaccine candidates are at least as effective as flu shots at preventing disease (long COVID and other things create a case for wider vaccination, especially if we get a few more years safety data from their use, but we also need more data on the prevalence of this and tons more studies on the pathology of COVID to evaluate the risk/benefit of population level vaccination). Given the massive animal reservoir of CoVs, I don't think they are the kind of viruses that we can eliminate like smallpox (which didn't have a large animal reservoir, so had nowhere to hide), so preventing serious illness and death is probably what we are aiming for and would be a good outcome. However, everything is changing rapidly, so who knows!

• Upvote 3

Just now, Homer said:

I wouldn't have previously associated Lana Del Ray with being as thick as shit

As a fan of her music, I find it best to just ignore her as a person. The other week she posted an absolutely ridiculous video of her filming herself, whilst driving fast (obviously one handed) on a cliffside highway, with a foot up on the dashboard... embarassing.

51 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

My boss most likely has the virus. Son tested positive, Wife had mild symptoms and awaiting test result & although he text me yesterday saying he had no symptoms we've spoken over the phone today and he has a tight chest so has now registered for a test...

Hope all goes well...

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

Just got a press release for work. The O2 are to begin doing socially distanced gigs, kicking off with Squeeze playing the first Saturday night in December. Capacity reduced from 20,000 to 4700.

That's potentially encouraging news for the live music industry, any idea when it'll be broadcast to the public?