When will this shit end?

Chrisp1986

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I consider myself to be a pretty calm and collected person but whenever I think about how much this gang of crooks have fucked up (and still continue to fuck up) over the course of this pandemic and how they continue to not be held accountable, it fills me with an ire I’ve never felt for anything before in my life. When will they be held accountable!? 

I say I am calm and collected because surely there are people far less calm and collected than I am who must be filled with incandescent rage. Basically what I’m saying is, is that the more they get away with, the only way I can see them being held accountable and being removed from power is if we have a storming of the bastille moment :lol: 

We housemate has been predicting 2021 riots. - I thought he was crazy but now it is getting scarily understandable

4 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Just seen this online, they need to propely sort out the specimine date because without context this is terrifying to look at 

Screenshot_20201004-222303_Twitter.jpg

There's a separate graph for specimen date, it shows this:

Screenshot 2020-10-04 at 22.29.20.png

Edited by Ozanne

Just now, Ozanne said:

The concerning aspect for me still is that this is before the Winter, what happens when the weather is really bad, people are still inside and standard illnesses crop up more.

Some might suggest that sending kids to school and university was intended to do precisely what we are seeing, a controlled burn of infection ahead of the winter, with the tap turned off at the right time.  This is essentially stated Government policy after all.

1 minute ago, Spindles said:

Some might suggest that sending kids to school and university was intended to do precisely what we are seeing, a controlled burn of infection ahead of the winter, with the tap turned off at the right time.  This is essentially stated Government policy after all.

Potentially. I doubt that Government is able to organise something like that though, what we are seeing now isn't through any design of theirs as seen through the Chancellor having to tear up his Autumn budget at the 11th hour due to the rising cases.

1 minute ago, ace56blaa said:

We housemate has been predicting 2021 riots. - I thought he was crazy but now it is getting scarily understandable

To me, that should have happened already, but it hasn’t and won’t (I don’t think, anyway). Too many people aren’t angry enough (they should be) and too many still think that they’ve been ‘doing their best’. I’ve said it before but William Blake’s ‘London’ is just as relevant in 2020 as it was in 1794. Something needs to change. 

5 minutes ago, Spindles said:

I don't know...maybe....but I really think they were genuinely worried about long term effects of kids missing out on school. They really, really needed to get testing, tracing, and safety in schools and Unis sorted out, they had all summer....but instead they wasted it with stupid stuff like Cummings messing with whitehall and negotiations with EU which could have been postponed by extending the transition. 

Edited by steviewevie

3 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

To me, that should have happened already, but it hasn’t and won’t (I don’t think, anyway). Too many people aren’t angry enough (they should be) and too many still think that they’ve been ‘doing their best’. I’ve said it before but William Blake’s ‘London’ is just as relevant in 2020 as it was in 1794. Something needs to change. 

Haven't read that, will check it out.

14 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

@Ozanne - got to admit it, you won

Time for lockdown IMO

What does lockdown mean though? It's just a set of restrictions on a sliding scale and we need to decide where we slide it. Shut the pubs? Shut the gyms? Shut "non-essential" shops like Primark or Sports Direct? I really hope this bloody government has some data.

Whatever they do needs targeted support for the sectors forced to close.

The universities though - they're the real shitshow in all this. Shipping uninhibited, newly unpatented, heavy drinking young adults about the country to live cheek to cheek with each other? Was never going to end well.

But it certainly looks like something has got to give.

5 minutes ago, Toilet Duck said:

Our version of SAGE (NPHET) tonight just recommended putting the entire country at level 5 restrictions for 4 weeks (5km from you house max, no visitors, no outdoor gatherings, no sport, WFH, restaurants/pubs take away only etc...only differences from lockdown earlier in the year is that schools won’t close and non-essential shops will stay open)...being discussed at cabinet tomorrow (they we’re pretty shocked at the suggestion by all accounts)...so far the government haven’t rejected an NPHET recommendation, but it’s a new government, so let’s see...fwiw, we’re currently at around 104 per 100,000 cases nationally, so just below where the UK is as a whole.

I think people would support this but only if they promised it was a 4 week thing instead of indefinitely adding on weeks, I fear this will become a situation where the cure is worse than the virus - I work in a school and would selfishly wonder as to why I could see 30 other children but not my own friends and family 

As we're dealing with the Tories theyll find a way around it, I expect they'll put much stricter measures on the worst affected areas rather than the whole country, I'm in Norfolk which is a very Conservative area and it's been reported on my local news a lot of MPs around here would have problems with us being placed under strict lockdowns because we have a much lower infection rate to the rest of the country so I could see ugly scenes in parliament if this were the case 

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

To me, that should have happened already, but it hasn’t and won’t (I don’t think, anyway).

Yeah, I sort of expected it at the end of the spring but it never came to pass and I relaxed.  I'm not so sure what the climate will be like in the next few weeks and months, to be honest.  Everything that we have seen this year had been predicted, both in scholarly literature and fiction and it has been interesting to see how some of that prediction panned out.  Civil unrest is something that is frequently referenced as a possibility of keeping the population in a non-normal civil state for any period of time, I think furlough saved us earlier in the year and it will be interesting to see what the nation looks like by November and December.  I think the world will look much changed from the pre-pandemic world by March.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The universities though - they're the real shitshow in all this. Shipping uninhibited, newly unpatented, heavy drinking young adults about the country to live cheek to cheek with each other? Was never going to end well.

Again, this is my paranoid head speaking, but it's sort of ideal.  A large chunk of the population in housing that can easily be policed for people breaking regulations, given a period of freedom to spread and then locked down gets a big chunk of the population, mostly less vulnerable adults through natural inoculation.  It seems to me that this is potentially a safer way to deal with that section of the population than them being at home.  It also seems like a nightmare authoritarian dreamscape that such a thing would actually happen and be anything more than the stoned ramblings of an old man.

The Daily Express are wrong about everything all of the time.  It's sort of their signature.  For evidence, look at every "Frozen hellscape winter coming" and "Record temperatures coming" front pages that they do ALL the frickin time.  I basically pack an umbrella if the Express is predicting sun and hellscape winter means I can keep the summer jacket on til spring.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What does lockdown mean though? It's just a set of restrictions on a sliding scale and we need to decide where we slide it. Shut the pubs? Shut the gyms? Shut "non-essential" shops like Primark or Sports Direct? I really hope this bloody government has some data.

Whatever they do needs targeted support for the sectors forced to close.

But it certainly looks like something has got to give.

Schools are such a huge vector, every European country’s second wave has pretty much correlated with 2 weeks after the schools opened.

We managed to have society up and running pretty nicely over summer but now it seems like they’re going to mothball everything else just to keep the schools open. It’s a disgrace really. But then I say that as someone who doesn’t have kids now but is planning to in the future so I have a biased interest in schools being closed.